Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > sensorcleaning with use of Green Clean Mini Vac system?

sensorcleaning with use of Green Clean Mini Vac system?

Black Nikon

Who was experience with cleaning of CCD sensor (of Nikon D-70) using the
Green Clean Mini Vac system?
I am so tired of removing dustparticles from the sensor of my Nikon D-70

Eric

AugieG

Black Nikon wrote:

> Who was experience with cleaning of CCD sensor (of Nikon D-70) using the
> Green Clean Mini Vac system?
> I am so tired of removing dustparticles from the sensor of my Nikon D-70
>
> Eric

Vacuum cleaning devices make me a bit uneasy WRT probing inside a DSLR
with them. Have you tried sensor brushes? I got a set on eBay for about
$12 - they keep my sensor nice and clean. Pretty easy to do (easier than
wet cleaning, for sure). Seller was 'bearislandtc' IIRC.

Augie

Tony Hwang

AugieG wrote:
> Black Nikon wrote:
>
>> Who was experience with cleaning of CCD sensor (of Nikon D-70) using
>> the Green Clean Mini Vac system?
>> I am so tired of removing dustparticles from the sensor of my Nikon D-70
>>
>> Eric
>>

> Vacuum cleaning devices make me a bit uneasy WRT probing inside a DSLR
> with them. Have you tried sensor brushes? I got a set on eBay for about
> $12 - they keep my sensor nice and clean. Pretty easy to do (easier than
> wet cleaning, for sure). Seller was 'bearislandtc' IIRC.
>
> Augie

Hi,
Think static when cleaning.
Tony

Kevin McMurtrie

In article <a7d33$42ad7836$5039b416$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Black Nikon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Who was experience with cleaning of CCD sensor (of Nikon D-70) using the
> Green Clean Mini Vac system?
> I am so tired of removing dustparticles from the sensor of my Nikon D-70
>
> Eric

Use a combination bulb and brush to get all of the dust out of there so
it stops falling back onto the CCD.

AugieG

Tony Hwang wrote:

> AugieG wrote:
>
>> Black Nikon wrote:
>>
>>> Who was experience with cleaning of CCD sensor (of Nikon D-70) using
>>> the Green Clean Mini Vac system?
>>> I am so tired of removing dustparticles from the sensor of my Nikon D-70
>>>
>>> Eric
>>>

>> Vacuum cleaning devices make me a bit uneasy WRT probing inside a DSLR
>> with them. Have you tried sensor brushes? I got a set on eBay for
>> about $12 - they keep my sensor nice and clean. Pretty easy to do
>> (easier than wet cleaning, for sure). Seller was 'bearislandtc' IIRC.
>>
>> Augie

> Hi,
> Think static when cleaning.
> Tony

I'm not sure what your point is here?

A slight static charge is your friend, when imparted to a brush before
cleaning the sensor. By blowing 'canned air' through the brush before
each swipe, the brush picks up some static, and the dust is then
literally pulled off the sensor. So much so that only the lightest of
touch on the sensor surface is required.

Hundreds if not thousands of photogs are using this technique on DSLR's
around the world, and I haven't heard of a single case of the slight
charge being a problem, if that's what you're implying? It's by far the
easiest and safest way I've found to clean the sensor, and I've tried
several...

Augie

Kevin McMurtrie

In article <boOre.10025$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
AugieG <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Tony Hwang wrote:
>
> > AugieG wrote:

> >> Vacuum cleaning devices make me a bit uneasy WRT probing inside a DSLR
> >> with them. Have you tried sensor brushes? I got a set on eBay for
> >> about $12 - they keep my sensor nice and clean. Pretty easy to do
> >> (easier than wet cleaning, for sure). Seller was 'bearislandtc' IIRC.
> >>
> >> Augie

> > Hi,
> > Think static when cleaning.
> > Tony

> I'm not sure what your point is here?
>
> A slight static charge is your friend, when imparted to a brush before
> cleaning the sensor. By blowing 'canned air' through the brush before
> each swipe, the brush picks up some static, and the dust is then
> literally pulled off the sensor. So much so that only the lightest of
> touch on the sensor surface is required.
>
> Hundreds if not thousands of photogs are using this technique on DSLR's
> around the world, and I haven't heard of a single case of the slight
> charge being a problem, if that's what you're implying? It's by far the
> easiest and safest way I've found to clean the sensor, and I've tried
> several...
>
> Augie

True. Static charges are only a problem when they collect on large
areas of a good conductor. The Green-Cleen vacuum is an unpowered
plastic siphon device.

I'd only worry about bumping a bare metal vacuum cleaner hose against
exposed electronics. The AC power lines coiled in some hoses leak
current when they get old and dirty. Worse yet, the bare metal hose
would crack the AA screen