Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > How To Print PIX 515 Configuration

How To Print PIX 515 Configuration

Albie

I am looking for a way to print the configuration of the PIX 515 to a
file. How is this done? I am not sure how to do it using the "write",
"configure" or "show" commands. I can't figure out the proper syntax to
print it out to a file. Can any one tell me how to do this? I'm a
newbie to Cisco so I need details.

Thanks

Chris Bartram

Albie wrote:
> I am looking for a way to print the configuration of the PIX 515 to a
> file. How is this done? I am not sure how to do it using the "write",
> "configure" or "show" commands. I can't figure out the proper syntax to
> print it out to a file. Can any one tell me how to do this? I'm a
> newbie to Cisco so I need details.
>
> Thanks

I always just use a terminal emulator program (I use PuTTY for
over-the-network sessions, and hyperterminal or minicom for serial),
and turn on logging for printable output to a file, then do a 'show
run'. There might be a fancy way, but this is very straightforward.

Almost any terminal emulator will do this- hyperterminal will if you use
Transfer....Capture text option.

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
Albie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:I am looking for a way to print the configuration of the PIX 515 to a
:file. How is this done? I am not sure how to do it using the "write",
:"configure" or "show" commands. I can't figure out the proper syntax to
rint it out to a file. Can any one tell me how to do this? I'm a
:newbie to Cisco so I need details.

1) set up a tftp server
2) [on most servers but not all] pre-create the destination file and
make it writable by the tftp daemon (e.g., world writable)
3) on the PIX, go into configuration mode and use the tftp-server
command to point to the correct interface and host and filename.[*]
4) on the PIX, go into configuration mode and command write net
IMPORTANT: you MUST be in configuration mode, not in command mode!
5) back on the tftp server, look at the newly-written file.

[*] Advanced Use:

You need the tftp-server command to indicate the proper interface, but
it does not actually need to indicate the proper host or proper output
file. You can specify the host and output file on the "write net"
command-line.

write net THEHOST:FILENAME

The default interface for tftp-server is the inside interface.

you know who maybe

"Albie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I am looking for a way to print the configuration of the PIX 515 to a
> file. How is this done? I am not sure how to do it using the "write",
> "configure" or "show" commands. I can't figure out the proper syntax to
> print it out to a file. Can any one tell me how to do this? I'm a
> newbie to Cisco so I need details.

This is one place that PDM really works well. In PDM you can go to File
|Show Running config in new window. I use PDM now all the time because I can
view the config in a window and scroll up and down, and if I need to enter a
command at the CLI., I do so from the Tools menu. The best of both worlds,
IMO.

Albie

you know who maybe wrote:
> "Albie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >I am looking for a way to print the configuration of the PIX 515 to a
> > file. How is this done? I am not sure how to do it using the "write",
> > "configure" or "show" commands. I can't figure out the proper syntax to
> > print it out to a file. Can any one tell me how to do this? I'm a
> > newbie to Cisco so I need details.
> >

> This is one place that PDM really works well. In PDM you can go to File
> |Show Running config in new window. I use PDM now all the time because I can
> view the config in a window and scroll up and down, and if I need to enter a
> command at the CLI., I do so from the Tools menu. The best of both worlds,
> IMO.

What is PDM and is it a tool for Cisco products? Where can I find this
tool and how is it run? I've already asked for the file and received it
after my colleague was able to copy and paste it to a notepad. It was
tedious and impracticle to do it that way but if we used this "PDM" it
might help us to better view the configuration. Thanks again!

Albie

I'll try this out and see howfar I can get into it without screwing up
anything. Thanks.

you know who maybe

"Albie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> you know who maybe wrote:
>> "Albie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> >I am looking for a way to print the configuration of the PIX 515 to a
>> > file. How is this done? I am not sure how to do it using the "write",
>> > "configure" or "show" commands. I can't figure out the proper syntax to
>> > print it out to a file. Can any one tell me how to do this? I'm a
>> > newbie to Cisco so I need details.
>> >

>> This is one place that PDM really works well. In PDM you can go to File
>> |Show Running config in new window. I use PDM now all the time because I
>> can
>> view the config in a window and scroll up and down, and if I need to
>> enter a
>> command at the CLI., I do so from the Tools menu. The best of both
>> worlds,
>> IMO.

> What is PDM and is it a tool for Cisco products? Where can I find this
> tool and how is it run? I've already asked for the file and received it
> after my colleague was able to copy and paste it to a notepad. It was
> tedious and impracticle to do it that way but if we used this "PDM" it
> might help us to better view the configuration. Thanks again!

PDM is a graphical user interface (GUI) for PIX. It is downloaded from
Cisco's website if you have a maintenance contract, etc.

To see if you have PDM already installed type "show ver" at the config line.
You are looking for something like this:

Cisco PIX Firewall Version 6.3(5)
Cisco PIX Device Manager Version 3.0(4)

everyidgone@iamnottellingdotcom.com

"Albie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>you know who maybe wrote:
>> "Albie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> >I am looking for a way to print the configuration of the PIX 515 to a
>> > file. How is this done? I am not sure how to do it using the "write",
>> > "configure" or "show" commands. I can't figure out the proper syntax to
>> > print it out to a file. Can any one tell me how to do this? I'm a
>> > newbie to Cisco so I need details.
>> >

>> This is one place that PDM really works well. In PDM you can go to File
>> |Show Running config in new window. I use PDM now all the time because I can
>> view the config in a window and scroll up and down, and if I need to enter a
>> command at the CLI., I do so from the Tools menu. The best of both worlds,
>> IMO.

>What is PDM and is it a tool for Cisco products? Where can I find this
>tool and how is it run? I've already asked for the file and received it
>after my colleague was able to copy and paste it to a notepad. It was
>tedious and impracticle to do it that way but if we used this "PDM" it
>might help us to better view the configuration. Thanks again!

PDM (PIX Device Manager) is a monitoring and management tool that must be
installed on your PIX and you must have a current valid maintenance contract
with Cisco to dl it.

When I was a Cisco new-newbie I refused to believe the 'experts' when I was told
to learn from the CLI because it is too slow and limited to rely on PDM. Not
that GUI editing is bad but Cisco's PDM just plain sucks for editing your
configuration! Now that I am a old-newbie, I understand. The PDM is great for
monitoring (mine runs all the time) but seriously learn to configure your PIX
from the CLI; the free telnet prog. Putty is one of the best (much better than
Microsoft's telnet).

BTW, if you have an older PIX, be prepared to shell out a lot of extra money if
you want the latest PDM because your PIX will require more memory.

Anyhow, viewing and printing your configuration is really simple from within PDM
like another contributor stated already. FILE / SHOW RUNNING CONF in another
window.

To access PDM, simply open your Internet Browser (doesn't work in Firefox), and
enter: https://yourpixipaddress

For an excellent resource about PDM see here:
http://www.netcraftsmen.net/welcher/papers/pdm.html

To print your configuration from PuTTY
(http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/)
Login to your PIX
Type: #sh conf (for show configuration)
Click the top/left screen icon (in Putty) and select, "COPY ALL TO CLIPBOARD"
Open a text browser and paste.

That is all.

Shawn