Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > What exactly is the US strategy with regard to IED's?

What exactly is the US strategy with regard to IED's?

Goth Loser

Is this like a war of attrition on the insurgents' caches of
explosives? There seems to be an awful lot of folks driving around
getting blown up and not even getting a shot off from their rifles. I
mean it's one thing to volunteer for your country and another to be
brave enough to face combat but at the very least wouldn't you want to
squeeze a few rounds off in anger before coming home in pieces?

Winston Smith

On 7 Jun 2005 20:25:59 -0700, "Goth Loser" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Is this like a war of attrition on the insurgents' caches of
>explosives? There seems to be an awful lot of folks driving around
>getting blown up and not even getting a shot off from their rifles. I
>mean it's one thing to volunteer for your country and another to be
>brave enough to face combat but at the very least wouldn't you want to
>squeeze a few rounds off in anger before coming home in pieces?

I heard a General in Iraq interviewed on TV. Short version - the
early ones were primitive but we were unprepared. Over time we got
better as spotting them and putting armor where it counts. They got
better at making more sophisticated ones and hiding them. At the
moment he described it as a day to day see-saw escalation.

--
W§ mostly in m.s - http://members.1stconnect.com/anozira

Willcox

This will go on until the insurgents feel they can't win. The press
bashing Bush and the military night after night isn't helping.

Goth Loser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Is this like a war of attrition on the insurgents' caches of
> explosives? There seems to be an awful lot of folks driving around
> getting blown up and not even getting a shot off from their rifles. I
> mean it's one thing to volunteer for your country and another to be
> brave enough to face combat but at the very least wouldn't you want to
> squeeze a few rounds off in anger before coming home in pieces?

XTS

"Willcox" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1gxt2vp.1wpz0iufc6c54N%(E-Mail Removed) ess.com...
> This will go on until the insurgents feel they can't win. The press
> bashing Bush and the military night after night isn't helping.

Off course, it was not a poorly planned undermanned invasion. It was not
the president or Rummy who forgot to factor in resistance. Nope, no
resistance, never in the history of warfare has there been resistance to an
invasion and an ensuing occupation, nope, it's the nightly news' fault.

Never check history before invading a country to steal their resources. it's
a waste of time. Also, one must declare victory on the deck of a carrier in
a pre-mature event to toot ones horn. Also, make sailors NOT put "Mission
Accomplished" signs on the ship.

Also, if you're a civilian, dont ask the generals about manpower, what would
they know.

I'll bet the Iraqi resistance takes a break from assemebling devises to blow
our kids to shreds everynight so they can watch the American news channels.
You had it all right, you just forget to tell us what channel they watch.
It cant be FOX, because then the resestance would all know they were
defeated and go home, and Bush would not get his daily quota of blood and
sundry body parts to share with Laura at din din.

Yep, Bush starts wars, declares victory, and when it goes south, blame the
press.

"It's that ****en news channles fault Bush's wars arent a screaming success.
Bush is perfect, Cheny said so."

And folks, here we another graduate of the rush limbaugh school of complete
foolishness.

"MAJOR COMBAT OPERATION IN IRAQ HAVE CEASED, THE USA AND HER ALLIES HAVE
PREVAILED."

GW Bush on the deck of the Abraham Lincoln, standing in front of a sign that
read

"MISSION ACCOMPLISHED."

Thanks for the laugh doofus.

> Goth Loser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Is this like a war of attrition on the insurgents' caches of
> > explosives? There seems to be an awful lot of folks driving around
> > getting blown up and not even getting a shot off from their rifles. I
> > mean it's one thing to volunteer for your country and another to be
> > brave enough to face combat but at the very least wouldn't you want to
> > squeeze a few rounds off in anger before coming home in pieces?

Gunner

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 20:39:17 -0700, Winston Smith
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 7 Jun 2005 20:25:59 -0700, "Goth Loser" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>Is this like a war of attrition on the insurgents' caches of
>>explosives? There seems to be an awful lot of folks driving around
>>getting blown up and not even getting a shot off from their rifles. I
>>mean it's one thing to volunteer for your country and another to be
>>brave enough to face combat but at the very least wouldn't you want to
>>squeeze a few rounds off in anger before coming home in pieces?

>I heard a General in Iraq interviewed on TV. Short version - the
>early ones were primitive but we were unprepared. Over time we got
>better as spotting them and putting armor where it counts. They got
>better at making more sophisticated ones and hiding them. At the
>moment he described it as a day to day see-saw escalation.

IEDs can be put anywhere. There is NO defense that will ever be 100%.

Like no one can ever hide from a determined assasin. The only thing
you can do is kill the bomb makers and the assasin before they killl
you.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Gunner

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 05:06:38 GMT, "XTS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Never check history before invading a country to steal their resources. it's
>a waste of time.

