Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Just when you thought Big Brother couldn't get any bigger...

Just when you thought Big Brother couldn't get any bigger...

Rick

http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=4915

Intel quietly adds DRM to new chips
Friday 27 May 2005 - 11:02

Microsoft and the entertainment industry's holy grail of controlling
copyright through the motherboard has moved a step closer with
Intel Corp. now embedding digital rights management within in its
latest dual-core processor Pentium D and accompanying 945
chipset.

Officially launched worldwide on May 26, the new offerings come
DRM-enabled and will, at least in theory, allow copyright holders
to prevent unauthorized copying and distribution of copyrighted
materials from the motherboard rather than through the operating
system as is currently the case.

While Intel steered clear of mentioning the new DRM technology
at its Australian launch of the new products, Intel's Australian
technical manager Graham Tucker publicly confirmed Microsoft-
flavored DRM technology will be a feature of Pentium D and 945.

"[The] 945g [chipset] supports DRM, it helps implement Microsoft's
DRM ... but it supports DRM looking forward," Tucker said, adding
the DRM technology would not be able to be applied retrospectively
to media or files that did not interoperate with the new technology.

However, Tucker ducked questions regarding technical details of
how embedded DRM would work saying it was not in the interests
of his company to spell out how the technology in the interests of
security.

The situation presents an interesting dilemma for IT security managers
as they may now be beholden to hardware-embedded security over
which they have little say, information or control.

Conversely, Intel is heavily promoting what it calls "active management
technology" (AMT) in the new chips as a major plus for system
administrators and enterprise IT. Understood to be a sub-operating
system residing in the chip's firmware, AMT will allow administrators
to both monitor or control individual machines independent of an
operating system.

Additionally, AMT also features what Intel calls "IDE redirection"
which will allow administrators to remotely enable, disable or format
or configure individual drives and reload operating systems and
software from remote locations, again independent of operating
systems. Both AMT and IDE control are enabled by a new network
interface controller.

"We all know our [operating system] friends don't crash that often,
but it does happen," Tucker said.

Intel's reticence to speak publicly about what lies under the hood
of its latest firmware technology has also prompted calls to come
clean from IT security experts, including Queensland University of
Technology's assistant dean for strategy and innovation, IT faculty,
Bill Caelli.

"It's a dual use technology. It's got uses and misuses. Intel has to
answer what guarantees it is prepared to give that home users are
safe from hackers. Not maybes, guarantees".

Caelli said it was "critical Intel comes clean" about how the current
DRM technology is embedded into the new CPU and chipset
offering.

Microsoft was unavailable for comment at press time.

Julian Bajkowski

Tarkus

On 6/1/2005 12:56:18 PM, Rick wrote:

> http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=4915
>
> Intel quietly adds DRM to new chips

AMD must be wetting themselves with excitement over this.
--
"I stayed up all night playing poker with tarot cards. I got a full
house and four people died." - Steven Wright

Now playing: the radio.

AustinMN

Rick wrote:
> http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=4915
>
> Intel quietly adds DRM to new chips
> Friday 27 May 2005 - 11:02

<snip>
> Additionally, AMT also features what Intel calls "IDE redirection"
> which will allow administrators to **remotely enable, disable or format
> or configure individual drives** and reload operating systems and
> software from remote locations, again independent of operating
> systems. Both AMT and IDE control are enabled by a new network
> interface controller.

<snip>

I can see now the hackers and virus creators gleefully looking at ways
to take advantage of that...and because it is operating system
independent, typical virus software can be ignored. Go home, it's
Windows. Return in the morning, it's Linux.

Austin

AllEmailDeletedImmediately

news:Cpone.14004$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=4915
>
> The situation presents an interesting dilemma for IT security managers
> as they may now be beholden to hardware-embedded security over
> which they have little say, information or control.

