Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Making Camera Power Supply from ATX PS

Reply
Thread Tools

Making Camera Power Supply from ATX PS

 
 
James Sweet
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-05-2005

"Al Dykes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d7tjlb$qbp$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> philo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Nehmo Sergheyev wrote:
> >> I have a HP M22 camera http://snipurl.com/fd13 , and here are its power
> >> specs:
> >>
> >> "Typical power usage: 1.35 Watts with Image Display on. 2.9 Watts
> >> maximum power usage.
> >> Power sources include the following:
> >> . Either two non-rechargeable AA Lithium batteries (included) or two
> >> rechargeable AA NiMH batteries (purchased separately). Rechargeable
> >> batteries can be recharged either in the camera using the optional HP

AC
> >> power adapter or optional HP Photosmart M-series dock, or separately in
> >> the optional HP Photosmart Quick Recharger.
> >> . Optional HP AC power adapter (3.3 Vdc, 2500 mA, 8.25 W).
> >> . Optional HP Photosmart M-series dock.
> >> Recharging in camera with the optional HP AC power adapter or optional
> >> HP Photosmart M-series dock: 100% in 15 hours."
> >>
> >> HP sells a $50 external power supply for the camera:
> >> HP Photosmart 3.3V AC adapter C8912B http://snipurl.com/fd11 , which
> >> provides 3.3 Volts.

> >
> ><snip>
> >although in theory you could use the 3.3v connection of an atx
> >supply...i don't think it would be worth trying to do so...
> >as if you made a mistake you could damage your expensive camera...
> >
> >$50 for that adaptor is of course absurd...
> >you could prob. find something at radio shack that would work...
> >however...why not play it safe and simply remove the batteries from the
> >camera and purchase a seperate charger.
> >
> >it would certainly be the cheapest and safest thing to do

>



I think I have some random 3.3v SMPS "wall wart" type AC adapters, you'd
probably have to put your own plug on it but if you want one I'd be happy to
send one for a couple bucks to cover packing plus postage.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
ASAAR
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-05-2005
On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 00:30:36 +0100, Shepİ wrote:

> Also I think it's cheaper to buy and use Li-on re-charegable AA
> batteries and a good wall charger(Or a PC<BFG>


Was the <BFG> was just for using a PC as a charger, or for the
entire statement? If the former, you should be aware than AA
lithium batteries are primary batteries. They aren't rechargeable,
despite their high price. The voltage of rechargeable lithium-ion
batteries are also much, much higher than the 1.5 volts normally
seen in AA batteries.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
mike
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-05-2005
Shepİ wrote:
> On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 17:11:37 -0500 If I have seen farther it is
> because I have stood on the shoulder of giants philo
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>
>
>
>>although in theory you could use the 3.3v connection of an atx
>>supply...i don't think it would be worth trying to do so...
>>as if you made a mistake you could damage your expensive camera...
>>
>>$50 for that adaptor is of course absurd...
>>you could prob. find something at radio shack that would work...
>>however...why not play it safe and simply remove the batteries from the
>>camera and purchase a seperate charger.
>>
>>it would certainly be the cheapest and safest thing to do

>
>
> Not a lot of people know this(In fact I think only me<grin>).The two
> digi cameras I've had if I leave them connected to the PC after
> downloading piccys to the PC get trickle charged by the USB port
>
> Noticed when I left PC on overnight for downloading but left camera
> connected and knew batteries were low.Came back on the morrow to find
> fully charged Camera
>
> Also I think it's cheaper to buy and use Li-on re-charegable AA
> batteries and a good wall charger(Or a PC<BFG>


Please disclose your source for Li-on re-chargeable AA batteries
and a charger for same. Please also disclose the prices you've been
paying and your actual personal experience with the setup.
Thanks, mike


--
Return address is VALID but some sites block emails
with links. Delete this sig when replying.
..
Wanted, PCMCIA SCSI Card for HP m820 CDRW.
FS 500MHz Tek DSOscilloscope TDS540 Make Offer
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
Bunch of stuff For Sale and Wanted at the link below.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
ht<removethis>tp://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/

 
Reply With Quote
 
philo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-05-2005
Al Dykes wrote:

>><snip>
>>although in theory you could use the 3.3v connection of an atx
>>supply...i don't think it would be worth trying to do so...
>>as if you made a mistake you could damage your expensive camera...
>>
>>$50 for that adaptor is of course absurd...
>>you could prob. find something at radio shack that would work...
>>however...why not play it safe and simply remove the batteries from the
>>camera and purchase a seperate charger.
>>
>>it would certainly be the cheapest and safest thing to do

>
>
> A PC power supply needs a minimum load so it won't power just
> your camera. I also don't know how you'd turn it on since
> it's controlled from the mobo.


to turn on an ATX supply all you need to do is touch the green wire to
ground...
but i still would not adivse doing such
>
> Look for a power supply on ebay or go to Radio Shack. They sell
> wall warts in all sorts of sizes.
>
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
kony
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-05-2005
On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 19:49:00 -0700, Kevin McMurtrie
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:


>> >Switching power supplies can get twitchy outside of a their normal load
>> >range. I wouldn't connect one to my camera without doing some stability
>> >tests first.

