Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How to repair 1mm of latch plastic on Nikon CoolPix AA battery door

How to repair 1mm of latch plastic on Nikon CoolPix AA battery door

rustydustin@yahoo.com

Is anyone else missing 1mm of battery door latch on your Nikon CoolPix
camera?
How did you repair this fragile latch?

I just love my Nikon CoolPix 2100 because it uses two AA batteries and
a compact flash! I'll never do without those two conveniences ever
again!

Alas, the battery door on the CoolPix 2100 latches across a tiny 1mm
plastic "bridge" which snapped off after about a year of use. All I
have is two tiny 1mm plastic nubs sticking out (like a gap-toothed
kid).

Currently, I scotch tape the battery door closed. But it seems like a
terrible waste of a perfectly good camera for lack of a 1mm piece of
plastic to hold the battery door closed.

Has anyone overcome this broken battery-door latch problem?
How did you recover it (there's precious little for crazy glue to grab
onto).

I'd hate to have to give up the supreme convenience of the AA batteries
and compact flash by buying another camera when this Nikon CoolPix is
otherwise fine for my needs.

HELP!

Deedee Tee

I don't have a 2100 and can offer no details, e.g. I don't know if the
battery cover presses the batteries against spring-loaded contacts or
not. If the battery door does not apply pressure to the batteries, I
would consider attaching two thin strips of Velcro on the outside of
the door and camera body about in the position of the missing latch,
and to keep the door closed with a wider strip of Velcro of the
"opposite sex" tacked on top of the gap. There is adhesive-backed
Velcro that should be suitable for the job without requiring glue.
Probably more durable than adhesive tape, although the latter does
work.

On 10 Jun 2005 17:50:40 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Is anyone else missing 1mm of battery door latch on your Nikon CoolPix
>camera?
>How did you repair this fragile latch?
>
>I just love my Nikon CoolPix 2100 because it uses two AA batteries and
>a compact flash! I'll never do without those two conveniences ever
>again!
>
>Alas, the battery door on the CoolPix 2100 latches across a tiny 1mm
>plastic "bridge" which snapped off after about a year of use. All I
>have is two tiny 1mm plastic nubs sticking out (like a gap-toothed
>kid).
>
>Currently, I scotch tape the battery door closed. But it seems like a
>terrible waste of a perfectly good camera for lack of a 1mm piece of
>plastic to hold the battery door closed.
>
>Has anyone overcome this broken battery-door latch problem?
>How did you recover it (there's precious little for crazy glue to grab
>onto).
>
>I'd hate to have to give up the supreme convenience of the AA batteries
>and compact flash by buying another camera when this Nikon CoolPix is
>otherwise fine for my needs.
>
>HELP!

Colin D

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Is anyone else missing 1mm of battery door latch on your Nikon CoolPix
> camera?
> How did you repair this fragile latch?
>
> I just love my Nikon CoolPix 2100 because it uses two AA batteries and
> a compact flash! I'll never do without those two conveniences ever
> again!
>
> Alas, the battery door on the CoolPix 2100 latches across a tiny 1mm
> plastic "bridge" which snapped off after about a year of use. All I
> have is two tiny 1mm plastic nubs sticking out (like a gap-toothed
> kid).
>
> Currently, I scotch tape the battery door closed. But it seems like a
> terrible waste of a perfectly good camera for lack of a 1mm piece of
> plastic to hold the battery door closed.
>
> Has anyone overcome this broken battery-door latch problem?
> How did you recover it (there's precious little for crazy glue to grab
> onto).
>
> I'd hate to have to give up the supreme convenience of the AA batteries
> and compact flash by buying another camera when this Nikon CoolPix is
> otherwise fine for my needs.
>
> HELP!

You could try using a brass dressmaker's pin or a similar piece of very
fine wire, and bending it into a small flat-bottomed 'U' like a staple.
Heat the staple gently with a soldering iron, and holding it with
needle-nosed pliers, press the legs of the 'staple' into the plastic
body so the flat-bottomed bit becomes the latch.