> Conversely, Intel is heavily promoting what it calls "active management
> technology" (AMT) in the new chips as a major plus for system
> administrators and enterprise IT. Understood to be a sub-operating
> system residing in the chip's firmware, AMT will allow administrators
> to both monitor or control individual machines independent of an
> operating system.

are these ms company admins or end user company admins?

> Additionally, AMT also features what Intel calls "IDE redirection"
> which will allow administrators to remotely enable, disable or format
> or configure individual drives and reload operating systems and
> software from remote locations, again independent of operating
> systems. Both AMT and IDE control are enabled by a new network
> interface controller.

are these ms company admins or end user company admins?

Mark

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 13:39:11 -0700, Tarkus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 6/1/2005 12:56:18 PM, Rick wrote:
>
>> http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=4915
>>
>> Intel quietly adds DRM to new chips

>AMD must be wetting themselves with excitement over this.

Oh, how I hope so.

I'll gladly purchase AMD processors going forward if this "feature" is
implemented by Intel & Micro$oft.

And if AMD is to jump on board, I'll gladly jump over to the new guy after
that. There will always be someone.

Rick

"AllEmailDeletedImmediately" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:3gpne.8562$(E-Mail Removed)...

> news:Cpone.14004$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> > http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=4915
> >
> > The situation presents an interesting dilemma for IT security managers
> > as they may now be beholden to hardware-embedded security over
> > which they have little say, information or control.

> > Conversely, Intel is heavily promoting what it calls "active management
> > technology" (AMT) in the new chips as a major plus for system
> > administrators and enterprise IT. Understood to be a sub-operating
> > system residing in the chip's firmware, AMT will allow administrators
> > to both monitor or control individual machines independent of an
> > operating system.

> are these ms company admins or end user company admins?

It'll almost certainly be marketed as the latter, although without
full documentation no one except a world full of hackers will
know what exploits are possible.

> > Additionally, AMT also features what Intel calls "IDE redirection"
> > which will allow administrators to remotely enable, disable or format
> > or configure individual drives and reload operating systems and
> > software from remote locations, again independent of operating
> > systems. Both AMT and IDE control are enabled by a new network
> > interface controller.

> are these ms company admins or end user company admins?

See above.

Dave

"Tarkus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)9.com...
> On 6/1/2005 12:56:18 PM, Rick wrote:
>
>> http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=4915
>>
>> Intel quietly adds DRM to new chips

> AMD must be wetting themselves with excitement over this.

Well, I know where my money is going from now on. Considering I build or
influence hardware purchases for dozens of systems each year, Intel just
lost a lot of money from me alone. -Dave

Unclaimed Mysteries

AustinMN wrote in part:

> I can see now the hackers and virus creators gleefully looking at ways
> to take advantage of that...and because it is operating system
> independent, typical virus software can be ignored. Go home, it's
> Windows. Return in the morning, it's Linux.

Just what are you implying with that example?

http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net

Randall Ainsworth

In article <gKwne.12770$(E-Mail Removed) .net>,
Unclaimed Mysteries
<theletter_k_andthenumeral_4_doh@unclaimedmysterie s.net> wrote:

> > I can see now the hackers and virus creators gleefully looking at ways
> > to take advantage of that...and because it is operating system
> > independent, typical virus software can be ignored. Go home, it's
> > Windows. Return in the morning, it's Linux.

Another Penguin loser...

Unclaimed Mysteries

Randall Ainsworth wrote:

> In article <gKwne.12770$(E-Mail Removed) .net>,
> Unclaimed Mysteries
> <theletter_k_andthenumeral_4_doh@unclaimedmysterie s.net> wrote:
>

>>>I can see now the hackers and virus creators gleefully looking at ways
>>>to take advantage of that...and because it is operating system
>>>independent, typical virus software can be ignored. Go home, it's
>>>Windows. Return in the morning, it's Linux.

> Another Penguin loser...

Sheep. Also, try imroving your quoting skills. HTH HAND

http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net