Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Microsoft RAW Image Thumbnailer and Viewer for Windows XP

Microsoft RAW Image Thumbnailer and Viewer for Windows XP

deryck lant

Allows preview, organizing and printing of Canon CRW and CR2 and Nikon
NEF files.

High image quality. This software uses the camera vendors' own
processing libraries
to provide the highest possible image fidelity for RAW images.

Superior color fidelity. Windows Image Color Management (ICM) is used to
render
images in the correct color space as determined by the photographer when
the image
was captured.

You can't save the RAW file as another format such as JPEG or TIFF.

Deryck

John A. Stovall

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 12:37:31 +0100, deryck lant <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
>
>Allows preview, organizing and printing of Canon CRW and CR2 and Nikon
>NEF files.
>
>High image quality. This software uses the camera vendors' own
>processing libraries
>to provide the highest possible image fidelity for RAW images.

Oh, so they use the less powerful software provided on the cheap by
the camera vendor?

>Superior color fidelity. Windows Image Color Management (ICM) is used to
>render
>images in the correct color space as determined by the photographer when
>the image
>was captured.

A big mistake. Frazer suggest when working with raw to use ProPhoto
RGB as the working color space and not sRGB or Adobe RGB 1998 which
the camera provides.

You do know that raw is independent of the color space set in the
camera which is the whole purpose of using it?

>You can't save the RAW file as another format such as JPEG or TIFF.

So, why bother since you can adjust it either.

Are you a shill for MicroSerf or just ignorant?

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

[BnH]

Its quite a good tool if you want to only view your RAW s/ware.
At least for us in the Nikon camp

=bob=

"John A. Stovall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

deryck lant

The message <(E-Mail Removed)>
from deryck lant <(E-Mail Removed)> contains these words:

> Allows preview, organizing and printing of Canon CRW and CR2 and Nikon
> NEF files.

> High image quality. This software uses the camera vendors' own
> processing libraries
> to provide the highest possible image fidelity for RAW images.

> Superior color fidelity. Windows Image Color Management (ICM) is used to
> render
> images in the correct color space as determined by the photographer when
> the image
> was captured.

> You can't save the RAW file as another format such as JPEG or TIFF.

Saving in another format will be added later.

Even so will be welcomed by all the D2X users for the correct colour
rendering it gives all the downloaded NEF images. Something that CS2
doesn't do now.

Here's another free download:

http://www.microsoft.com/products/expression/

Of course life is a big problem if you don't have broadband.

Deryck

John A. Stovall

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 23:01:38 +1000, "[BnH]" <b18[at]ii[dot]net> wrote:

>Its quite a good tool if you want to only view your RAW s/ware.
>At least for us in the Nikon camp

The only reason to just "view" your RAW is to sort them for the work
flow where you will want to do more than just view. Bridge does a much
better job of this.

What you are seeing here is a very compromised image starting with the
limited color space imposed by the camera EXIF data.

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

Paul Furman

John A. Stovall wrote:

> The only reason to just "view" your RAW is to sort them for the work
> flow where you will want to do more than just view. Bridge does a much
> better job of this.

Yes and I don't have the latest PS CS yet so this could be real handy
for sorting. Currently I shoot raw + jpeg for quicker sorting. I'm
hesitant to bother downloading though until someone reports this thing
is actually reasonably fast and useful.

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1

Ryadia@home

"deryck lant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The message <(E-Mail Removed)>
> from deryck lant <(E-Mail Removed)> contains these words:
>
> Here's another free download:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/products/expression/
>
> Of course life is a big problem if you don't have broadband.
>
> Deryck

Yeah... Right up to the part about compulsive use of NET pasport to "test"
the program for Microsoft I was beginning to warm to the idea that just
maybe, Microsoft might have been developing a clue about art... WRONG!

Same ****, different wolf's clothing on the sheep.
Plonk!

Douglas

jimkramer

"Paul Furman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> John A. Stovall wrote:
>>
>> The only reason to just "view" your RAW is to sort them for the work
>> flow where you will want to do more than just view. Bridge does a much
>> better job of this.

> Yes and I don't have the latest PS CS yet so this could be real handy for
> sorting. Currently I shoot raw + jpeg for quicker sorting. I'm hesitant to
> bother downloading though until someone reports this thing is actually
> reasonably fast and useful.
>

> --
> Paul Furman
> http://www.edgehill.net/1
> san francisco native plants

Works like a charm on XP Pro.... took them long enough to come out with it
though.

Jim Kramer