Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > PowerShot G1, G2, G3, G5 and G6 since year 2000

PowerShot G1, G2, G3, G5 and G6 since year 2000

per

With that tempo a G7 will be out soon enough.
What new gizmos could be hoped for this time?
/per

Robert Barr

per wrote:
> With that tempo a G7 will be out soon enough.
> What new gizmos could be hoped for this time?
> /per

Focus that works. Flash focus assist actually used as focus aid.

Pete Fenelon

Robert Barr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> per wrote:
>> With that tempo a G7 will be out soon enough.
>> What new gizmos could be hoped for this time?
>> /per
>>

> Focus that works. Flash focus assist actually used as focus aid.

How about a Pro-1 clone that isn't noisy and works well in low light?
(*very nearly* a very nice camera!)

pete
--
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) "There's no room for enigmas in built-up areas" - HMHB

per

My wife has a G5 at work, and it takes so very much better pics than my
Konica KD-500Z, that I plan to get a Canon G series soon.
It's interesting to see that the G6 takes e.g. better night shots, in the
DCRP reviews, than the kit lenses for Canon Rebel XT and Nikon D70.
A better lens than these kit lenses will cost nearly as much or more than a
G6 camera. And the Pro-1 lens gives more purple fringe.
What I would like to get in a G7 would be low noise at high ISO, with
technology similar to the Fuji FinePix F10.
Faster, better focusing is always needed of course.
Somehow I believe the better Canon cameras give more "beautiful" colors than
others. And it's not a question of "vivid" colors. It's something else.
I really don't want to buy a G6 tomorrow, and then find the next day that a
new G7 is out.
/per

"Pete Fenelon" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Robert Barr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> per wrote:
>>> With that tempo a G7 will be out soon enough.
>>> What new gizmos could be hoped for this time?
>>> /per
>>>

>> Focus that works. Flash focus assist actually used as focus aid.

> How about a Pro-1 clone that isn't noisy and works well in low light?
> (*very nearly* a very nice camera!)
>
> pete

Gisle Hannemyr

"per" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> With that tempo a G7 will be out soon enough.
> What new gizmos could be hoped for this time?

- No perceptible shutter delay (when pre-focused).
- Improved high-ISO noise.
- 5 Mpx.

I really hope that they use the advances in sensor design to
give improved noise performance rather than more useless
megapixels.

The 5 Mpx in my PS G5 gives me nice prints up to A3. I don't
see a need for anything bigger than A3 (and most of the time,
I print a lot smaller).

The optics of the Canon G-series so far has been astounding.
I hope they keep that. If it had an useable ISO 800 and the
same responsiveness as a DSLR, it would be just perfect.

Roger

On 06 Jun 2005 12:53:52 +0200, Gisle Hannemyr <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I really hope that they use the advances in sensor design to
>give improved noise performance rather than more useless
>megapixels.
>
>The 5 Mpx in my PS G5 gives me nice prints up to A3. I don't
>see a need for anything bigger than A3 (and most of the time,
>I print a lot smaller).

Well said, I agree. I have a 5MP Canon S60 that I can't say enough
nice things about. It does need better low-noise at high-ISO and
low-light performance. But with the 28mm lens, small footprint, loads
of features it is really a good current compromise for a travel
camera. My wife recently stepped up to a used G3. What a nice camera!
At the expense of some MP (G3 at 4MP, S60 at 5MP) she has gained a
much better low-light lens and pretty acceptable low-light noise
response at high ISO. However, it doesn't meet my 28mm WA
requirements.

I would really like to see a 5-6MP P&S format camera with a 28mm (or
wider) fast lens and good low-noise at high-ISO performance. I'd like
to see this much more than another 8MP wonder like the S-Pro1. When I
saw this camera for the first time I thought I'd finally found a good
compact, versatile travel camera. The first thing my photo dealer
(also a photography cohort who knows my style very well) warned me of
was the poor noise performance. It took one shot at ISO400 in a dark
corner of the shop to see the problems in the shadow details.

Given the two cameras we have, we won't be buying anything else until
the low-light performance is improved or the G3/S60 dies . Folks
with 6MP DSLRs have been showing that 6MP is enough for a huge number
of tasks. I'd like to see the P&S cameras benefit from some of that
same design criteria. I know it's not a simple sensor replacement, but
as long as the manufacturers are pilling there marketing dollars into
multiple models in multiple formats, I'd like to see them get one
model out there for those who take pictures indoors, travel, need
dawn/dusk performance and a small footprint.

Some of us like to turn the flash off at night and on during the day
and don't want the heft of a DSLR. If I want SLR, I can carry any
number of film cameras that will outperform the digitals in this
arena.

Regards,
Roger

DHB

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 08:01:15 -0500, Roger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 06 Jun 2005 12:53:52 +0200, Gisle Hannemyr <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>I really hope that they use the advances in sensor design to
>>give improved noise performance rather than more useless
>>megapixels.
>>
>>The 5 Mpx in my PS G5 gives me nice prints up to A3. I don't
>>see a need for anything bigger than A3 (and most of the time,
>>I print a lot smaller).