>>
>> You're not likely to find a non-switching regulated adapter
>> worth the 2.5A of the one HP sells, and certainly not at
>> $30. Almost all semi-regulated adapter in smaller forms
>> supplying 1.5A or more will be switching.

>
>I didn't say that a switching power supply was bad. Nearly all of the
>good wall warts are of that kind. The problem is that switching power
>supplies are unstable by nature so they sometimes have an operating load
>range. An computer power supply designed to deliver 3.3v @ 10A to 50A
>might not be stable with a load that varies from 1mA to 1500mA.


Ah, I misinterpreted what you wrote. That's true, normally
one puts a ~ 2A load on the 5V rail to ensure stabilization,
but it gets much more risky with open-frame swichers, those
not intended for non-integrated usage, not to be hot-plugged
(not that any are, but those with consumer-gear external
cords tend to be designed with such events in mind).
 
Reply With Quote
 
Shepİ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-05-2005
On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 00:57:18 -0700 If I have seen farther it is
because I have stood on the shoulder of giants mike
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

>Shepİ wrote:
>> On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 17:11:37 -0500 If I have seen farther it is
>> because I have stood on the shoulder of giants philo
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>>
>>
>>
>>>although in theory you could use the 3.3v connection of an atx
>>>supply...i don't think it would be worth trying to do so...
>>>as if you made a mistake you could damage your expensive camera...
>>>
>>>$50 for that adaptor is of course absurd...
>>>you could prob. find something at radio shack that would work...
>>>however...why not play it safe and simply remove the batteries from the
>>>camera and purchase a seperate charger.
>>>
>>>it would certainly be the cheapest and safest thing to do

>>
>>
>> Not a lot of people know this(In fact I think only me<grin>).The two
>> digi cameras I've had if I leave them connected to the PC after
>> downloading piccys to the PC get trickle charged by the USB port
>>
>> Noticed when I left PC on overnight for downloading but left camera
>> connected and knew batteries were low.Came back on the morrow to find
>> fully charged Camera
>>
>> Also I think it's cheaper to buy and use Li-on re-charegable AA
>> batteries and a good wall charger(Or a PC<BFG>

>
>Please disclose your source for Li-on re-chargeable AA batteries
>and a charger for same. Please also disclose the prices you've been
>paying and your actual personal experience with the setup.
>Thanks, mike


Sorry.My mistake they are the Nickel Metal Hydride type which are
still better than the old Ni-cads.

They are the newer common colour Green type in the UK and you can get
them quite a few places.I bought some and a fast charger at a local
market but also, ebay,
http://search.ebay.co.uk/aa-recharge...jsZ1QQfromZR40
They don't suffer from the old memory problem of the ni-cads AFAIK

I now have a habit of leaving my digi camera at the side of my PC
plugged in for a session after downloading piccys and the haven't used
the wall charger for ages for the camera



--
Free Windows/PC help,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
Shepİ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-05-2005
On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 18:48:35 +0100 If I have seen farther it is
because I have stood on the shoulder of giants Shepİ
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

>On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 00:57:18 -0700 If I have seen farther it is
>because I have stood on the shoulder of giants mike
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>
>>Shepİ wrote:
>>> On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 17:11:37 -0500 If I have seen farther it is
>>> because I have stood on the shoulder of giants philo
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>although in theory you could use the 3.3v connection of an atx
>>>>supply...i don't think it would be worth trying to do so...
>>>>as if you made a mistake you could damage your expensive camera...
>>>>
>>>>$50 for that adaptor is of course absurd...
>>>>you could prob. find something at radio shack that would work...
>>>>however...why not play it safe and simply remove the batteries from the
>>>>camera and purchase a seperate charger.
>>>>
>>>>it would certainly be the cheapest and safest thing to do
>>>
>>>
>>> Not a lot of people know this(In fact I think only me<grin>).The two
>>> digi cameras I've had if I leave them connected to the PC after
>>> downloading piccys to the PC get trickle charged by the USB port
>>>
>>> Noticed when I left PC on overnight for downloading but left camera
>>> connected and knew batteries were low.Came back on the morrow to find
>>> fully charged Camera
>>>
>>> Also I think it's cheaper to buy and use Li-on re-charegable AA
>>> batteries and a good wall charger(Or a PC<BFG>

