Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon S2 IS vs. the Panasonic DMC-FZ5

Canon S2 IS vs. the Panasonic DMC-FZ5

Larry

I went into Circuit City to buy the FZ5 and discovered two things: First
you need to place order over the web to get their $409 price (store price is
higher even though you can pick up at store) and also I see they already
have the new Canon S2 IS in stock.

Now I'm thinking of waiting until there is a little more out on the Canon,
even though I would have wanted the new camera for a trip we're starting in
one week.

Has anyone gotten and tried the new Canon yet? I wonder how soon the
reviews will appear.

dalesky

check reviews at this blog:
http://www.digicamhelp.com/canon-s2-blog/index.htm

Larry

thanks! Sounds like a nice camera. I might wait until some of the formal
reviews come out which might give more directly comparable data. Only issue
is the "I want it now" emotions and that I'll have to use my old digital
camera on our upcoming road trip.

"dalesky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> check reviews at this blog:
> http://www.digicamhelp.com/canon-s2-blog/index.htm

David J Taylor

Larry wrote:
> thanks! Sounds like a nice camera. I might wait until some of the
> formal reviews come out which might give more directly comparable
> data. Only issue is the "I want it now" emotions and that I'll have
> to use my old digital camera on our upcoming road trip.

If you get the FZ5 I know you will not be disappointed!

(I'm all too well familiar with the "I want it now" syndrome - currently
supressing the urge to get a dual-core 64-bit system. But stopping
because if I went that route I would get no virus protection software -
none yet available!).

David

Dizzledorf

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 18:38:57 GMT, "Larry" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>thanks! Sounds like a nice camera. I might wait until some of the formal
>reviews come out which might give more directly comparable data. Only issue
>is the "I want it now" emotions and that I'll have to use my old digital
>camera on our upcoming road trip.

Larry, DCResource just posted a formal review of the S2 IS here:
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...ew/index.shtml

I've had mine for a few days, and it is simply awesome. The above
review jives exactly with my (brief) experience with the camera. I
find myself loving the speed of the camera -- startup, shot-to-shot,
review -- the most, kickass IS zoom and movie mode notwithstanding.

I think this is the hottest camera of the year...
(only wish I had gotten it for $350 on the mega Dell deal last week!)

---
As I write this, my brother just called to tell me about this GREAT
NEW CAMERA _he_ got. He called all over for weeks to find it, drove
30 miles to pick it up, and it was the last one they had! It's called
the "Canon S2 IS"... lmao
---

It's really got everything I want in my go-everywhere non-dSLR camera.
So much so that I actually... (gasp) got the extended warranty... I
plan on having this camera for the next 3 years, and don't want to be
greeted with a $165 "minimum repair charge" from the likes of Minolta
(and I'm sure others) 13 months from now.

DIZZLE