Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > In What Order Would You Start Buying Lens, starting fresh... What Lens, first, second, etc.?

In What Order Would You Start Buying Lens, starting fresh... What Lens, first, second, etc.?

Bryan Fenstermacher

All,

I'm going to be jumping into digital photography this week. I'm planning on
purchasing a Canon 20D camera with the 17-85 f/4-5.6IS USM lens and a Canon
580EX speedlight. In addition to that gear I would like to experiment with
prime lenses, and something with a low stop. I was thinking of getting the
Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens...

Anyways, I've been thinking I have NO glass now... In what order would you
acquire a collection of lenses? To keep the holy war down to a low roar,
what types of lenses would you recommend (maybe not the specific lens, just
the type) I purchase, and in what order. Also for me, I realistically won't
have a massive collection of glass, and at least for a while won't be able
to justify a ton of high dollar glass (although I might spring for the Canon
70-210 f/2.8 IS lens at some point).

Example
1. decent walk around lens.
2. Good prime lens in the 50mm size.
3. Telephoto Zoom
etc..

Thanks for the advice in advance...

-Bryan

editor@netpath.net

I'd look first for a 28-140 (equiv.) or 35-105 (equiv) zoom lens. VERY
useful - in my experience - especially that 28-140 one. Not too bulky,
either.

Save on gas! Shop the http://stores.ebay.com/INTERNET-GUN-SHOW

Bryan Fenstermacher

I should also add, that my first lens will be a 17-85 lens. Specifically
the Canon 17-85 f/4-5.6IS USM because it seems to be a decent lens and it's
cheaper when included with the 20D kit.

"Bryan Fenstermacher" <bryan<~removethisstuff!@fenstermacher.net> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> All,
>
> I'm going to be jumping into digital photography this week. I'm planning
> on purchasing a Canon 20D camera with the 17-85 f/4-5.6IS USM lens and a
> Canon 580EX speedlight. In addition to that gear I would like to
> experiment with prime lenses, and something with a low stop. I was
> thinking of getting the Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens...
>
> Anyways, I've been thinking I have NO glass now... In what order would you
> acquire a collection of lenses? To keep the holy war down to a low roar,
> what types of lenses would you recommend (maybe not the specific lens,
> just the type) I purchase, and in what order. Also for me, I
> realistically won't have a massive collection of glass, and at least for a
> while won't be able to justify a ton of high dollar glass (although I
> might spring for the Canon 70-210 f/2.8 IS lens at some point).
>
> Example
> 1. decent walk around lens.
> 2. Good prime lens in the 50mm size.
> 3. Telephoto Zoom
> etc..
>
> Thanks for the advice in advance...
>
> -Bryan

John A. Stovall

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 08:47:13 -0400, "Bryan Fenstermacher"
<bryan<~removethisstuff!@fenstermacher.net> wrote:

>All,
>
>I'm going to be jumping into digital photography this week. I'm planning on
>purchasing a Canon 20D camera with the 17-85 f/4-5.6IS USM lens and a Canon
>580EX speedlight. In addition to that gear I would like to experiment with
>prime lenses, and something with a low stop. I was thinking of getting the
>Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens...
>
>Anyways, I've been thinking I have NO glass now... In what order would you
>acquire a collection of lenses? To keep the holy war down to a low roar,
>what types of lenses would you recommend (maybe not the specific lens, just
>the type) I purchase, and in what order. Also for me, I realistically won't
>have a massive collection of glass, and at least for a while won't be able
>to justify a ton of high dollar glass (although I might spring for the Canon
>70-210 f/2.8 IS lens at some point).

Here are the first four Canon lenses I got for my 20D.

50mm F1.4 (not as useful as hoped with the 1.6 sensor)
85mm F1.8 (very useful)
17-40 F4.0L (most used lens, I have of these)
70-200 F4.0L

then I got a 24-70 F2.3L (most used of all lenses)

Planning to get a 135mm F2.0L and a 35mm F1.4 (more like a true 50 on
the 1.6 sensor).

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

Joseph Meehan

Bryan Fenstermacher wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm going to be jumping into digital photography this week. I'm
> planning on purchasing a Canon 20D camera with the 17-85 f/4-5.6IS
> USM lens and a Canon 580EX speedlight.

You may want to consider the 18-55 kit lens. It is a really far better
than you should expect for the price. Great day to day lens.

Do you really need IS on a 17-85 lens?

Of course the answers to those questions and really based on many many
factors including how deep your pockets are and what kind of photography you
do or more important will do.

I suggest that you start with just one lens, either the IS you suggested
or the kit lens I suggested is a good start. Then start taking pictures.
Be sure to take photos of all the things that you figure you will be taking
in the future. For example, if you take pictures of buildings exterior and
interior on trips, but won't be going on a trip for a while, take some
photos around town. Get the feel for where your lens is limiting you from
what you want to do and then address that with your next purchase(s).

Good Luck

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Cheesehead

Even though I use Pentax ...
1. Something in the range of 20mm for walk-around. Maybe a compact
17-35-range zoom.
2. For digital, more like 40mm.
3. 80-200/2.8. Tokina probably the best value, but hefty. Otherwise
something IS for Canon lovers.

Collin

Cheesehead

"Fenstermacher"?
I went to college in Omaha in the 70s with a Fenstermacher gal.

Collin

Celcius

Hi Bryan!

