Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > RE: Lens Petal Hoods - Reasons ?

RE: Lens Petal Hoods - Reasons ?

Bernard Rother

Was wondering if there was a specific reason why manufacturers design a
new lens hoods ( Sigma 18-125 in my case )with a petal shape. I know I
find it easier to remove the cap and rotate the polariser ( only just,
with an index finger ), not ideal but I can do it. Taking the cap off
and rotating the polariser on the Tamron 75-300 with the "tube" like
hood is impossible.
Bernard.

Ace

The coverage pattern of the lens is such that a "straight" hood would
do some vignetting at the corners of the exposure.

Bob AZ

Paul Furman

Bernard Rother wrote:

> Was wondering if there was a specific reason why manufacturers design a
> new lens hoods ( Sigma 18-125 in my case )with a petal shape.

I assume the cutouts in the corners minimize vignetting.

> I know I
> find it easier to remove the cap and rotate the polariser ( only just,
> with an index finger ), not ideal but I can do it. Taking the cap off
> and rotating the polariser on the Tamron 75-300 with the "tube" like
> hood is impossible.

Is that one non-internal focusing (front of lens rotates)?

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1

Bernard Rother

Paul Furman wrote:

> Bernard Rother wrote:
>
>> Was wondering if there was a specific reason why manufacturers design
>> a new lens hoods ( Sigma 18-125 in my case )with a petal shape.

> I assume the cutouts in the corners minimize vignetting.
>

>> I know I find it easier to remove the cap and rotate the polariser (
>> only just, with an index finger ), not ideal but I can do it. Taking
>> the cap off and rotating the polariser on the Tamron 75-300 with the
>> "tube" like hood is impossible.

> Is that one non-internal focusing (front of lens rotates)?

Internal focusing .... nice for the polariser. Just got the lens
yesterday and am more than happy with it. Gotta admit ... it looks cute
on the D70.

Bart van der Wolf

"Paul Furman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bernard Rother wrote:
>
>> Was wondering if there was a specific reason why manufacturers
>> design a new lens hoods ( Sigma 18-125 in my case )with a petal
>> shape.

> I assume the cutouts in the corners minimize vignetting.

The main reason is that it allows to make a deeper (=more effective)
hood, without vignetting.

Bart

george

"Bart van der Wolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:429d90aa$0$10838$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl...

> "Paul Furman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Bernard Rother wrote:
>>
>>> Was wondering if there was a specific reason why manufacturers design a
>>> new lens hoods ( Sigma 18-125 in my case )with a petal shape.

>> I assume the cutouts in the corners minimize vignetting.

> The main reason is that it allows to make a deeper (=more effective) hood,
> without vignetting.

AND with a smaller overall diameter of the hood.

> Bart

Petal Shaped Lens Hoods Ed Digital Photography 26 03-19-2007 04:53 PM
Can you go lens... then Circular Polarizer Fitler... then "Petal" type hood? Ryan Bygland Digital Photography 14 01-14-2007 08:32 PM
petal hoods NC Digital Photography 11 06-08-2005 04:01 PM
25 Reasons to Aviod the SD-10 (was 15 Reasons to Aviod the SD-10) Steven M. Scharf Digital Photography 823 07-02-2004 12:55 PM
Time for a new range of lens hoods? Alan F Cross Digital Photography 0 08-04-2003 01:41 PM

Advertisments