Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n and DCS Pro SLR/c digital SLRs have been discontinued...

Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n and DCS Pro SLR/c digital SLRs have been discontinued...

Newsgroups

Hmmm....

Tuesday, 31 May 2005 16:10 GMT

Kodak has today confirmed that the DCS Pro SLR/n and DCS Pro SLR/c digital
SLRs have been discontinued and will no longer be manufactured. Kodak
assures that existing owners will continue to be supported through 2008 and
that this will include firmware and Photodesk updates if required.

Kodak will continue to develop CCD and CMOS image sensors and this
announcement does not affect their consumer digital cameras. Kodak was keen
to stress that this does not mark the end of Kodak digital SLR's but that
they wished to concentrate on market segments which are more profitable.

Paul Rubin

"Newsgroups" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Kodak has today confirmed that the DCS Pro SLR/n and DCS Pro SLR/c digital
> SLRs have been discontinued and will no longer be manufactured. Kodak
> assures that existing owners will continue to be supported through 2008 and
> that this will include firmware and Photodesk updates if required.

These cameras were about $4500 when introduced and there was a $1000
price reduction or rebate towards the end. I don't know if there were
dealer discounts in addition to that. Maybe they'll get even less
expensive now that they're discontinued, or maybe not. If there were
$500 in discounts to begin with and another $500 drop from the camera
being discontinued, that's $2500 for a 14 megapixel camera, which is
somewhat interesting even if it's a studio-only camera. I don't think
you can get an MF scanning back without spending a lot more.

ASAAR

On 31 May 2005 18:42:05 -0700, Paul Rubin
<http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> that's $2500 for a 14 megapixel camera, which is
> somewhat interesting even if it's a studio-only camera.

The version introduced in 2002, the DCS 14/n was the one that was
of little use outside of the studio. The DCS Pro SLR/n and DCS Pro
SLR/c used a different sensor that wasn't nearly as limiting. One
review I've read indicated that "the new model's output remains
excellent at 200", "at ISO 400, some chroma noise creeps into the
shadows", and "I'd only shoot at 800 if forced." It's still not the
fastest kit on the block, but can be taken outside when it behaves.