Fatally flawed implication. Rest of the buffoons post is of equally
worthless value.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

XTS

"Gunner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 05:06:38 GMT, "XTS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Never check history before invading a country to steal their resources.

it's
> >a waste of time.

> Fatally flawed implication. Rest of the buffoons post is of equally
> worthless value.
>
> Gunner

Well, gunner, perhaps you sould read some history. When there is an
invasion, there is resitance. Ever heard of the French reistance, it's
historical gunner. How about the resistance by the Hungarians, and the
Poles in 1958 gunner. If Bush would bother to read, he woud have known his
armies would meet resitance, but by him, and rumsfelds own admission, they
did not figure on stiff reisitance.

And since it's the restience that is making the devises that are blowing our
kids up, it was Bush, Rumsfeld who made the fatal flaw, but they are not the
fatalities, the fatalities are just kids.

The Ceasers did not figure the resitance of a few horders of barbarians
either gunner. Did their empire last the mellenia they figured on, nope,
why, because of the resistance to their empire.

So, gunner, you show the fatal flaw, and you and I can debate it, but since
you can't gunner, you are dismissed as another one sentence wonder, who
offers no rebuttal, only bullshit...gunner..lol...sure you are.

> "Pax Americana is a philosophy. Hardly an empire.
> Making sure other people play nice and dont kill each other (and us)
> off in job lots is hardly empire building, particularly when you give
> them self determination under "play nice" rules.
>
> Think of it as having your older brother knock the **** out of you
> for torturing the cat." Gunner

Chance Hopkins

"Gunner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 05:06:38 GMT, "XTS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Never check history before invading a country to steal their resources.
>>it's
>>a waste of time.

> Fatally flawed implication. Rest of the buffoons post is of equally
> worthless value.

Actually he just made you look like a buffoon. He presented you with a
myriad of points and situations that directly countered your trite
accusation that somehow the war would be "going better" if it just weren't
for that darn media and you reponded with "grunt".

The media is hardly to blame for the incompetence of the administration.

How are those flowers we are collecting from the people? They still throwing
them?

Pope Secola VI

XTS wrote:
> "Gunner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 05:06:38 GMT, "XTS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>Never check history before invading a country to steal their resources.

> it's
>
>>>a waste of time.

>>Fatally flawed implication. Rest of the buffoons post is of equally
>>worthless value.
>>
>>Gunner

> Well, gunner, perhaps you sould read some history. When there is an
> invasion, there is resitance. Ever heard of the French reistance, it's
> historical gunner. How about the resistance by the Hungarians, and the
> Poles in 1958 gunner. If Bush would bother to read, he woud have known his
> armies would meet resitance, but by him, and rumsfelds own admission, they
> did not figure on stiff reisitance.
>
> And since it's the restience that is making the devises that are blowing our
> kids up, it was Bush, Rumsfeld who made the fatal flaw, but they are not the
> fatalities, the fatalities are just kids.
>
> The Ceasers did not figure the resitance of a few horders of barbarians
> either gunner. Did their empire last the mellenia they figured on, nope,
> why, because of the resistance to their empire.
>
> So, gunner, you show the fatal flaw, and you and I can debate it, but since
> you can't gunner, you are dismissed as another one sentence wonder, who
> offers no rebuttal, only bullshit...gunner..lol...sure you are.
>

>>"Pax Americana is a philosophy. Hardly an empire.
>>Making sure other people play nice and dont kill each other (and us)
>>off in job lots is hardly empire building, particularly when you give
>>them self determination under "play nice" rules.
>>
>>Think of it as having your older brother knock the **** out of you
>>for torturing the cat." Gunner

So by your figuring we should be seeing all kinds of Killing and
bombings in the southern states that tried to leave the Union and were
invaded by forces of the Northern States in 1865.

Yet the southern states are relatively peaceful but you take your life
in your hands if you visit Boston, New York, Washington DC, Chicago,
Detroit, Pittsburgh, and Philadelphia, and we won't even Mention Las Angles.

I wonder how this worked out??????

--
He who establishes a tyranny and does not kill Brutus,
and he who establishes a democratic regime and does not kill

Niccolo Machiavelli

Frank White

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...

>Is this like a war of attrition on the insurgents' caches of
>explosives?

The evaluations I've seen are that, between the massive weapons/
explosives caches Saddam had set up around the country which are
now in insurgent hands, and the free flow of same into Iraq, the
insurgents basically have unlimited materials on which to draw.

> There seems to be an awful lot of folks driving around
>getting blown up and not even getting a shot off from their rifles. I
>mean it's one thing to volunteer for your country and another to be
>brave enough to face combat but at the very least wouldn't you want to
>squeeze a few rounds off in anger before coming home in pieces?

Well, given that you might accidently hit a Pat Tillman with
those few rounds instead of an insurgent...

But I don't think we have a strategy except looking out for them,
and prayer.

FW