Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon Coolpix movies

Nikon Coolpix movies

Harriett Wright

I made some little movies with my Coolpix 5200, and they play back fine from
my computer (although the controls at the bottom don't appear until I click
on "half size"; then I can click on "normal size" and play the movie. This
took me some time to figure out). I copied one onto a CD-R, and it will
only play back in fits and starts. What did I do wrong? Also, is it
possible to copy these to a DVD?

Thanks.

Harriett

Cooter

It has been my experience that movies such as you describe don't play well
directly from a CD. Works best ot copy then to the hard drive first. Same
goes for slide shows such as ProShow.

As for burning to a DVD, you might want to consider usiing Microsoft's Movie
Maker 2, but you will have to convert your files from .MOV formt to either
..AVI or .WMV format (look for a video converter with Google). You can then
make a DVD that will play on a computer or TV.

Steve

Harriett Wright wrote:
> I copied one onto a CD-R, and it will
> only play back in fits and starts. What did I do wrong? Also, is it
> possible to copy these to a DVD?

Any chance that your CD drive is fairly old and doesn't read the data fast enough?
That it plays back at all suggests that there's nothing wrong with the file. Copy the
file from the CD back to the computer and see if it plays properly. If it does,
you'll know that the file is okay. Another possibility is that you somehow changed
the format when you copied it to the CD and your computer isn't quite good enough to
handle that format.

--
Steve

belief that it was intended as a statement of fact.

If you want a reply to reach me, remove the SPAMTRAP from the address.

Harriett Wright

Thanks for your reply, Steve. I did try copying it back to the computer and
it does play properly, so I guess that means all the data was transferred to
the CD-R. You've given me an idea about the CD drive though. I've had my
computer for three years but it's a refurbished one I got from Dell, so
maybe it's really older than that. My husband has a three year old one
purchased new. I think tomorrow I'll try the CD-R on his computer.

Harriett

news:dgFoe.21230$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Any chance that your CD drive is fairly old and doesn't read the data fast
> enough? That it plays back at all suggests that there's nothing wrong with
> the file. Copy the file from the CD back to the computer and see if it
> plays properly. If it does, you'll know that the file is okay. Another
> possibility is that you somehow changed the format when you copied it to
> the CD and your computer isn't quite good enough to handle that format.

Ed Ruf

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 23:20:45 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Harriett Wright"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I made some little movies with my Coolpix 5200, and they play back fine from
>my computer (although the controls at the bottom don't appear until I click
>on "half size"; then I can click on "normal size" and play the movie. This
>took me some time to figure out). I copied one onto a CD-R, and it will
>only play back in fits and starts. What did I do wrong? Also, is it
>possible to copy these to a DVD?

Since you use the word copied instead of burned, this would imply the use
of packet writing software used to make the CR-R appear as a removable disc
drive. First, this is the least reliable storage method, so I wouldn't keep
my only copy this way. Second, it is the slowest format and could cause
problems with playback. Better to burn a multisession disc.
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

Harriett Wright

I use CD-R's primarily for backup, so I guess it's not really a big deal if
I can't play a movie from one. But what you say about reliability worries
me. Does that mean that data copied to a CD-R could be unstable? Would
that include still pictures as well? Although the movies don't run smoothly
when played from the CD-R, when I copy them back to my computer they play
just fine, including the sound.

Harriett

"Ed Ruf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 23:20:45 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Harriett Wright"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I made some little movies with my Coolpix 5200, and they play back fine
>>from
>>my computer (although the controls at the bottom don't appear until I
>>click
>>on "half size"; then I can click on "normal size" and play the movie.
>>This
>>took me some time to figure out). I copied one onto a CD-R, and it will
>>only play back in fits and starts. What did I do wrong? Also, is it
>>possible to copy these to a DVD?

> Since you use the word copied instead of burned, this would imply the use
> of packet writing software used to make the CR-R appear as a removable
> disc
> drive. First, this is the least reliable storage method, so I wouldn't
> keep
> my only copy this way. Second, it is the slowest format and could cause
> problems with playback. Better to burn a multisession disc.
> ----------
> Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ((E-Mail Removed))
> http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photog...ral/index.html

Ed Ruf

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 20:04:07 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Harriett Wright"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I use CD-R's primarily for backup, so I guess it's not really a big deal if
>I can't play a movie from one. But what you say about reliability worries
>me. Does that mean that data copied to a CD-R could be unstable? Would
>that include still pictures as well? Although the movies don't run smoothly
>when played from the CD-R, when I copy them back to my computer they play
>just fine, including the sound.

Packet writing, such that the disc is accessed like a big floppy drive
whereby you can just copy by dragging is much more susceptible to data loss
than actually burning sessions which can be read in any cd rom drive.
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at