Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Smallest digital camera that uses AA batteries and compact flash?

Smallest digital camera that uses AA batteries and compact flash?

R. Zammataro

Q1: Are the prices DIFFERENT when we go through dpreview.com?
Q2: Is there a better smaller camera than the Canon PowerShot A95?

I see from prior messages that a good digital camera is the Canon S1
IS, but that camera is too large for my in-pocket needs. What do you
think about the Powershot A95 for my needs?

I don't need the 10x zoom lens of the Canon SI IS yet I very much
desire the aa batteries and compact flash card features of the
PowerShot A95.

Searching www.dpreview.com, I find dpreview does NOT provide a
buying-guide button to find all cameras which use aa batteries. Drat.
You'd think for such an important choice that can't be changed later,
they'd have a selection for it. Oh well, dpreview does have a button
for everything else -
a. pocket size (nothing bigger than a coolpix 2100 for example)
b. compact flash (they don't have to supply the CF card with the
camera)
c. aa batteries (they don't have to supply the aa batteries with the
camera)

Having hit those buttons, I have a question to ask before I go ahead
and buy.

Q1: I seem to get DIFFERENT prices & in-stock availability when I go to
directly to the seller's web page than when I get there through
dpreveiew. How can that be?

Q2: Is there a better smaller camera than the A95 that takes aa
batteries and compact flash (other than the similar Canon PowerShot
A85)?

Paul Rubin

"R. Zammataro" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Q2: Is there a better smaller camera than the A95 that takes aa
> batteries and compact flash (other than the similar Canon PowerShot
> A85)?

I went through this exercise and have pretty much decided to give up
on the CF requirement and get a Canon A510, which uses SD. A 256MB SD
card is only about 20 bucks these days, and holds 200+ frames at fine
compression. Right now I use a 128MB card in my S100 (2MP) and have
never come anywhere near filling it before I get around to uploading
the shots to a computer.

R. Zammataro

Paul Rubin wrote:
> I went through this exercise and have pretty much decided to give up
> on the CF requirement and get a Canon A510, which uses SD.

I just compared the A510 with the A95 for the featues I care about and
the comparison is reasonably favorable.

The Canon A510 seems to be about 100 dollars cheaper than the A95!
The Canon A510 is about a half-inch shorter & a whopping 4 oz lighter!'

The A510 uses only two aa batteries instead of the 4 batteries in the
A95 so that's probably part of the weight reduction. Even with the
lighter two aa batteries, the A510 still manages 300 shots per charge
which is favorable compared with the 650 shots per charge of the A95
with 4 aa batteries.

The only bad thing is that the Canon A510 uses the wrong storage media.

I guess I could just add an extra 90 dollars for the 1GB SD card (I
have four or five 1 GB compact flash cards on hand - and one 2 GB cf
card on order).

I do like smaller/cheaper aspect of the A510 over the A95.

Paul Rubin

"R. Zammataro" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> I guess I could just add an extra 90 dollars for the 1GB SD card (I
> have four or five 1 GB compact flash cards on hand - and one 2 GB cf
> card on order).

Here's one for $70:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...ductCode=80411

I think I'd just get by with a smaller card.

Steve Cosh

R. Zammataro wrote:
> Q1: Are the prices DIFFERENT when we go through dpreview.com?
> Q2: Is there a better smaller camera than the Canon PowerShot A95?
>
> I see from prior messages that a good digital camera is the Canon S1
> IS, but that camera is too large for my in-pocket needs. What do you
> think about the Powershot A95 for my needs?
>
> I don't need the 10x zoom lens of the Canon SI IS yet I very much
> desire the aa batteries and compact flash card features of the
> PowerShot A95.
>
> Searching www.dpreview.com, I find dpreview does NOT provide a
> buying-guide button to find all cameras which use aa batteries. Drat.
> You'd think for such an important choice that can't be changed later,
> they'd have a selection for it. Oh well, dpreview does have a button
> for everything else -
> a. pocket size (nothing bigger than a coolpix 2100 for example)
> b. compact flash (they don't have to supply the CF card with the
> camera)
> c. aa batteries (they don't have to supply the aa batteries with the
> camera)
>
> Having hit those buttons, I have a question to ask before I go ahead
> and buy.
>
> Q1: I seem to get DIFFERENT prices & in-stock availability when I go to
> directly to the seller's web page than when I get there through
> dpreveiew. How can that be?
>
> Q2: Is there a better smaller camera than the A95 that takes aa
> batteries and compact flash (other than the similar Canon PowerShot
> A85)?

