Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > "Digital Camera" battery vs. two AA's?

"Digital Camera" battery vs. two AA's?

Paul Ciszek

My camera came with a pair of "digital camera" batteries, but will
also run on 4 AA's. In fact, it looks to me like each "digital
camera" battery is just two AA's joined by a plastic frame. Is
there any reason to prefer one over the other? Which option costs
less per mAhr?

--
Please reply to: | "When the press is free and every man
pciszek at panix dot com | able to read, all is safe."

brotherhug

Once you've used a Lithiom Ion battery such as the one the comes with
the Canon D10, you'll never think about AA's again...

Nostrobino

"Paul Ciszek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d7vn9h$mut$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My camera came with a pair of "digital camera" batteries, but will
> also run on 4 AA's. In fact, it looks to me like each "digital
> camera" battery is just two AA's joined by a plastic frame. Is
> there any reason to prefer one over the other? Which option costs
> less per mAhr?

What you have are almost certainly lithium batteries made to take the place
of standard AA cells. They are made in that configuration because each
lithium battery has a higher voltage, roughly equal to two standard AA
cells.

Those lithium batteries have much greater capacity than regular alkaline AA
cells, but are also much more expensive. The *best* option for most users is
to not use either, but use NiMH rechargeable batteries in the AA size. Four
AA size NiMH cells plus a fast charger are not too expensive, and if good
quality and properly cared for, the same set (or better yet, that plus an
extra set) should last a long time. You could keep the lithium batteries for
an emergency situation when may run out of charged NiMHs.

Your camera manual should mention the use of NiMH cells. They are suitable
and recommended for all cameras that I've ever seen that take regular AA
cells, though their nominal voltage is slightly lower than alkalines.

N.

Big Bill

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 20:28:33 +0000 (UTC), http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Paul
Ciszek) wrote:

>My camera came with a pair of "digital camera" batteries, but will
>also run on 4 AA's. In fact, it looks to me like each "digital
>camera" battery is just two AA's joined by a plastic frame. Is
>there any reason to prefer one over the other? Which option costs
>less per mAhr?

Those are CR-V3 batteries, probably, and are usually lithium
batteries, not rechargable, although there are rechargable lithium ion
CR-V3s.
If they aren't rechargable, they are one-shot throwaway deals,
obviously more expensive than rechargable AAs.
Most people use NiMH rechargable AAs, as they represent the best
economic choice now.

--
Big Bill
Replace "g" with "a"

Ron Hunter

brotherhug wrote:
> Once you've used a Lithiom Ion battery such as the one the comes with
> the Canon D10, you'll never think about AA's again...

Until the day when you run out of power and don't have a spare battery....

--
Ron Hunter (E-Mail Removed)

Charlie Self

Big Bill wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 20:28:33 +0000 (UTC), (E-Mail Removed) (Paul
> Ciszek) wrote:
>
> >My camera came with a pair of "digital camera" batteries, but will
> >also run on 4 AA's. In fact, it looks to me like each "digital
> >camera" battery is just two AA's joined by a plastic frame. Is
> >there any reason to prefer one over the other? Which option costs
> >less per mAhr?

> Those are CR-V3 batteries, probably, and are usually lithium
> batteries, not rechargable, although there are rechargable lithium ion
> CR-V3s.
> If they aren't rechargable, they are one-shot throwaway deals,
> obviously more expensive than rechargable AAs.
> Most people use NiMH rechargable AAs, as they represent the best
> economic choice now.

Yup. My Pentax *istD gets about 1250 to 1400 shots on the CRV3
batteries and about 550 to 700 shots on each charge on NiMH AA
rechargeables. The difference: the CRV3 batteries cost about $20 a pop,
while four NiMH AAs cost half that, and can be recharged at least 250
times, possibly as many as 600 times (that's the translation of what
1000+ charges in manufacturese means).

I believe it pays to keep a couple CRV3s in the bag--10 year shelf
life--for those days when somehow you haven't gotten your three sets of
NiMHs up to snuff. Cheap insurance against a power failure.

Rechargeable lithium ion CRV3s are available, but it is going to cost a
ton of bucks for the charger, and two tons for the batteries.

Paul Rubin

"Charlie Self" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Yup. My Pentax *istD gets about 1250 to 1400 shots on the CRV3
> batteries and about 550 to 700 shots on each charge on NiMH AA
> rechargeables. The difference: the CRV3 batteries cost about $20 a pop,
> while four NiMH AAs cost half that, and can be recharged at least 250
> times, possibly as many as 600 times (that's the translation of what
> 1000+ charges in manufacturese means).

You could try lithium AA batteries which should be similar to the
CRV3's. You can get them for $1.50 or so each, $1.00 if you know
where to shop.

Roger

On 05 Jun 2005 17:19:24 -0700, Paul Rubin
<http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Charlie Self" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>You could try lithium AA batteries which should be similar to the
>CRV3's. You can get them for $1.50 or so each, $1.00 if you know
>where to shop.

Charlie,

Can you give me a clue on where to shop? . I haven't found Lithiums
anywhere near that price.

Thanks,
Roger

Ron

Look around for rechargeable CR-V3s; prices are coming down. I find that
in one of my P&S Olys the results are far better than NiMH's. I'll grant
that different cameras place different stress levels on batteries, but
don't rule out the CR-V3s. Of course, failing that, get NiMH's and a one
hour charger. It's hard to go wrong with any brand these days.

Paul Ciszek wrote:

> My camera came with a pair of "digital camera" batteries, but will
> also run on 4 AA's. In fact, it looks to me like each "digital
> camera" battery is just two AA's joined by a plastic frame. Is
> there any reason to prefer one over the other? Which option costs
> less per mAhr?

Paul Rubin

http://www.batterystation.com/lithium.htm