Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Recommend USB to Serial Adapter for Cisco Products

Recommend USB to Serial Adapter for Cisco Products

John Marra

Hello,

Looking for a reliable USB to Serial port adapter. We just purchased IBM
ThinkPad T42's with no serial ports. I purchased a USB to serial port
adapter from Sewell to test. My test results connecting to the following
Cisco products...
Cisco 3745 Router
Cisco 3550 Switch
Cisco 4503 Switch

have had limited success. If I connect to one of the above Cisco products
then disconnect from the console port I usually have problems connecting to
one of the other above Cisco products, sometimes the problem is
re-connecting to the same product. Sometimes pulling the USB adapter out of
the port fixes it, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes a reboot or 2 reboots
fixes the problem. I downloaded an updated a driver from Sewell and I never
was able to connect to the above Cisco products. I removed the new driver
and went back to the older driver and at least got back to the intermittent
connection problem. I tried a new console cable, same problem. The laptops
are running Windows XP Pro with SP2, we use Hyper Terminal to connect. I put
a breakout box on the cable and can see DTR and RTS go high when Hyper
Terminal is running.

Anyone have experience with USB to Cisco connections?

Thank you,

John Marra

Michael Heiming

In comp.dcom.sys.cisco John Marra <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> Hello,

> Looking for a reliable USB to Serial port adapter. We just purchased IBM
> ThinkPad T42's with no serial ports. I purchased a USB to serial port
> adapter from Sewell to test. My test results connecting to the following

[..]

> re-connecting to the same product. Sometimes pulling the USB adapter out of
> the port fixes it, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes a reboot or 2 reboots
> fixes the problem. I downloaded an updated a driver from Sewell and I never

Doesn't surprise me.

> was able to connect to the above Cisco products. I removed the new driver
> and went back to the older driver and at least got back to the intermittent
> connection problem. I tried a new console cable, same problem. The laptops
> are running Windows XP Pro with SP2, we use Hyper Terminal to connect. I put

My condolences.

> a breakout box on the cable and can see DTR and RTS go high when Hyper
> Terminal is running.

> Anyone have experience with USB to Cisco connections?

Not with cisco, but with a halfway recent USB chipset Edgeport
USB <-> serial connector do a pretty good job, at least with
*Linux*.

Good luck

mail: echo http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) | perl -pe 'y/a-z/n-za-m/'
#bofh excuse 223: The lines are all busy (busied out, that is --
why let them in to begin with?).

Christoph Gartmann

In article <6bXbf.66202$(E-Mail Removed)>, "John Marra" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>Looking for a reliable USB to Serial port adapter. We just purchased IBM
>ThinkPad T42's with no serial ports. I purchased a USB to serial port
>adapter from Sewell to test. My test results connecting to the following
>Cisco products...
>Cisco 3745 Router
>Cisco 3550 Switch
>Cisco 4503 Switch
>
>have had limited success. If I connect to one of the above Cisco products
>then disconnect from the console port I usually have problems connecting to
>one of the other above Cisco products, sometimes the problem is
>re-connecting to the same product. Sometimes pulling the USB adapter out of
>the port fixes it, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes a reboot or 2 reboots
>fixes the problem. I downloaded an updated a driver from Sewell and I never
>was able to connect to the above Cisco products. I removed the new driver
>and went back to the older driver and at least got back to the intermittent
>connection problem. I tried a new console cable, same problem. The laptops
>are running Windows XP Pro with SP2, we use Hyper Terminal to connect. I put
>a breakout box on the cable and can see DTR and RTS go high when Hyper
>Terminal is running.
>
>Anyone have experience with USB to Cisco connections?

Thats why we bought a small docking station for our Thinkpad X40. ThinkPad plus
docking station together form still a reasonably small and compact unit to
carry along.

Regards,
Christoph Gartmann

Immunbiologie
D-79011 Freiburg, Germany

anybody43@hotmail.com

There is some material in the group on this.
Google.
e.g. [usb bae]
[usb vincent]

Hansang Bae reported:
"Some don't. www.iogear.com search for GUC232A
Works just fine. "

Vincent C Jones reported:
"But good ones do exist. I've been living
with one for two years now (IBM X23 running Linux, generic dongle based

on the FTDI chip)."

Aaron Leonard

I third it. Works with Mac OS X as well as with Windows.

---

~ I second this recommendation. Works fine.
~
~
~
~
~ On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 06:36:54 -0800, RH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
~
~ >I highly recommend the Keyspan USB to Serial Adapter for your console
~ >connections. I 've been using mine for about 2 years on my Cisco
~ >Routers.
~ >
~ >http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/USA19HS/
~ >
~ >--- rh ---

Alphaomega

For those of you that are in the UK, you could also try
www.ash-distribution.co.uk search by code usb005, it comes with a
parallel connection too.

GefBeerEe GefBeerEe is offline
Junior Member

thought Blake much a might not out true, he into Porter see in he sound Mr. hurried creatures to yard so the made then one morning. a and while again, from windows the be cows Mr. side the of house house. they could Daddy so of garden They they Hal though. of thick, the could hear leafy trees. was next could the the father Hal gate fastened, the the ran not the talking, out later and while waited, Blake get of they of heard mooing Then cows, several looked little there the early rushing big back side at the came and house, of account in street. of the the Mab into the stayed in the at and gate their this was sure but on

Magneto Magneto is offline
Junior Member

I have been using a FTDI based usb to serial adapter for several years without problems. The FTDI based adapters are better than the Prolific based adapters since the chipset and drivers are more stable and compatible with most operating systems.