Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Samsung's unprotected LCDs

Reply
Thread Tools

Samsung's unprotected LCDs

 
 
Mike Henley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-11-2005


If you look at this image
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0506/sa...0frontback.jpg
You'll notice that despite the selling point of many recent samsung
cameras being that they have large LCD Screens, you'll notice that they
come unprotected. This isn't just a "prototype" thing, I've seen them
in the stores and they are unprotected. The japanese cameras on the
other hand, from Sony to Fuji, come with a thick layer of glass or hard
acrylic, at least a millimeter thick, over the LCD. I also noticed that
HP too does not provide protection in their cameras for the LCD.

What is this? Why do they do that? why don't they just put a layer of
protection over the LCD?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
EF in FLA
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-11-2005
> What is this? Why do they do that? why don't they just put a layer of
> protection over the LCD?


I think there is some protection there, just not a "thick layer". Besides,
you're not supposed to beat the hell outta your camera.

ef



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Frode P. Bergsager
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-11-2005
Mike Henley wrote:
> If you look at this image
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0506/sa...0frontback.jpg
> You'll notice that despite the selling point of many recent samsung
> cameras being that they have large LCD Screens, you'll notice that
> they come unprotected. This isn't just a "prototype" thing, I've seen
> them in the stores and they are unprotected. The japanese cameras on
> the other hand, from Sony to Fuji, come with a thick layer of glass
> or hard acrylic, at least a millimeter thick, over the LCD. I also
> noticed that HP too does not provide protection in their cameras for
> the LCD.
>
> What is this? Why do they do that? why don't they just put a layer of
> protection over the LCD?


More protection=worse visual quality.
In sunlight most protective glass will be reflective, and you will have to
use your hands or something to shield the LCD to reduce the glare.
Most LCD-panels have a soft antireflective layer of plastic to reduce the
glare and enhance the viewing angle.

--
Frode P. Bergsager


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Henley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-12-2005


EF in FLA wrote:
> > What is this? Why do they do that? why don't they just put a layer of
> > protection over the LCD?

>
> I think there is some protection there, just not a "thick layer". Besides,
> you're not supposed to beat the hell outta your camera.
>
> ef


Any small, portable digital device should have adequate enough
protection. As it is with its naked LCD, this samsung camera is very,
very damage-prone.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lagality of using unprotected wirelsss networks Seeker Wireless Networking 4 08-05-2008 07:46 PM
Neighbours' unprotected wifi - security risk ? RJK Wireless Networking 5 04-24-2007 12:12 AM
Cannot connect on unprotected wireless network Mike Wireless Networking 2 11-24-2006 10:11 PM
Copying an unprotected DVD Daniel Prince DVD Video 4 06-30-2006 11:13 AM
Unprotected net access - No malware for 2 weeks Martik Computer Support 5 11-30-2005 09:17 PM



Advertisments