I own the A95 and im telling you you wont be disapointed.

I dont know wether the A510 has the fold out screen like the A95, this
is a very handy feature

Ron Hunter

Paul Rubin wrote:
> "R. Zammataro" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>>Q2: Is there a better smaller camera than the A95 that takes aa
>>batteries and compact flash (other than the similar Canon PowerShot
>>A85)?

> I went through this exercise and have pretty much decided to give up
> on the CF requirement and get a Canon A510, which uses SD. A 256MB SD
> card is only about 20 bucks these days, and holds 200+ frames at fine
> compression. Right now I use a 128MB card in my S100 (2MP) and have
> never come anywhere near filling it before I get around to uploading
> the shots to a computer.

I filled a 256meg SD and a 128meg SD on an Alaskan Cruise. I believe my
great niece and her husband have filled more than that on their vacation
to Banff. I guess it depends on where you go. Last vacation was to
Shreveport, La. Took 13 pictures.... Sigh.

--
Ron Hunter http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Ron Hunter

R. Zammataro wrote:

> Paul Rubin wrote:
>
>>I went through this exercise and have pretty much decided to give up
>>on the CF requirement and get a Canon A510, which uses SD.

> I just compared the A510 with the A95 for the featues I care about and
> the comparison is reasonably favorable.
>
> The Canon A510 seems to be about 100 dollars cheaper than the A95!
> The Canon A510 is about a half-inch shorter & a whopping 4 oz lighter!'
>
> The A510 uses only two aa batteries instead of the 4 batteries in the
> A95 so that's probably part of the weight reduction. Even with the
> lighter two aa batteries, the A510 still manages 300 shots per charge
> which is favorable compared with the 650 shots per charge of the A95
> with 4 aa batteries.
>
> The only bad thing is that the Canon A510 uses the wrong storage media.
>
> I guess I could just add an extra 90 dollars for the 1GB SD card (I
> have four or five 1 GB compact flash cards on hand - and one 2 GB cf
> card on order).
>
> I do like smaller/cheaper aspect of the A510 over the A95.

I believe you can probably find a 1GB SD card for in the $50-$60 range...
They are about 1/4 the cost they were when I bought them for my vacation
only 1 year ago!

--
Ron Hunter (E-Mail Removed)

Nostrobino

"R. Zammataro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Q1: Are the prices DIFFERENT when we go through dpreview.com?
> Q2: Is there a better smaller camera than the Canon PowerShot A95?
>
> I see from prior messages that a good digital camera is the Canon S1
> IS, but that camera is too large for my in-pocket needs. What do you
> think about the Powershot A95 for my needs?

I have a PowerShot A95 and really like it a lot, even though I am not
particularly a Canon fan. At the price, I don't think the A95 can be beat,
especially with your requirements for AA batteries and CompactFlash. There
are few cameras smaller than the A95 that take those batteries and media,
and those few are way behind the A95 in terms of features. The swing-out LCD
monitor alone puts it head and shoulders above everything else in its price
range.

It is *not* the most pocketable camera out there, that's for sure. It does
slip easily into a pants pocket, but it's a bit heavy. Mine weighs 12.3
ounces loaded, on my postal scale. A much better solution is to carry it in
a lightweight case with a belt loop. I bought one in Wal-Mart for 94 cents
that happens to fit the A95 perfectly.

