Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Date Stamp

Date Stamp

Dewey

Does anyone know a good program for adding date stamps to pix after
transfering to harddrive? My camera (exilim ex-p700) cannot date stamp at
time of capture. A program that can date stamp without
decompressing/recompressing jpegs would be ideal. Free would be good too.

Thanks.

Bucky

Dewey wrote:
> A program that can date stamp without
> decompressing/recompressing jpegs would be ideal.

I don't of know of any. Is it possible to alter a jpeg without
decompressing it? I kind of doubt it.

What's your usage for the date stamp? To view on the screen, or to
print out?

If you just want to see the date stamp when viewing on screen, then
just add the datestamp to the filename and use an image viewer that
shows the file name when viewing the images.

If you need it to print out, then you can use MS Paint or GIMP.

If you absolutely cannot lose resolution, you can save it as a PNG. Or
create the datestamp on a separate layer. It all depends on your
intended usage.

Joe Makowiec

On 01 Jun 2005 in rec.photo.digital, Dewey wrote:

> Does anyone know a good program for adding date stamps to pix after
> transfering to harddrive? My camera (exilim ex-p700) cannot date
> stamp at time of capture. A program that can date stamp without
> decompressing/recompressing jpegs would be ideal. Free would be good
> too.

If you're on Windows or Linux, you might look at jhead:

http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead/

I just used it to set file date/time stamps based on EXIF data. It's a
command-line utility, but not all that hard to use.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/

Vic

Dewey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Xns9668A2315BC91dewey3kNOSPAMgmailco@130.133. 1.4:

> Does anyone know a good program for adding date stamps to pix after
> transfering to harddrive? My camera (exilim ex-p700) cannot date stamp
> at time of capture. A program that can date stamp without
> decompressing/recompressing jpegs would be ideal. Free would be good
> too.
>
> Thanks.

Here is just what you need:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/jdatestamp/

Dewey

"Bucky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1117659075.685035.44340
@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Dewey wrote:
>> A program that can date stamp without
>> decompressing/recompressing jpegs would be ideal.

> I don't of know of any. Is it possible to alter a jpeg without
> decompressing it? I kind of doubt it.

There is actually.

> What's your usage for the date stamp? To view on the screen, or to
> print out?

For both preferably.

> If you just want to see the date stamp when viewing on screen, then
> just add the datestamp to the filename and use an image viewer that
> shows the file name when viewing the images.
>
> If you need it to print out, then you can use MS Paint or GIMP.
>
> If you absolutely cannot lose resolution, you can save it as a PNG. Or
> create the datestamp on a separate layer. It all depends on your
> intended usage.

Thanks

Dewey

Joe Makowiec <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Xns9668B26257AD5makowiecatnycapdotrE@24.24.2. 166:

> On 01 Jun 2005 in rec.photo.digital, Dewey wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know a good program for adding date stamps to pix after
>> transfering to harddrive? My camera (exilim ex-p700) cannot date
>> stamp at time of capture. A program that can date stamp without
>> decompressing/recompressing jpegs would be ideal. Free would be good
>> too.

> If you're on Windows or Linux, you might look at jhead:
>
> http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead/
>
> I just used it to set file date/time stamps based on EXIF data. It's a
> command-line utility, but not all that hard to use.

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Dewey

Vic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:Xns966985DA65685popweazel@
202.139.83.40:

> Dewey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:Xns9668A2315BC91dewey3kNOSPAMgmailco@130.133. 1.4:
>
>> Does anyone know a good program for adding date stamps to pix after
>> transfering to harddrive? My camera (exilim ex-p700) cannot date stamp
>> at time of capture. A program that can date stamp without
>> decompressing/recompressing jpegs would be ideal. Free would be good
>> too.
>>
>> Thanks.

> Here is just what you need:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/jdatestamp/

I'll try it, thanks.

Ron Hunter

Dewey wrote:
> Does anyone know a good program for adding date stamps to pix after
> transfering to harddrive? My camera (exilim ex-p700) cannot date stamp at
> time of capture. A program that can date stamp without
> decompressing/recompressing jpegs would be ideal. Free would be good too.
>
> Thanks.

You would paint a mustache on the mona lisa? PLEASE. Respect your
pictures. The place for time/date is in the EXIF file, NOT on the
picture. sigh.

--
Ron Hunter http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Dewey

Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:X%6oe.5470$(E-Mail Removed):

> Dewey wrote:
>> Does anyone know a good program for adding date stamps to pix after
>> transfering to harddrive? My camera (exilim ex-p700) cannot date
>> stamp at time of capture. A program that can date stamp without
>> decompressing/recompressing jpegs would be ideal. Free would be good
>> too.
>>
>> Thanks.

> You would paint a mustache on the mona lisa? PLEASE. Respect your
> pictures. The place for time/date is in the EXIF file, NOT on the
> picture. sigh.

Bad analogy. da Vinci did, after all, sign the painting, no?