Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > memory cards

memory cards

Jim

Wonder if you can tell me what the difference is between the MMC and the SD
memory cards in a camera.
Thanks.
Jim.

Sheldon

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Wonder if you can tell me what the difference is between the MMC and the
> SD memory cards in a camera.
> Thanks.
> Jim.

"A number of consumer portable device companies manufacture their products
with slot(s) supporting both MMC and SD formats. Beside price, the biggest
advantage of the MultiMediaCard standard -it was developed for all the
leading open systems platforms. This technology is an open standard
available to any company who wants to improve upon it or develop products
for it. This includes Linux and all other Unix variants. Linux companies
will easily be able to develop products for MMC cards. The SD standard was
developed essentially for the Microsoft Windows platform. Sometimes, to get
at the real difference between two competing standards, one must also view
the forces driving their adoption."

From http://www.memoryx.net/multimediacard.html

David J Taylor

Jim wrote:
> Wonder if you can tell me what the difference is between the MMC and
> the SD memory cards in a camera.
> Thanks.
> Jim.

SD is the more modern version of the MMC - cheaper, faster, and with
larger memory capacities:

http://www.sdcard.org/sd_memorycard/index.html

SD has a different number of contacts as well.

http://www.vivitar.com/Products/DigC...-MMCcards.html

Today, I would only recommend SD.

David

Ron Hunter

Sheldon wrote:
> "Jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Wonder if you can tell me what the difference is between the MMC and the
>>SD memory cards in a camera.
>>Thanks.
>>Jim.

> "A number of consumer portable device companies manufacture their products
> with slot(s) supporting both MMC and SD formats. Beside price, the biggest
> advantage of the MultiMediaCard standard -it was developed for all the
> leading open systems platforms. This technology is an open standard
> available to any company who wants to improve upon it or develop products
> for it. This includes Linux and all other Unix variants. Linux companies
> will easily be able to develop products for MMC cards. The SD standard was
> developed essentially for the Microsoft Windows platform. Sometimes, to get
> at the real difference between two competing standards, one must also view
> the forces driving their adoption."
>
> From http://www.memoryx.net/multimediacard.html

Perhaps that is why SD cards outnumber MMC cards by about 90:1. Grin.
Worse, they cost more, and are less, physically, robust, being somewhat
thinner. Their advantage is lack of DRM features.

--
Ron Hunter http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Jim

"David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
wrote in message newsIcoe.45038$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> Jim wrote:
>> Wonder if you can tell me what the difference is between the MMC and
>> the SD memory cards in a camera.
>> Thanks.
>> Jim.

> SD is the more modern version of the MMC - cheaper, faster, and with
> larger memory capacities:
>
> http://www.sdcard.org/sd_memorycard/index.html
>
> SD has a different number of contacts as well.
>
> http://www.vivitar.com/Products/DigC...-MMCcards.html
>
> Today, I would only recommend SD.
>
> David

Thanks to all who replied. I hadn't expected getting this much technical
info.
I had been trying to find out if there were any benefits to be had by using,
say a 256Mb SD card as against a 256Mb MMC card in my camera as they both
hold the same number of pictures and don't appear to have any different
quallity. Doe's faster speed come into it when using them in a camera.
The camera is a Konica Z10.
Jim