> I don't need the 10x zoom lens of the Canon SI IS yet I very much
> desire the aa batteries and compact flash card features of the
> PowerShot A95.
>
> Searching www.dpreview.com, I find dpreview does NOT provide a
> buying-guide button to find all cameras which use aa batteries. Drat.
> You'd think for such an important choice that can't be changed later,
> they'd have a selection for it. Oh well, dpreview does have a button
> for everything else -
> a. pocket size (nothing bigger than a coolpix 2100 for example)
> b. compact flash (they don't have to supply the CF card with the
> camera)
> c. aa batteries (they don't have to supply the aa batteries with the
> camera)
>
> Having hit those buttons, I have a question to ask before I go ahead
> and buy.
>
> Q1: I seem to get DIFFERENT prices & in-stock availability when I go to
> directly to the seller's web page than when I get there through
> dpreveiew. How can that be?

Online prices often change from day to day, either up or down. DPReview for
some reason does not seem to be as up to date as some others, but *any* site
may give you not-quite-current prices. Also, the seller with the best price
today may not be the one with the best price tomorrow.

When I bought my A95 from Buy.com a few weeks ago, it was $259.99 with free
shipping. That was the best price available from any reputable seller on
that day. I see they still have it at the same price, but many other
aggressive online sellers change prices constantly. Check www.bizrate.com
for prices, but even they are not always up-to-the-minute.

> Q2: Is there a better smaller camera than the A95 that takes aa
> batteries and compact flash (other than the similar Canon PowerShot
> A85)?

I doubt it. There are lots of fine smaller cameras, some taking AA batteries
too, but that CF requirement really makes it tough.

N.

Steven M. Scharf

R. Zammataro wrote:
> Q1: Are the prices DIFFERENT when we go through dpreview.com?
> Q2: Is there a better smaller camera than the Canon PowerShot A95?
>
> I see from prior messages that a good digital camera is the Canon S1
> IS, but that camera is too large for my in-pocket needs. What do you
> think about the Powershot A95 for my needs?
>
> I don't need the 10x zoom lens of the Canon SI IS yet I very much
> desire the aa batteries and compact flash card features of the
> PowerShot A95.
>
> Searching www.dpreview.com, I find dpreview does NOT provide a
> buying-guide button to find all cameras which use aa batteries. Drat.
> You'd think for such an important choice that can't be changed later,
> they'd have a selection for it. Oh well, dpreview does have a button
> for everything else -

Use http://dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php which has a much better
search engine, including battery type and AF assist.

There are only a few cameras that show up with CF, AA, and AFI, under
$400 and of those, the A95 is the best choice.

Nostrobino

"R. Zammataro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> Paul Rubin wrote:
>> I went through this exercise and have pretty much decided to give up
>> on the CF requirement and get a Canon A510, which uses SD.

> I just compared the A510 with the A95 for the featues I care about and
> the comparison is reasonably favorable.
>
> The Canon A510 seems to be about 100 dollars cheaper than the A95!
> The Canon A510 is about a half-inch shorter & a whopping 4 oz lighter!'
>
> The A510 uses only two aa batteries instead of the 4 batteries in the
> A95 so that's probably part of the weight reduction. Even with the
> lighter two aa batteries, the A510 still manages 300 shots per charge
> which is favorable compared with the 650 shots per charge of the A95
> with 4 aa batteries.
>
> The only bad thing is that the Canon A510 uses the wrong storage media.
>
> I guess I could just add an extra 90 dollars for the 1GB SD card (I
> have four or five 1 GB compact flash cards on hand - and one 2 GB cf
> card on order).
>
> I do like smaller/cheaper aspect of the A510 over the A95.

It's smaller and more pocketable, all right. A quick check of prices shows
the A510 is selling for about $90 less than the A95, but with the number of
memory cards that you evidently buy you'll soon use up that difference.

Note also that the A510 is not nearly the camera that the A95 is. It's a
3-megapixel camera where the A95 has 5 megapixels, and it doesn't have the
very useful swing-out LCD monitor that the A95 has. On the other hand, these
differences may not be important to you, and the A510 does have a 4x zoom
lens as opposed to the A95's 3x zoom. If pocketability is all-important to
you then the A510 may be better for that reason alone, but then there are
other cameras much more pocketable than the A510, such as the Pentax Optio S
and Minolta X series cameras, albeit at higher prices--but those higher
prices usually include Li ion rechargeable battery and charger. "You pays
yer penny and you takes yer choice."

N.