Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Correcting Vignetting

Correcting Vignetting

Pete Schultz

I have some photos that suffer from mild vignetting (drop off of
brightness/luminance near the edges). My photo editing software is Paint
Shop Pro 8 but it doesn't have any option for this. Are there any
plug-ins available that will let me do this correction? Also, I haven't
installed any plug-ins for PSP - how is it done if I find a suitable one?

Pete S...

John A. Stovall

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 21:58:11 -0500, Pete Schultz <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have some photos that suffer from mild vignetting (drop off of
>brightness/luminance near the edges). My photo editing software is Paint
>Shop Pro 8 but it doesn't have any option for this. Are there any
>plug-ins available that will let me do this correction? Also, I haven't
>installed any plug-ins for PSP - how is it done if I find a suitable one?

Photoshop CS2 let you correct vignetting while processing the raw
file.

"The condition of civil affairs in Texas is anomalous,
singular, and unsatisfactory."

Maj. Gen. Philip H. Sherdan
Bvt. Maj. Gen. John A. Rawlins
November 14, 1866

Pete S...

John A. Stovall wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 21:58:11 -0500, Pete Schultz <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>I have some photos that suffer from mild vignetting (drop off of
>>brightness/luminance near the edges). My photo editing software is Paint
>>Shop Pro 8 but it doesn't have any option for this. Are there any
>>plug-ins available that will let me do this correction? Also, I haven't
>>installed any plug-ins for PSP - how is it done if I find a suitable one?

> Photoshop CS2 let you correct vignetting while processing the raw
> file.
>

> ************************************************** ******

Unfortunately I don't have Photoshop CS2, only Paint Shop Pro. PSP is
considerably less expensive of the two and for the most part handles all
the other functions I do quite well.

Pete S...

Bob Harrington

Pete S... wrote:
> John A. Stovall wrote:
>> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 21:58:11 -0500, Pete Schultz <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> I have some photos that suffer from mild vignetting (drop off of
>>> brightness/luminance near the edges). My photo editing software is
>>> Paint Shop Pro 8 but it doesn't have any option for this. Are
>>> there any plug-ins available that will let me do this correction?
>>> Also, I haven't installed any plug-ins for PSP - how is it done if
>>> I find a suitable one?

>> Photoshop CS2 let you correct vignetting while processing the raw
>> file.
>>

>> ************************************************** ******

> Unfortunately I don't have Photoshop CS2, only Paint Shop Pro. PSP is
> considerably less expensive of the two and for the most part handles
> all the other functions I do quite well.
>
> Pete S...

I have long corrected this problem in slide scans and digital photos by
adding a layer, then using the gradient tool to create a gray (center)
to white circular fill eyeballed to counter the vignetting. Set the
gradient layer mode to 'soft light' or 'overlay' (in Photoshop, not sure
of the equivalent in PSP) and then futz the opacity to taste.

Usually works better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick...

Bob ^,,^