Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 10MP Digital for $150.00?

10MP Digital for $150.00?

railfan

On a hobby group I follow a fellow recently posted a message that he
bought a 10MP digital camera on eBay for $150.00! My reply was that I
had seen 10MP cameras ads in Popular Science or Polular Mechanics
magazines, by Bell & Howell. The camera is a credit card sized model
and in the fine print is says something like "10MP is interpolated".
Of course this means the camera is a lot less than 10MP. But how much
less? I don't want one, I'm just curious as to how much of a scam
this is.

Of course I cannot locate the particular B&H ad now, even after
skimming through the most recent issues of the magazines. But I've
seen it several times.

Bob Boudreau
Canada

SimonLW

"railfan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On a hobby group I follow a fellow recently posted a message that he
> bought a 10MP digital camera on eBay for $150.00! My reply was that I
> had seen 10MP cameras ads in Popular Science or Polular Mechanics
> magazines, by Bell & Howell. The camera is a credit card sized model
> and in the fine print is says something like "10MP is interpolated".
> Of course this means the camera is a lot less than 10MP. But how much
> less? I don't want one, I'm just curious as to how much of a scam
> this is.
>
> Of course I cannot locate the particular B&H ad now, even after
> skimming through the most recent issues of the magazines. But I've
> seen it several times.
>
> Bob Boudreau
> Canada

It is probably a 4 MP, but even at 4 MP, the quality is junk. Soft, poor
color, fixed focus and digital zoom only. Stay with the name brands like
Nikon, Canon, Fuji, Pentax, Olympus and others for a good camera.
John

Ken Weitzel

railfan wrote:
> On a hobby group I follow a fellow recently posted a message that he
> bought a 10MP digital camera on eBay for $150.00! My reply was that I
> had seen 10MP cameras ads in Popular Science or Polular Mechanics
> magazines, by Bell & Howell. The camera is a credit card sized model
> and in the fine print is says something like "10MP is interpolated".
> Of course this means the camera is a lot less than 10MP. But how much
> less? I don't want one, I'm just curious as to how much of a scam
> this is.
>
> Of course I cannot locate the particular B&H ad now, even after
> skimming through the most recent issues of the magazines. But I've
> seen it several times.
>
> Bob Boudreau
> Canada

Hi Bob...

It's 2 mp...

www.bytephoto.com/forums/t2745.html

Ken

[BnH]

I just hold one 2 hours ago. A 10mpx by Megxon , Negxon or whatever they are
called. Blue metalic colour, similar to a Sony T7 imo
and I think the sensor size is VGA only which is 640 x 480 + due to the lens
size that is even smaller than my Motorola E1000 1.2mpx camera lens.

=bob=

"railfan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Of course this means the camera is a lot less than 10MP. But how much
> less? I don't want one, I'm just curious as to how much of a scam
> this is.

Darrell

"[BnH]" <b18[at]ii[dot]net> wrote in message
news:42ad8fd4$0$2477$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just hold one 2 hours ago. A 10mpx by Megxon , Negxon or whatever they
>are called. Blue metalic colour, similar to a Sony T7 imo
> and I think the sensor size is VGA only which is 640 x 480 + due to the
> lens size that is even smaller than my Motorola E1000 1.2mpx camera lens.
>
> =bob=
>
> "railfan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>
>> Of course this means the camera is a lot less than 10MP. But how much
>> less? I don't want one, I'm just curious as to how much of a scam
>> this is.

http://www.thpsales.com/store/viewIt...idaffiliate=16

it interpolates (upsamples) a 10 megapixel file from a 640x480 113KB file.
This has the same spec, but without the upscaling that my freebie Aiptek
camera has. The Aiptek is not even useable as a webcam!!!

Annika1980

>It is probably a 4 MP, but even at 4 MP, the quality is junk.

Perhaps it's a Sigma?

railfan

Thanks for the info! I never had any intention of buying one, as I
knew it was a scam. I was just interested in what the scam was. I
have two fine Canon digitals, which work great for me!

Bob Boudreau
Canada

SimonLW

"railfan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Thanks for the info! I never had any intention of buying one, as I
> knew it was a scam. I was just interested in what the scam was. I
> have two fine Canon digitals, which work great for me!
>
> Bob Boudreau
> Canada

Yes, to scale a crappy 4mp (if that) image up to 10mp is what I call a
pretty big scam!

Darrell

"SimonLW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:42add113$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "railfan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> Thanks for the info! I never had any intention of buying one, as I
>> knew it was a scam. I was just interested in what the scam was. I
>> have two fine Canon digitals, which work great for me!
>>
>> Bob Boudreau
>> Canada
>>

> Yes, to scale a crappy 4mp (if that) image up to 10mp is what I call a
> pretty big scam!

640x480 VGA (308 kilo pixel) is even worse!! You can get a Canon A400 for
$180 CDN.

Kevin McMurtrie

In article <42ad6ec4$(E-Mail Removed)>, "SimonLW" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> "railfan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > On a hobby group I follow a fellow recently posted a message that he
> > bought a 10MP digital camera on eBay for $150.00! My reply was that I
> > had seen 10MP cameras ads in Popular Science or Polular Mechanics
> > magazines, by Bell & Howell. The camera is a credit card sized model
> > and in the fine print is says something like "10MP is interpolated".
> > Of course this means the camera is a lot less than 10MP. But how much
> > less? I don't want one, I'm just curious as to how much of a scam
> > this is.
> >
> > Of course I cannot locate the particular B&H ad now, even after
> > skimming through the most recent issues of the magazines. But I've
> > seen it several times.
> >
> > Bob Boudreau
> > Canada
> >

> It is probably a 4 MP, but even at 4 MP, the quality is junk. Soft, poor
> color, fixed focus and digital zoom only. Stay with the name brands like
> Nikon, Canon, Fuji, Pentax, Olympus and others for a good camera.
> John

Er... Fuji is no stranger to upsampling scams.