Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Should I erase my memory card after every download?

Should I erase my memory card after every download?

Confused

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 19:52:47 GMT
In message <jmone.90064$(E-Mail Removed)>
"Mr. Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The number of frames changes based on the last photo taken.
> <SNIP>

I never had a problem with my F717... with all cameras,
film or digital, not keeping track of the end of roll,
will cause down time to rewind/change media.

Jeff

ASAAR

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 09:01:30 -0700, Frank ess wrote:

> I have low tolerance for, and little patience with, players of "Yes,
> but ... "
>

> If by now you aren't satisfied you've made your point, the
> dragging-out of this thread is low and mean.

He's long passed that point. It's a shame that he hasn't
crossposted into the political and religious newsgroups, for they
appear to be provide a much better fit for his style of zealotry.

Mr. Mark

> I never had a problem with my F717...

You're the first person I've encountered that didn't. Seriously. I've
known 6 people with 717's and all 6 had to send to service more than once.
All of us have sworn off all Sony products for good. Consider yourself
lucky.

--
Mark

Photos, Ideas & Opinions
http://www.marklauter.com

Mr. Mark

> > If by now you aren't satisfied you've made your point, the
> > dragging-out of this thread is low and mean.

> He's long passed that point. It's a shame that he hasn't
> crossposted into the political and religious newsgroups, for they
> appear to be provide a much better fit for his style of zealotry.

It's not zealotry. I didn't say film was better or digital was better. I
said the only advantage to digital is that it isn't film. But maybe this
group's reading comprehension isn't as sophisticated as the
digital.slr-systems group.

--
Mark

Photos, Ideas & Opinions
http://www.marklauter.com

Colin D

"Mr. Mark" wrote:

> This isn't a war of digital vs. film - it is a challenge for someone to come
> up with an advantage of digital that isn't directly related to the lack of
> film in the process.

Your question/challenge is very clever, Mark. Any advantages system B
might have over system A is because it *is* related to system A. An
advantage over system A can only be that if system B is related to
system A. There has to be a relationship or there is no comparison. My
motor-cycle can be compared to your truck because they are both means of
transport. Your truck can't be compared to my dishwasher because there
is no relativity. Since your film camera is related to my digital
camera - they both take pictures - relativity exists.

However, - and some have made these points already - here are some that
I consider are advantages of digital cameras over film cameras *because*
of the lack of film:

1. The ability to change ISO values from shot to shot. Film cannot do
this.
2. The ability to check an image immediately after exposure. Pro's use
Polaroid to check shots, so it's clearly important to be able to do so.
3. The ability to shoot dozens, hundreds even, without reloading. Some
film cameras have 250-exposure backs to circumvent the 24/36 exp limits
of film, so clearly being able to shoot a large number without reloading
is important.
4. It is much quicker to change cards than film, and you don't need to
seek shade to do it.
5. Cards are more robust than film. There are instances of cameras
being destroyed but the cards with the images have survived. A photog
was killed in the collapse of the WTC in New York. They found his
camera, completely destroyed in the mass of debris that buried it and
him. The card was readable, and yielded graphic images of the
collapse that would never have been seen if it were film.
6. Camera size. Not having to accommodate a cassette and winding
mechanism allows compact cameras to be much smaller and lighter than any
35mm camera.

There are more, but I have made the point.

BTW, all this is not to say film is not good. It merely says that
digital is more versatile.

How about we turn your challenge around, and you tell us any advantage
film has that isn't directly related to not being digital?

Colin

James Of Tucson

> I said the only advantage to digital is that it isn't film.

I doubt that comes across to others as quite the ingenious insight that
you mean it to be.

James Of Tucson

"A photog was killed in the collapse of the WTC in New York. They
found his camera, completely destroyed in the mass of debris that
buried it and him."

Do you have more information on this? I would really like to see them.

ASAAR

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 04:33:52 GMT, Mr. Mark wrote:

>> He's long passed that point. It's a shame that he hasn't
>> crossposted into the political and religious newsgroups, for they
>> appear to be provide a much better fit for his style of zealotry.

> It's not zealotry. I didn't say film was better or digital was better. I
> said the only advantage to digital is that it isn't film. But maybe this
> group's reading comprehension isn't as sophisticated as the
> digital.slr-systems group.

Anyone that says anything possible to support their positions,
particularly when it becomes indefensible needs to have a good
recollection of what they're previously said. You may not have said
that film was better than digital, but you clearly implied either a
preference for film or some kind of vague superiority owned by film
when you replied less than 24 hours ago to "Confused" in this thread
with the following:

>> That's it! I'm going to switch to film!

> Except for the cost, you'd probably be happier.

And there are plenty of photographers still using and preferring
film that wouldn't ever be confused for zealots. As far as
comprehension and sophistication are concerned, you really need more
to keep from coming up with such a lame question. It's essentially
asking for a way for digital imaging to be considered better than
film when all digital advantages are not allowed to be considered.
Of course what remains can be duplicated by film cameras if
manufacturers think the features are worthwhile, but it's an
inherently silly question. You might just as easily have asked "Is
it possible for any non-digital feature usable by both film cameras
and digital cameras to be used more advantageously by digital
cameras?". Whether there are or aren't, based only on your
followups in this thread you're clearly not the kind of person that
can be relied on for an interesting, meaningful discussion.

Colin D

James Of Tucson wrote:

> "A photog was killed in the collapse of the WTC in New York. They
> found his camera, completely destroyed in the mass of debris that
> buried it and him."
>
> Do you have more information on this? I would really like to see them.

Try this link:

http://www.skfriends.com/wtc-biggart-album.htm

Colin

Mr. Mark

> > I said the only advantage to digital is that it isn't film.
>
> I doubt that comes across to others as quite the ingenious insight that
> you mean it to be.

It's a very subtle zen like statement.

--
Mark

Photos, Ideas & Opinions
http://www.marklauter.com

Program to ERASE EVERY THING on hard drive Shirley Azvedo Computer Support 9 06-18-2006 01:04 AM
erase vs. erase al.cpwn@gmail.com C++ 7 03-30-2006 11:45 AM
How do i erase all information in my orkut and erase the link to the orkut account? mountbatten@gmail.com Computer Support 1 10-31-2005 12:03 AM
Erase/reformat SD memory card? TD Digital Photography 5 12-08-2003 09:18 PM
How do I erase a file that wont let me erase it? Dale Custer Computer Support 4 07-06-2003 09:48 AM

Advertisments