>>
>>Please disclose your source for Li-on re-chargeable AA batteries
>>and a charger for same. Please also disclose the prices you've been
>>paying and your actual personal experience with the setup.
>>Thanks, mike

>
>Sorry.My mistake they are the Nickel Metal Hydride type which are
>still better than the old Ni-cads.
>
>They are the newer common colour Green type in the UK and you can get
>them quite a few places.I bought some and a fast charger at a local
>market but also, ebay,
>http://search.ebay.co.uk/aa-recharge...jsZ1QQfromZR40
>They don't suffer from the old memory problem of the ni-cads AFAIK
>
>I now have a habit of leaving my digi camera at the side of my PC
>plugged in for a session after downloading piccys and the haven't used
>the wall charger for ages for the camera


PS I got the 2500Mh ones



--
Free Windows/PC help,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
Chief Suspect
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-05-2005
In article <d7tjlb$qbp$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
>
> Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
>

==============

OT, but just had to comment. It is indeed your fault. You should have
voted for somebody else entirely, like I did. Enough of those, and we
would have won. Bush and Gore BOTH were losers! There were other
choices.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Franc Zabkar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-05-2005
On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 21:36:27 GMT, "Nehmo Sergheyev"
<(E-Mail Removed)> put finger to keyboard and composed:

>I have a HP M22 camera http://snipurl.com/fd13 , and here are its power
>specs:
>
>"Typical power usage: 1.35 Watts with Image Display on. 2.9 Watts
>maximum power usage.
>Power sources include the following:
>. Either two non-rechargeable AA Lithium batteries (included) or two
>rechargeable AA NiMH batteries (purchased separately). Rechargeable
>batteries can be recharged either in the camera using the optional HP AC
>power adapter or optional HP Photosmart M-series dock, or separately in
>the optional HP Photosmart Quick Recharger.
>. Optional HP AC power adapter (3.3 Vdc, 2500 mA, 8.25 W).
>. Optional HP Photosmart M-series dock.
>Recharging in camera with the optional HP AC power adapter or optional
>HP Photosmart M-series dock: 100% in 15 hours."
>
>HP sells a $50 external power supply for the camera:
>HP Photosmart 3.3V AC adapter C8912B http://snipurl.com/fd11 , which
>provides 3.3 Volts.
>
>A marking on the camera assigns the + polarity to the center connector
>of the jack, and it's a small jack.
>
>Q1: What do you call that kind of jack?


EIAJ DC plug?
http://wagner.net.au/Catalogue/07_15.pdf

>Q2: Computer ATX power supplies have a 3.3 V line. I have some old
>unused power supplies (and I can buy them nearby for $5). Can I use an
>ATX power supply to power the camera?


I'd modify my PC by locating a spare 3.3V plug on my PSU and running a
cable to a slot bracket in an empty slot, or to a hole in the case, or
to an unused 5.25" bay.

WARNING: If you try this, I'd first ensure that the camera's USB
ground and supply negative are at the same potential, otherwise you
may damage your camera if you have both cables connected at the same
time. You can do this by connecting a dummy plug to the DC socket. Use
a DMM to test for continuity between the two grounds. Remove the
batteries while doing this.


- Franc Zabkar
--
Please remove one 's' from my address when replying by email.
 
Reply With Quote
 
kony
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-05-2005
On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 06:17:44 +1000, Franc Zabkar
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<snip>

>WARNING: If you try this, I'd first ensure that the camera's USB
>ground and supply negative are at the same potential, otherwise you
>may damage your camera if you have both cables connected at the same
>time. You can do this by connecting a dummy plug to the DC socket. Use
>a DMM to test for continuity between the two grounds. Remove the
>batteries while doing this.


I agree that the grounds need be same potential but have you
ever run across any USB GND that wasn't already at power
GND? AFAIK, they all are.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Antec ATX 12v Power Supply Tester @ ThinkComputers.org Silverstrand Front Page News 3 12-04-2005 08:05 AM
HEC Group ACE 580UB ATX Power Supply Silverstrand Front Page News 0 10-05-2005 01:55 PM
How to troubleshoot ATX power supply? Ron Holt Computer Support 11 03-12-2005 06:02 AM
RCA 030 Camera Power supply RCA CPS02 Power Supply nick Digital Photography 0 01-22-2004 10:27 PM
Micro ATX Boards and Power Supply buffy Computer Support 1 10-22-2003 02:26 PM



Advertisments