>Well said, I agree. I have a 5MP Canon S60 that I can't say enough
>nice things about. It does need better low-noise at high-ISO and
>low-light performance. But with the 28mm lens, small footprint, loads
>of features it is really a good current compromise for a travel
>camera. My wife recently stepped up to a used G3. What a nice camera!
>At the expense of some MP (G3 at 4MP, S60 at 5MP) she has gained a
>much better low-light lens and pretty acceptable low-light noise
>response at high ISO. However, it doesn't meet my 28mm WA
>requirements.
>
>I would really like to see a 5-6MP P&S format camera with a 28mm (or
>wider) fast lens and good low-noise at high-ISO performance. I'd like
>to see this much more than another 8MP wonder like the S-Pro1. When I
>saw this camera for the first time I thought I'd finally found a good
>compact, versatile travel camera. The first thing my photo dealer
>(also a photography cohort who knows my style very well) warned me of
>was the poor noise performance. It took one shot at ISO400 in a dark
>corner of the shop to see the problems in the shadow details.
>
>Given the two cameras we have, we won't be buying anything else until
>the low-light performance is improved or the G3/S60 dies .

Low light performance is largely limited by "physical" sensor
size unless new advances are introduced. My G2 (4MP) has a 1/1.8"
sensor & the successor to your S60, the S70 has the same "physical"
size sensor but they have crammed (7.1MP) onto it. This results in
less light per pixel if all things remain equal. Relatively minor
advances is the sensor technology has allowed manufactures to fit more
pixels into less space without a proportional drop in actual sensor
size. This coupled to other advances such as cleaner pixel
amplifiers, faster image processors & even in camera noise reduction
processing has taken us to the 7 to 8MP cameras but as you know, you
don't get something for nothing.

Sadly, I suspect that the vast majority of P&S purchasers are
ignorant to MP versus actual sensor size issues. To many, more seems
better just as digital zoom may also sound like it should be better
than optical zoom. Manufactures don't cater their P&S cameras
primarily to the well informed consumer, they build them for the vast
majority & know that the rest will likely buy a DSLR or the best P&S
they offer that meets their basic needs best as you have.

Recently I purchased an A95 (5MP) for general use when I want
something smaller than my G2 or DSLR. The A95 is a fine camera for
it's size & price, so like you I now await something better in a P&S
but I don't think it's coming soon unless there is a considerable
advance in sensor technology. So we may have a 2 or 3 year wait or we
may be surprised by new advances, I think it's more likely that it
will be 3 years before I see anything of significant advancement in a
P&S to make me consider a new camera.

> Folks with 6MP DSLRs have been showing that 6MP is enough for a huge number
>of tasks. I'd like to see the P&S cameras benefit from some of that
>same design criteria. I know it's not a simple sensor replacement, but
>as long as the manufacturers are pilling there marketing dollars into
>multiple models in multiple formats, I'd like to see them get one
>model out there for those who take pictures indoors, travel, need
>dawn/dusk performance and a small footprint.
>
>Some of us like to turn the flash off at night and on during the day
>and don't want the heft of a DSLR. If I want SLR, I can carry any
>number of film cameras that will outperform the digitals in this
>arena.
>
>Regards,
>Roger

Same here, I go flashless 90% of the time but usually that
forces me to take my DSLR or deal with the high noise in post editing
as best I can. Wherever possible I try to keep the flash turned off.
For slow of stationary subjects, long exposures work wonders but
that's not always possible. Try getting a very young child to remain
motionless of 1/4 or 1/8th of a second, rarely works for me. Now a 2
to 15 second long exposure of the inside a building, such as a house,
restaurant, bar, club or etc. works great!

Respectfully, DHB

PS I suspect that the A95 is the last of that line. The A530
or A540 is likely to succeed it & it will certainly use SD flash
memory, not CF, which is another reason I picked up an A95. Thus far
all of my cameras use the same type of memory, CF cards.
to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

Dan Daniels

I just purchased a new G6 two months ago. Although I haven't had the
camera long enough to really understand its full potential, my early
experiences with the camera have been very promising.

In particular, the twist-around display on Canon G series PowerShot
cameras is very helpfully. I have already used it twice to take perfect
shots of a crowd while holding the camera well above my head. You
simply can't do that with most cameras.

Owamanga

On 6 Jun 2005 12:54:38 -0700, "Dan Daniels" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have already used it twice to take perfect shots of a crowd while
>holding the camera well above my head. You simply can't do that
>with most cameras.

I can lift a D70 above my head for many minutes without tiring. I can
even set the timer and throw it about 30ft in the air when situations
require it.

Of course, catching it again is a bit tricky, and *some people* in the
crowd get a little testy when a heavy camera lands on them.

Seriously though, I also have a G6, and the thing I find cool is being
able to shoot from the ground without having to lie down, or shoot
from the waist without people knowing a camera is pointed their way.
Resolution exceeds that of the D70, but image quality is significantly
inferior despite the resolution difference.

It's also quite annoying that you can't shoot RAW when in 'Auto' mode,
forcing the use of Program mode instead, which isn't as 'wife
friendly'.

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

per

"Owamanga" <owamanga(not-this-bit)@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 6 Jun 2005 12:54:38 -0700, "Dan Daniels" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
> Seriously though, I also have a G6, and the thing I find cool is being
> able to shoot from the ground without having to lie down, or shoot
> from the waist without people knowing a camera is pointed their way.
> Resolution exceeds that of the D70, but image quality is significantly
> inferior despite the resolution difference.
> Owamanga!

Would you honestly call this test pic:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...ES/G6INMP3.HTM
inferiour to: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...S/D70INMP5.HTM