Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 20D FINDS THE 5TH BEETLE !!!

20D FINDS THE 5TH BEETLE !!!

Annika1980

Pete D

In racing colours?

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/44690021

MarkČ

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/44690021

I'm not sure what you've done, but I can't figure out teh depth of field on
that shot.
You seem to have applied sharpening in a way that leaves a strange
out-of-focus surface to teh left of the beetle...yet you've retained focus
both below adn above that portion of the plain. It makes it look rather
unnatural.

How about applying similar sharpening to the area to the beetle's left so as
to not be such an obvious cheat?

Pete D

"MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message

> "Annika1980" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/44690021

> I'm not sure what you've done, but I can't figure out teh depth of field
> on that shot.
> You seem to have applied sharpening in a way that leaves a strange
> out-of-focus surface to teh left of the beetle...yet you've retained focus
> both below adn above that portion of the plain. It makes it look rather
> unnatural.
>
> How about applying similar sharpening to the area to the beetle's left so
> as to not be such an obvious cheat?

Looks more like he tried to clone something out to me, does look a bit
"scungy".

Annika1980

> http://www.pbase.com/bret/imag*e/44690021

I'm not sure what you've done, but I can't figure out teh depth of
field on
that shot.
You seem to have applied sharpening in a way that leaves a strange
out-of-focus surface to teh left of the beetle...yet you've retained
focus
both below adn above that portion of the plain. It makes it look
rather
unnatural.
================

Yeah, I got a little sloppy with that one. The pic is actually a
combination of two shots using "focus bracketing" with the intention
of increasing the DOF. The bug part came out OK, but I really screwed
up the left part as you noticed. I'll fix it and re-post.

Frank ess

Pete D wrote:
> "MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in
> message
>>
>> "Annika1980" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/44690021

>> I'm not sure what you've done, but I can't figure out teh depth of
>> field on that shot.
>> You seem to have applied sharpening in a way that leaves a strange
>> out-of-focus surface to teh left of the beetle...yet you've
>> retained
>> focus both below adn above that portion of the plain. It makes it
>> look rather unnatural.
>>
>> How about applying similar sharpening to the area to the beetle's
>> left so as to not be such an obvious cheat?
>>

> Looks more like he tried to clone something out to me, does look a
> bit
> "scungy".

My guess is: the bird droppings are disappeared.

JohnR66

"Pete D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsVere.15648$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Annika1980" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/44690021

>> I'm not sure what you've done, but I can't figure out teh depth of field
>> on that shot.
>> You seem to have applied sharpening in a way that leaves a strange
>> out-of-focus surface to teh left of the beetle...yet you've retained
>> focus both below adn above that portion of the plain. It makes it look
>> rather unnatural.
>>
>> How about applying similar sharpening to the area to the beetle's left so
>> as to not be such an obvious cheat?
>>

> Looks more like he tried to clone something out to me, does look a bit
> "scungy".

You guys are pretty sharp. Other than the weirdness with its middle right
leg, I'm not seeing any problems.
John

kombi45@yahoo.com

JohnR66 wrote:

> You guys are pretty sharp. Other than the weirdness with its middle right
> leg, I'm not seeing any problems.

I am very new at this, but I also noticed the right leg blur. I
emailed Bret directly to see if this was post-processing or if the bug
was moving. I suspect the latter. I will also admit to noticing the
mildly blurry ring to the immediate left of the bug, but really only
because it was called to my attention. With that said, I think it's an
awesome picture. I told him if this was considered a so-so shot, I
have a LONG, LOOOOOOOOOOOONG way to go!

Regards,

Ben

Brad

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 12:24:15 GMT, "Pete D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Looks more like he tried to clone something out to me, does look a bit
>"scungy".

Damn there I go again, I thought I really liked that picture but now I
hate it, thanks for setting me straight......lol......

Brad

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY IN A
WELL-PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
SHOUTING... " HOLY @#$%... WHAT A RIDE!"

Annika1980

I didn't even notice the right leg blur, but I fixed that and tried to
clean up the left side as well.
Here is the newer version:
http://pbase.com/bret/image/44690021/original

You may have to reload the pic if your browser has it in cache.