A bit fiddly, but if needs must, you can do it.

Colin

Joseph Meehan

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Is anyone else missing 1mm of battery door latch on your Nikon CoolPix
> camera?
> How did you repair this fragile latch?
>
> I just love my Nikon CoolPix 2100 because it uses two AA batteries and
> a compact flash! I'll never do without those two conveniences ever
> again!
>
> Alas, the battery door on the CoolPix 2100 latches across a tiny 1mm
> plastic "bridge" which snapped off after about a year of use. All I
> have is two tiny 1mm plastic nubs sticking out (like a gap-toothed
> kid).
>
> Currently, I scotch tape the battery door closed. But it seems like a
> terrible waste of a perfectly good camera for lack of a 1mm piece of
> plastic to hold the battery door closed.
>
> Has anyone overcome this broken battery-door latch problem?
> How did you recover it (there's precious little for crazy glue to grab
> onto).

I have used some Velcro. Works wonders.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

rustydustin@yahoo.com

Deedee Tee wrote:
> I don't have a 2100 and can offer no details, e.g. I don't know if the
> battery cover presses the batteries against spring-loaded contacts or
> not. If the battery door does not apply pressure to the batteries, I
> would consider attaching two thin strips of Velcro on the outside of
> the door and camera body about in the position of the missing latch,
> and to keep the door closed with a wider strip of Velcro of the
> "opposite sex" tacked on top of the gap. There is adhesive-backed
> Velcro that should be suitable for the job without requiring glue.
> Probably more durable than adhesive tape, although the latter does
> work.
>
> On 10 Jun 2005 17:50:40 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >Is anyone else missing 1mm of battery door latch on your Nikon CoolPix
> >camera?
> >How did you repair this fragile latch?

I currently use scotch tape to hold the fragile Nikon CoolPix 2100
battery door in place so I guess velcro would be even better as it's
reusable.

I'm thinking of replacing the camera as another (more expensive)
option.

The only two things I'd change on the Nikon CoolPix 2100 is I'd have it
remember the flash settings (I never use the default, I always use fill
flash but the camera just won't remember that!) and I'd have a stronger
battery door.

Is there an equivalent camera in size to the Nikon CoolPix 2100 which
remembers the flash settings and which also uses compact flash and AA
batteries?

rustydustin@yahoo.com

Colin D wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Alas, the battery door on the CoolPix 2100 latches across a tiny 1mm
> > plastic "bridge" which snapped off after about a year of use. All I
> > have is two tiny 1mm plastic nubs sticking out (like a gap-toothed
> > kid).

> You could try using a brass dressmaker's pin or a similar piece of very
> fine wire, and bending it into a small flat-bottomed 'U' like a staple.
> Heat the staple gently with a soldering iron, and holding it with
> needle-nosed pliers, press the legs of the 'staple' into the plastic
> body so the flat-bottomed bit becomes the latch.

It's risky (but what the heck, the camera is toast otherwise), but a
stape is a good idea. The gap-toothed distance is about two millimeters
so I'd need to locate a 2mm staple which I could then crazy glue in
place after melting the access holes.

It might work! If it does, you're a genius!

Alex Butcher

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 17:50:40 -0700, rustydustin wrote:

> Is anyone else missing 1mm of battery door latch on your Nikon CoolPix
> camera?
> How did you repair this fragile latch?

A similar problem manifested itself on my Kodak DC215 some time after the
expiration of the warranty. I got in touch with Kodak with a view to
buying the appropriate spare part to fit myself, and was
pleasantly surprised by their offer to repair it free of charge, including
using DHL courier both ways! ISTR Kodak acknowledged this problem as a
design fault.

Give Nikon a ring, particularly if you're in Europe and therefore
protected by European consumer law.

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK Need reliable and secure network systems?