Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Matching Nikon camera to an Incident meter

Matching Nikon camera to an Incident meter

John

I use a Nikon 5700. In manual mode, or AP, SP, I can never match the
exposure so that it is the same as my Minolta IV4 incident meter. I have
taken camera reading from my grey card, fiddled with changing ISO values,
but never do they match up. Anyone have any suggestions?

Bigguy

How much does it not match by? Is the camera using Auto ISO?
Are you using the meter to measure incident or reflected light?

Guy

John wrote:
> I use a Nikon 5700. In manual mode, or AP, SP, I can never match the
> exposure so that it is the same as my Minolta IV4 incident meter. I
> have taken camera reading from my grey card, fiddled with changing
> ISO values, but never do they match up. Anyone have any suggestions?

John

Guy, usually off by one stop. I set the ISO, not on auto! With the camera
I am taking a reading from a grey card, with the meter, I am measuring via
incident. Both should match, considering I am taking a reading in the same
light, same light direction etc.
"Bigguy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How much does it not match by? Is the camera using Auto ISO?
> Are you using the meter to measure incident or reflected light?
>
> Guy
>
> John wrote:
>> I use a Nikon 5700. In manual mode, or AP, SP, I can never match the
>> exposure so that it is the same as my Minolta IV4 incident meter. I
>> have taken camera reading from my grey card, fiddled with changing
>> ISO values, but never do they match up. Anyone have any suggestions?

Malcolm Stewart

news:Mosoe.55237$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Guy, usually off by one stop. I set the ISO, not on auto! With the

camera
> I am taking a reading from a grey card, with the meter, I am measuring via
> incident. Both should match, considering I am taking a reading in the

same
> light, same light direction etc.

If your 5700 takes good pictures, I'd go with that. If not, use your
Minolta meter's settings on the 5700, and then check the histogram - and
scratch head?.
(My similar vintage CP4500 is normally pretty reliable, except when there's
bright cloud behind the buildings I'm shooting.)
--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK