Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Infrared photography

Infrared photography

Gisle Hannemyr

"rick white via PhotoKB.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I'm almost ready to go now. You mentioned Photoshop CS and
> Elements. I've checked the price of CS and it s way over my budget.
> Elements is around the 70 mark, would it give me everything I m
> likely to need for b/w infrared and also colour???

I'm not familiar with PS Elements, so I am probably not the
right one to answer this.

PS Elements has a function to turn colour into monochrome, which is
one of the things you need, and it also has a function to adjust
brightness and contrast, which is another thing you will need.
So I guess you can manage with PS Elements.

What is missing in PS Elements is the channel mixer and curves
adjustments. The channel mixer is used for more control when
converting into monochrome, and for fake colour IR photography.
The curves adjustment is very handy for getting that extra zing
out of the IR highlights.

There si a free 30 day trial period for both Elements and
CS2 - so you can try them out and find out if its good enough
for your needs before you have to pay for anything.

rick white via PhotoKB.com

Thanks Gisle,

How technical it all sounds for a happy snapper such as me. Do i still
need a decent photo programme for b/w infrared or just for the colour ??

Gisle Hannemyr wrote:
>> I'm almost ready to go now. You mentioned Photoshop CS and
>> Elements. I've checked the price of CS and it s way over my budget.
>> Elements is around the 70 mark, would it give me everything I m
>> likely to need for b/w infrared and also colour???

>I'm not familiar with PS Elements, so I am probably not the
>right one to answer this.
>
>PS Elements has a function to turn colour into monochrome, which is
>one of the things you need, and it also has a function to adjust
>brightness and contrast, which is another thing you will need.
>So I guess you can manage with PS Elements.
>
>What is missing in PS Elements is the channel mixer and curves
>adjustments. The channel mixer is used for more control when
>converting into monochrome, and for fake colour IR photography.
>The curves adjustment is very handy for getting that extra zing
>out of the IR highlights.
>
>There si a free 30 day trial period for both Elements and
>CS2 - so you can try them out and find out if its good enough
>for your needs before you have to pay for anything.

Gisle Hannemyr

"rick white via PhotoKB.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> How technical it all sounds for a happy snapper such as me. Do i
> still need a decent photo programme for b/w infrared or just for the
> colour ??

The images produced by your camera with the infrared filter in
place will probably be very flat and lacking in contrast. To
get them converted into something pleasing, you need to do
some post-processing. This goes for b&w as well as colour.

clw

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Gisle Hannemyr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "rick white via PhotoKB.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > How technical it all sounds for a happy snapper such as me. Do i
> > still need a decent photo programme for b/w infrared or just for the
> > colour ??

> The images produced by your camera with the infrared filter in
> place will probably be very flat and lacking in contrast. To
> get them converted into something pleasing, you need to do
> some post-processing. This goes for b&w as well as colour.

If you do not want "flat and lacking in contrast" pictures, do not shoot
in IR.

ecm

rick white via PhotoKB.com wrote:
> Hi Gisle,
>
> I m almost ready to go now. You mentioned Photoshop CS and Elements.. I
> ve checked the price of CS and it s way over my budget. Elements is around
> the 70 mark, would it give me everything I m likely to need for b/w infrared
> and also colour???
>
> Rick

Check out GIMP 2 - it's freeware, and it has most of the important
functions of Photoshop. I use it to adjust levels and curves all the
time; it's much more stable than the original 1.X versions now, and
it's quite usable. It's a little bit harder to learn and use than PS,
but that's what you're not paying for.....

Windows binaries(ie., compiled, ready to install program):
http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/

Unix/Linix binaries:
http://www.gimp.org/unix/
(but you'd be better off compiling the source for your particular
flavor)

MacOSX binaries:
http://www.gimp.org/macintosh/

GIMP documentation:
http://www.gimp.org/docs/

Source code:
http://www.gimp.org/source/

ECM

rick white via PhotoKB.com

Hi Everybody,

I ve just taken my first few i/r shots today. As you may recall my
camera is a plain n simple point n shoot Olympus C-350 Z with hardly any
means of manual control. My method was very basic and unprofessional but I m
really quite pleased for a first crack at it even though not to the standard
of some of you guys n gals. I sat the camera on the tripod and set it to
timer to avoid touching it any more than necessary as I had to hold the Hoya
R72 filter carefully against the lens with finger and thumb. There are no
facilities for a lens adaptor I m afraid. Conditions were very hot, bright
sunlight with occassional clouds. I transferred the images onto my PC and
worked them around a bit in PICASSA 2. I have a free trial download of
ELEMENTS which I tried on one image but to be honest I didn t really find I
could get any better result ( Yes probably due to my lack of experience). I
would also like to thank everybody who has been generous with their help and
sorry to any messages I havn t answered directly, so much to take you
understand.

