Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > WiFi: ad-hoc and infrastructure mode simultaneously?

WiFi: ad-hoc and infrastructure mode simultaneously?

Eric

hello all,

I am writing code for an application these days. It requires the PC can
connect to AP and the other PC at the same time, that means the Wifi adapter
will run ad-hoc mode and infrastructure simultaneously. Is that possible?

Thanks,

Eric

David Harding [MSFT]

Eric,

Sorry but this is not possible, the client device is only configurable for
one operation mode (IBSS or Infrastructure) at a time

-David Harding

"Eric" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23BpA9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> hello all,
>
> I am writing code for an application these days. It requires the PC can
> connect to AP and the other PC at the same time, that means the Wifi
> adapter
> will run ad-hoc mode and infrastructure simultaneously. Is that possible?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eric

Eric

hi david,

Is it possible to config (or with my own code) a PC's WiFi adapter to an
access point?

Eric

"David Harding [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Eric,
>
> Sorry but this is not possible, the client device is only configurable for
> one operation mode (IBSS or Infrastructure) at a time
>
> -David Harding

rights.

> "Eric" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%23BpA9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > hello all,
> >
> > I am writing code for an application these days. It requires the PC can
> > connect to AP and the other PC at the same time, that means the Wifi
> > adapter
> > will run ad-hoc mode and infrastructure simultaneously. Is that

possible?

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Eric

David Harding [MSFT]

Yes you can programmatically configure the device you can try using the
WRAPI library, I have provided a link below. I have not used it myself so
don't have any detailed information.

http://ramp.ucsd.edu/pawn/wrapi/

--
David Harding

"Eric" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi david,
>
> Is it possible to config (or with my own code) a PC's WiFi adapter to an
> access point?
>
> Eric
>
> "David Harding [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Eric,
>>
>> Sorry but this is not possible, the client device is only configurable
>> for
>> one operation mode (IBSS or Infrastructure) at a time
>>
>> -David Harding

> rights.
>>
>> "Eric" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%23BpA9$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > hello all,
>> >
>> > I am writing code for an application these days. It requires the PC can
>> > connect to AP and the other PC at the same time, that means the Wifi
>> > adapter
>> > will run ad-hoc mode and infrastructure simultaneously. Is that

> possible?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Eric

Tarundeep Singh Kalra

Yes it is possible by setting the corresponding OID.
REgards
TArun

--
Regards
Tarundeep Singh Kalra

www_dot_tarunsadhana_dot_com.

tarun_at_removeAT_tarunsadhana_dot_com.remove_dots
"Eric" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi david,
>
> Is it possible to config (or with my own code) a PC's WiFi adapter to an
> access point?
>
> Eric
>
> "David Harding [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Eric,
>>
>> Sorry but this is not possible, the client device is only configurable
>> for
>> one operation mode (IBSS or Infrastructure) at a time
>>
>> -David Harding

> rights.
>>
>> "Eric" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%23BpA9$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > hello all,
>> >
>> > I am writing code for an application these days. It requires the PC can
>> > connect to AP and the other PC at the same time, that means the Wifi
>> > adapter
>> > will run ad-hoc mode and infrastructure simultaneously. Is that

> possible?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Eric

Eric Yun

hi TArun,

Do you have idea how to do it? or which OID should I set?

Thank you TArun,

Eric

"Tarundeep Singh Kalra" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes it is possible by setting the corresponding OID.
> REgards
> TArun
>
> --
> Regards
> Tarundeep Singh Kalra
>
> www_dot_tarunsadhana_dot_com.
>
> tarun_at_removeAT_tarunsadhana_dot_com.remove_dots
> "Eric" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > hi david,
> >
> > Is it possible to config (or with my own code) a PC's WiFi adapter to an
> > access point?
> >
> > Eric
> >
> > "David Harding [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Eric,
> >>
> >> Sorry but this is not possible, the client device is only configurable
> >> for
> >> one operation mode (IBSS or Infrastructure) at a time
> >>
> >> -David Harding

> > rights.
> >>
> >> "Eric" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:%23BpA9$(E-Mail Removed)...

can

> > possible?

If wzc is running you won't succeed (for long) using an oid.
The app in the sig does it, so it is possible, at least
switching APs, and having it stick. Here's a pic:

http://iplay.40th.com/iplaycs_rssi.html

Bottom, center pic shows an adhoc (mp3) and a couple
of AP networks (juniper/basil). I can switch among
the APs no problem, so long as wzc is set to access
"All available" or "Only access points". If it's set
to "Only [adhoc]" then I could switch among only those.
I can't switch out of the network type, though. Also,
"All available" isn't true -- it only ever does APs
in that mode. To get adhocs to show you have to set
it to "Only [adhoc]".

I'd like to tell you that it's easy to do, but it
probably isn't. It probably should be, but these
APIs are poorly, if at all, documented, and maybe
destined to be abandoned anyway, to be replaced
by an even more obscure, for-gurus-only API. I
wonder who thinks up these things that no one could
ever understand fully. He probably has two heads
and sees in the dark.

(Obligatory good luck!)

--
40th Floor - Software @ http://40th.com/
iPlay : the ultimate audio player for iPAQs

Eric Yun

This link does not work...