I'm not a newbie nor a pro. When I buy the Canon 350D shortly, it will be my
7th camera in all, my third digital (Canon G1, Pro 1). I figure that the
17-85mm IS USM should be a great "all around" lens. It offers 28mm which is
good for wide angle photog. to 130mm, a reasonable 5x. This will allow me to
take many pics in different situations. I plan to take note of what I'm
missing and when.

When I was using my Pro 1 (a 7x -- 28 to 200mm), I found at times that I
might need a good telephoto. Contrary to general belief, the telephoto is a
very good lens for portrait photography. It can also be useful to take
photos of "ordinary life" when on a trip without being hindered. For
instance, when I was in Turkey and Greece recently, there were many
interesting situations in public places (markets, vendors, etc.) which I
didn't have easy access to. My problem is that a good telephoto should offer
*max opening and a image stabilisation*. These cost a lot.

At this point in time, I feel I would want a macro lens before I buy a wide
angle. I used to do Underwater Photography and I loved the "small bugs and
corals". However, as I said before, it's the use which will determine what I
buy.

Cheers,

Marcel

"Bryan Fenstermacher" <bryan<~removethisstuff!@fenstermacher.net> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> All,
>
> I'm going to be jumping into digital photography this week. I'm planning

on
> purchasing a Canon 20D camera with the 17-85 f/4-5.6IS USM lens and a

Canon
> 580EX speedlight. In addition to that gear I would like to experiment

with
> prime lenses, and something with a low stop. I was thinking of getting

the
> Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens...
>
> Anyways, I've been thinking I have NO glass now... In what order would you
> acquire a collection of lenses? To keep the holy war down to a low roar,
> what types of lenses would you recommend (maybe not the specific lens,

just
> the type) I purchase, and in what order. Also for me, I realistically

won't
> have a massive collection of glass, and at least for a while won't be able
> to justify a ton of high dollar glass (although I might spring for the

Canon
> 70-210 f/2.8 IS lens at some point).
>
> Example
> 1. decent walk around lens.
> 2. Good prime lens in the 50mm size.
> 3. Telephoto Zoom
> etc..
>
> Thanks for the advice in advance...
>
> -Bryan

Bryan Fenstermacher

Huh, interesting... there aren't a ton of us fenstermacher's around...
Although, some of the relationships are really distant. Most of my
Fenstermacher clan is mostly from Indiana and a bit from Ohio and PA...

I wasn't in college until the 90's... so I'm a young one.

-Bryan

"Cheesehead" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> "Fenstermacher"?
> I went to college in Omaha in the 70s with a Fenstermacher gal.
>
> Collin

Robert R Kircher, Jr.

"Bryan Fenstermacher" <bryan<~removethisstuff!@fenstermacher.net> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> All,
>
> I'm going to be jumping into digital photography this week. I'm planning
> on purchasing a Canon 20D camera with the 17-85 f/4-5.6IS USM lens and a
> Canon 580EX speedlight. In addition to that gear I would like to
> experiment with prime lenses, and something with a low stop. I was
> thinking of getting the Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens...
>
> Anyways, I've been thinking I have NO glass now... In what order would you
> acquire a collection of lenses? To keep the holy war down to a low roar,
> what types of lenses would you recommend (maybe not the specific lens,
> just the type) I purchase, and in what order. Also for me, I
> realistically won't have a massive collection of glass, and at least for a
> while won't be able to justify a ton of high dollar glass (although I
> might spring for the Canon 70-210 f/2.8 IS lens at some point).
>
> Example
> 1. decent walk around lens.
> 2. Good prime lens in the 50mm size.
> 3. Telephoto Zoom
> etc..

What you buy and in what order depends very much on what you are shooting.
I bought what little glass I have in order of need.

I very quickly grew to dislike the 18-55 that came with my 300D, so.... I
was in the need of a good walking around lens and bought the 28-135 IS USM.
This is now my primary lens and I found it has a perfect range for all
around shots. It's not L glass and the zoom portion is plastic but the lens
performs well enough. So well in fact that my wife steels it for her film
photog from time to time; so often anymore that I think I'm going to have to
buy another one.

A couple of months later, after being very disappointed with the 70-300 I
had and not that much more impressed with my wife's EF 75-300, I bought the
EF 100-400 L IS USM. I needed the zoom range for taking pics of my
daughters rowing events. I found the range of this lens perfect for getting
good shots of the girls in the boats as they rowed down river. I can zoom
in and get just a couple of them in frame or zoom out and catch the entire 8
in the frame. Very flexible and a good performer. It has a push pull zoom
but it didn't take long for me to get used to that.

Now that Crew season is over and my needs are changing once again and I'm
looking at new glass. Much of what I'm taking now are just family snaps
indoors so I think my next lens will be the 50 1.4 or 1.8. I'm leaning
towards the 1.8 first because I don't think I'll use the lens that much and
the 1.8 is cheap enough to see if my use will increase. If I like the 50mm
and find enough use for it I'll spring for the 1.4.

After that I want a good super wide zoom lens preferably L glass. Most
likely the EF 16-35 f2.8L USM or the 17-40 f4L USM.

After that I think I'll get the 70-200 f2.8L. It duplicates the range of my
other lenses but the speed is very desirable and there are time where the
100-400 is just too big.

In any event plan to spend lots of money because good glass isn't cheap.

Rob