If you d like to see my photos go to
http://photos.yahoo.com/rickhist

I d appreciate any critisism and suggestions for improvement.

Rick

nk wrote:
>Rick,
>Check out this web site. It is very informative on how to do Infrared Photography.
>
>Nath
>
>http://dpfwiw.com/ir.htm
>
>> I m very interested in getting infrared effect from my photos but I can t
>> yet afford to splash out on a SLR camera. My current digi cam is an

>[quoted text clipped - 7 lines]
>>
>> Rick

Frank ess

rick white via PhotoKB.com wrote:
> Hi Everybody,
>
> I ve just taken my first few i/r shots today. As you may
> recall my camera is a plain n simple point n shoot Olympus C-350 Z
> with hardly any means of manual control. My method was very basic
> and unprofessional but I m really quite pleased for a first crack at
> it even though not to the standard of some of you guys n gals. I
> sat
> the camera on the tripod and set it to timer to avoid touching it
> any
> more than necessary as I had to hold the Hoya R72 filter carefully
> against the lens with finger and thumb. There are no facilities for
> a lens adaptor I m afraid. Conditions were very hot, bright
> sunlight
> with occassional clouds. I transferred the images onto my PC and
> worked them around a bit in PICASSA 2. I have a free trial download
> of ELEMENTS which I tried on one image but to be honest I didn t
> really find I could get any better result ( Yes probably due to my
> lack of experience). I would also like to thank everybody who has
> been generous with their help and sorry to any messages I havn t
> answered directly, so much to take you understand.
>
> If you d like to see my photos go to
> http://photos.yahoo.com/rickhist
>
> I d appreciate any critisism and suggestions for improvement.

I think the muted effect is very appropriate for the subject.

High-contrast Infra Red is seductive, and it seems to me much of what
is displayed overdoes it in that direction. The IR "medium", less
pervasive than color or monochrome, has a tendency to overwhelm
content on first viewing. Your images are very inviting of scrutiny.

Thank you for the opportunity.

--
Frank ess

rick white via PhotoKB.com

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your comments, most welcome. I need a great deal of practice
at this to improve but practice a will.

Rick

Frank ess wrote:
>> Hi Everybody,
>>

>[quoted text clipped - 22 lines]
>>
>> I d appreciate any critisism and suggestions for improvement.

>I think the muted effect is very appropriate for the subject.
>
>High-contrast Infra Red is seductive, and it seems to me much of what
>is displayed overdoes it in that direction. The IR "medium", less
>pervasive than color or monochrome, has a tendency to overwhelm
>content on first viewing. Your images are very inviting of scrutiny.
>
>Thank you for the opportunity.

Gisle Hannemyr

"rick white via PhotoKB.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I transferred the images onto my PC and worked them around a bit in
> PICASSA 2. I have a free trial download of ELEMENTS which I tried
> on one image but to be honest I didn't really find I could get any
> better result (Yes probably due to my lack of experience).
>
> If you d like to see my photos go to
> http://photos.yahoo.com/rickhist
>
> I'd appreciate any critisism and suggestions for improvement.

Very nice!

Some may like the muted effect of the images as they are, but
I think they might need a little more contrast.

One suggestion:
Load the images into Elements and select: Enhance->Auto Levels.

It would be nice to know the exposure data (Aperture, Exposure
time, ISO setting). They should be in the EXIF of the original
files.

Matti Vuori

"rick white via PhotoKB.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):
> I have a free trial download of
> ELEMENTS which I tried on one image but to be honest I didn t really
> find I could get any better result

If you haven't yet bought Elements, you might want to consider PaintShop
Pro. It has a very good noise removal function, which would make especially
the skies much cleaner and tremendously improve the photographs.

--
Matti Vuori, <http://sivut.koti.soon.fi/mvuori/index-e.htm>