Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Samsung Pro815 Press Release - Interesting specs to say the least..

Samsung Pro815 Press Release - Interesting specs to say the least..

chrlz@go.com

I'm sure there will be a few catches (high noise, crappy lens, woeful
AF?), but you gotta give Samsung credit for their innovation here...
Read these brief specs:

8Mp (2/3" - presumably the Sony one?)
28-420 lens (15x zoom!) f2.2-4.6
3.5" TFT LCD (ie, largest ever fitted to a digicam)
Second 1.4" top mounted LCD (for info display (yes!!), or
waist-shooting preview)
1900mAh LiIon battery (up to 500 frames per charge)
Manual zoom *and* manual focusing rings (yes, yes, yes!!! - I just
*pray* they are not fly-by-wire..)
'Direct manual focusing' (just use manual focus ring and AF 'lets go')
Preset, Custom and Color Temp white balance modes
Adobe RGB and non-compressed RAW
9 and 25 (!) thumbnail preview
Histogram and Grid display
Video (stereo mic, VGA)
Flash range of 7m in wide mode, with +/-2EV comp
Reversable lens hood
Filter adapter included
Optional remote control

Like, what's *wrong* with these people.... have they actually been
*listening* to photographers or something? Unheard of.

I'm sure there will be some (possibly huge) problems with this camera,
but it will set a very good feature standard for what is to come - so
kudos to Samsung for that, if nothing else. I shall await a review
with interest...

chrlz@go.com

Press release and specs here, no review yet.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0506/05...ung_pro815.asp

Mike Henley

> I'm sure there will be a few catches (high noise, crappy lens, woeful
> AF?), but you gotta give Samsung credit for their innovation here...
> Read these brief specs:

Actually, that german schneider lens has got to be good. In the reviews
I've seen comparing a samsung to a canon digicam, the schneider lens
outperformed the comparable canon one. (it's on dpreview)

> 8Mp (2/3" - presumably the Sony one?)
> 28-420 lens (15x zoom!) f2.2-4.6
> 3.5" TFT LCD (ie, largest ever fitted to a digicam)

This is where it gets ugly. What's the point of having a 3.5" TFT LCD,
the largest ever on a digicam, if it's not going to be protected?!!

All japanese cameras come with a decent LCD protector, either glass or
acrylic, but makers such as samsung and HP sell cameras with naked
LCDs, and from the image I saw of this camera on dpreview, the lcd
looks unprotected! http://tinyurl.com/8uypo

This is just a disaster and a heartache waiting to happen.

> Second 1.4" top mounted LCD (for info display (yes!!), or
> waist-shooting preview)
> 1900mAh LiIon battery (up to 500 frames per charge)
> Manual zoom *and* manual focusing rings (yes, yes, yes!!! - I just
> *pray* they are not fly-by-wire..)
> 'Direct manual focusing' (just use manual focus ring and AF 'lets go')
> Preset, Custom and Color Temp white balance modes
> Adobe RGB and non-compressed RAW
> 9 and 25 (!) thumbnail preview
> Histogram and Grid display
> Video (stereo mic, VGA)

Stereo mic??! is this a camcorder/digicam hybrid?

> Flash range of 7m in wide mode, with +/-2EV comp
> Reversable lens hood
> Filter adapter included
> Optional remote control
>

> Like, what's *wrong* with these people.... have they actually been
> *listening* to photographers or something? Unheard of.

I'd wait to see it in a store to find out whether the LCD is protected
or not. Also, I'd wait for a review to see whether they resolved issues
of horrendous shutter lag, and noise in their cameras.

> I'm sure there will be some (possibly huge) problems with this camera,
> but it will set a very good feature standard for what is to come - so
> kudos to Samsung for that, if nothing else. I shall await a review
> with interest...

Innovation is nice and all, I just wish they'd get the basics right for
a start.