Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Sturdiest damn digital camera with compact flash and ni-mh batteries!

Sturdiest damn digital camera with compact flash and ni-mh batteries!

Ian Stirling

In sci.chem.electrochem.battery Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> William Graham wrote:
>

>> I got so mad at a computer once that I put it on my garage floor and smashed
>> the hell out of it with a sledge hammer..........(Didn't buy another one for
>> about 10 years, either.)

> A course a local college might have been more productive.

You'd need a bigger hammer though.

William Graham

"Alan Browne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Whgte.3367$(E-Mail Removed)...
> William Graham wrote:
>

>> I got so mad at a computer once that I put it on my garage floor and
>> smashed the hell out of it with a sledge hammer..........(Didn't buy
>> another one for about 10 years, either.)

> A course a local college might have been more productive.

Yes, but in those days they didn't teach Anger Management at the local
community college........

Mark²

"Whacky Blacky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> What is the most rugged consumer digital camera with cf and ni-mh
> batteries?
>
> I've broken the battery door on my Nikon, the slider door on my
> Olympus, the over the lens shutter of the Canon, even the pop-up flash
> of my 35mm EOS and electrical switches on my Minolta 7000 SLR. (I've
> got a box filled with broken cameras and camera bodies and lenses, all
> purchased new - is there any value to this on the open market?).
>
> Point is, I'm rough on cameras (they get wet, they get mudbrody, they
> get dusty, dew condenses on them, they get backpacked, they get warmed
> in the trunk, they get dropped, ... in short ... I use my cameras.

I hear Fischer-Price makes some nice camera's for similarly clumsy
4-year-olds...

Alan Browne

William Graham wrote:
> "Alan Browne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> A course a local college might have been more productive.
>>

> Yes, but in those days they didn't teach Anger Management at the
> local community college........

I meant a computer course, of course; but the other posters reply about
not using sledgehammers much is the best...

William Graham

"Alan Browne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:WGjte.16978$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> William Graham wrote:
>> "Alan Browne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> A course a local college might have been more productive.
>>>

>> Yes, but in those days they didn't teach Anger Management at the
>> local community college........

> I meant a computer course, of course; but the other posters reply about
> not using sledgehammers much is the best...

Yes. The really funny part is that I used to repair IBM machines, including
early computers, and one of the most useful tools I carried was a 5 lb.
sledge hammer. It was really useful when you need to "force" something and
you didn't have much room to swing a regular hammer....You could get a lot
of force out of only a few inches travel.....

Frank ess

Mark² wrote:
> "Whacky Blacky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> What is the most rugged consumer digital camera with cf and ni-mh
>> batteries?
>>
>> I've broken the battery door on my Nikon, the slider door on my
>> Olympus, the over the lens shutter of the Canon, even the pop-up
>> flash of my 35mm EOS and electrical switches on my Minolta 7000
>> SLR.
>> (I've got a box filled with broken cameras and camera bodies and
>> lenses, all purchased new - is there any value to this on the open
>> market?). Point is, I'm rough on cameras (they get wet, they get
>> mudbrody, they
>> get dusty, dew condenses on them, they get backpacked, they get
>> warmed in the trunk, they get dropped, ... in short ... I use my
>> cameras.

> I hear Fischer-Price makes some nice camera's for similarly clumsy
> 4-year-olds...

I bet that someone old enough to shop for a "rugged consumer digital
camera" has had enough experiences to both need a good camera, and be
resigned to equipment-breaking as a way of life. I'll also wager
cameras are not the only pieces of hardware he has boxes of broken of
(!).

My suggestion, should he decide to accept it, is: seek counseling. You
can break one last thing: your break-it habit. I bet the breakage
never happens until you've somehow decided the equipment is not worthy
of you in a basic way, and you'd move on up if you just didn't have
this faulty thing to use instead.

--
Frank ess
"There _are_ no accidents, if you dig deep enough and have a fertile

BigEd

Frank ess wrote:
> Mark² wrote:
>
>> "Whacky Blacky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>
>>> What is the most rugged consumer digital camera with cf and ni-mh
>>> batteries?
>>>
>>> I've broken the battery door on my Nikon, the slider door on my
>>> Olympus, the over the lens shutter of the Canon, even the pop-up
>>> flash of my 35mm EOS and electrical switches on my Minolta 7000 SLR.
>>> (I've got a box filled with broken cameras and camera bodies and
>>> lenses, all purchased new - is there any value to this on the open
>>> market?). Point is, I'm rough on cameras (they get wet, they get
>>> mudbrody, they
>>> get dusty, dew condenses on them, they get backpacked, they get
>>> warmed in the trunk, they get dropped, ... in short ... I use my
>>> cameras.

>> I hear Fischer-Price makes some nice camera's for similarly clumsy
>> 4-year-olds...
>>

> I bet that someone old enough to shop for a "rugged consumer digital
> camera" has had enough experiences to both need a good camera, and be
> resigned to equipment-breaking as a way of life. I'll also wager cameras
> are not the only pieces of hardware he has boxes of broken of (!).
>
> My suggestion, should he decide to accept it, is: seek counseling. You
> can break one last thing: your break-it habit. I bet the breakage never
> happens until you've somehow decided the equipment is not worthy of you
> in a basic way, and you'd move on up if you just didn't have this faulty
> thing to use instead.

This thread just shows you how dumb some people really are. Now smashing
a computer on the floor of a garage with a sledge hammer. I do not
really think the computer is stupid, as much as the user who did not
know what he was doing.
The same holds true with the fellow who started this whole thing. I
agree that a box of broken cameras is not the only box full of broken
things he has.
And to ramble on and on ad nauseaum just proves my point.
And then to cross post his garbage is another really dumb assed thing to do.

Ed

Bill Funk

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 11:36:25 -0400, Alan Browne
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>William Graham wrote:
>

>> I got so mad at a computer once that I put it on my garage floor and smashed
>> the hell out of it with a sledge hammer..........(Didn't buy another one for
>> about 10 years, either.)

>A course a local college might have been more productive.

The local colleges around here don't have classes on smashing
computers.
Do yours?

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

ian lincoln

"Bill Funk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 11:36:25 -0400, Alan Browne
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>William Graham wrote:
>>

>>> I got so mad at a computer once that I put it on my garage floor and
>>> smashed
>>> the hell out of it with a sledge hammer..........(Didn't buy another one
>>> for
>>> about 10 years, either.)

>>A course a local college might have been more productive.

> The local colleges around here don't have classes on smashing
> computers.
> Do yours?

not smashing computers but they do courses on mediocre machines.