Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > PowerShot G1, G2, G3, G5 and G6 since year 2000

Reply
Thread Tools

PowerShot G1, G2, G3, G5 and G6 since year 2000

 
 
Owamanga
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-07-2005
On 6 Jun 2005 23:33:27 +0200, "per" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Owamanga" <owamanga(not-this-bit)@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On 6 Jun 2005 12:54:38 -0700, "Dan Daniels" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>> Seriously though, I also have a G6, and the thing I find cool is being
>> able to shoot from the ground without having to lie down, or shoot
>> from the waist without people knowing a camera is pointed their way.
>> Resolution exceeds that of the D70, but image quality is significantly
>> inferior despite the resolution difference.

>
>Would you honestly call this test pic:
>http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...ES/G6INMP3.HTM
>inferiour to: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...S/D70INMP5.HTM


Yes, there is a lot of color-noise on the G6 image that isn't present
on the D70 (check the woman's neck). Also the leaves in the top left
of the G6 image highlight contrast issues with the lens.
(Unfortunately, the D70 image wasn't framed exactly the same to
compare properly).

>Or is this nightshot:
>http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca.../nightshot.jpg
>really significantly inferiour to:
>http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ni.../nightshot.jpg
>/per


Yes, all bright lights in the G6 image show a purple halo, present in
only a few of the brightest points in the D70 shot (both of which are
over-exposed BTW, it's a lousy test this one).

A mixture of a smaller noisier sensor, and inferior lens on the G6
gives results you'd expect. Don't get me wrong, it's not terrible, and
I'm sure with post-processing something could be done about the color
noise - I just haven't had the inclination to investigate this yet.

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
per
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-07-2005

"Owamanga" <owamanga(not-this-bit)@hotmail.com> wrote:
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 6 Jun 2005 23:33:27 +0200, "per" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>Would you honestly call this test pic:
>> http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...ES/G6INMP3.HTM
>>inferiour to:
>>http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...S/D70INMP5.HTM

>
> Yes, there is a lot of color-noise on the G6 image that isn't present
> on the D70 (check the woman's neck). Also the leaves in the top left
> of the G6 image highlight contrast issues with the lens.


Is this really the opinion of all you guys? Do you seriously prefer that
Nikon pic?
I see no sharpness in the D70 picture at all, compared to the G6 pic.
/per


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
David J Taylor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2005
per wrote:
> "Owamanga" <owamanga(not-this-bit)@hotmail.com> wrote:
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On 6 Jun 2005 23:33:27 +0200, "per" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>> Would you honestly call this test pic:
>>> http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...ES/G6INMP3.HTM
>>> inferiour to:
>>> http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...S/D70INMP5.HTM

>>
>> Yes, there is a lot of color-noise on the G6 image that isn't present
>> on the D70 (check the woman's neck). Also the leaves in the top left
>> of the G6 image highlight contrast issues with the lens.

>
> Is this really the opinion of all you guys? Do you seriously prefer
> that Nikon pic?
> I see no sharpness in the D70 picture at all, compared to the G6 pic.
> /per


I would agree that the D70 picture is better (fewer artefacts). What you
are probably seeing is the smaller depth of field in the DLSR image,
rendering the background and flowers more out of focus compared to the G6.

David


 
Reply With Quote
 
dylan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2005

"per" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:42a365f0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> With that tempo a G7 will be out soon enough.
> What new gizmos could be hoped for this time?
> /per
>


more Zoom, as long as it's a good one,
B (Bulb) setting
Connector for my TC-80N3 timer remote controller
No more pixels if it's going to mean more noise


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'Huge jump' in Microsoft flaws since last year Au79 Computer Support 2 12-01-2007 02:04 AM
Re: Illegal alien population increases by %88 percent in US since 2000 greg3347 Digital Photography 5 11-17-2007 05:09 PM
Number of Days since the beginning of the year Tantale Javascript 3 08-08-2005 09:03 PM
Date() - year missing since clocks changed Orson Javascript 6 11-01-2003 09:04 PM
Re: Canon Powershot A60 vs. Canon Powershot A70 Sexy Susan Digital Photography 2 09-22-2003 07:39 PM



Advertisments