Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > increasing the DPI

increasing the DPI

Beck

I am not technical when it comes to digital imagery.

I am using an Olympus C720 to take pictures for a local voluntary newspaper.
The pictures are coming out at 72dpi and the printers would like bigger if
possible, up to 300dpi.

But this all means nothing to me and I am unsure whether I can change the
dpi.
Id there anything I can do to increase the dpi or is that set in the camera
and cannot be changed?

Musty

"Beck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am not technical when it comes to digital imagery.
>
> I am using an Olympus C720 to take pictures for a local voluntary

newspaper.
> The pictures are coming out at 72dpi and the printers would like bigger if
> possible, up to 300dpi.
>
> But this all means nothing to me and I am unsure whether I can change the
> dpi.
> Id there anything I can do to increase the dpi or is that set in the

camera
> and cannot be changed?

Do you mean ppi? (pixels per inch)

It can be done in software such as Photoshop (under Image->Image Size).
Increasing the ppi will reduce the printing dimensions, but the print will
be higher resolution.

The Oly C720 is 3MP with a max resolution of 1984 x 1488. If you set your
images to 300ppi, that means the biggest print you could do (to maintain
this ppi) would be 6.61" x 4.96" (1984/300 by 1488/300). Typically this
camera is good for 6x4 prints @ 300ppi.

If you are printing 8x10, you have to use a lower ppi.

Thanks
Musty.

Beck

Musty wrote:

> Do you mean ppi? (pixels per inch)
>
> It can be done in software such as Photoshop (under Image->Image
> Size). Increasing the ppi will reduce the printing dimensions, but
> the print will be higher resolution.
>
> The Oly C720 is 3MP with a max resolution of 1984 x 1488. If you set
> your images to 300ppi, that means the biggest print you could do (to
> maintain this ppi) would be 6.61" x 4.96" (1984/300 by 1488/300).
> Typically this camera is good for 6x4 prints @ 300ppi.
>
> If you are printing 8x10, you have to use a lower ppi.

Thanks for the quick reply. Is there somewhere in the camera where I can
set it to 300ppi? I am sorry for the silly questions but I haven't a clue
about all this. I have looked around the camera and obviously know how to
change the picture resolutions, but can see nothing relating to ppi.

Don Stauffer

Beck wrote:
> I am not technical when it comes to digital imagery.
>
> I am using an Olympus C720 to take pictures for a local voluntary newspaper.
> The pictures are coming out at 72dpi and the printers would like bigger if
> possible, up to 300dpi.
>
> But this all means nothing to me and I am unsure whether I can change the
> dpi.
> Id there anything I can do to increase the dpi or is that set in the camera
> and cannot be changed?

It is set in the camera, but the dpi set in the camera is not useful for
anything anyway. You need photo editing software. Virtually any, even
cheapest, software has this capability. Did the camera come with no
such software? Check with your local computer or electronics store.

This is a critical area for good results, so I'd suggest you pick up a
good book on digital photography and become very familiar with pixels,
pixels per inch, resizing, upsampling, etc.

Gene Palmiter

Your camera takes pixels...it doesn't give a fig about inches. If you put a
1000^2 photo in a layout program it puts in 1000^2 pixels. Is the printer
doing the layout? If so they are not too bright. If the layout is done and
sent to the printer the layout person is doing something wrong. But, to make
peace and to avoid having to teach the whole world you can just load the
image into any editor and change the resolution without interpolating. That
will not change the number of pixels but will show a different number.

If we have yet to help its because important information is missing. We
could help more if we knew what image editor and layout program you are
using. Is the layout done at the printer? Are there pdfs involved?

"Beck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am not technical when it comes to digital imagery.
>
> I am using an Olympus C720 to take pictures for a local voluntary

newspaper.
> The pictures are coming out at 72dpi and the printers would like bigger if
> possible, up to 300dpi.
>
> But this all means nothing to me and I am unsure whether I can change the
> dpi.
> Id there anything I can do to increase the dpi or is that set in the

camera
> and cannot be changed?

Mr. Mark

> I am using an Olympus C720 to take pictures for a local voluntary
newspaper.
> The pictures are coming out at 72dpi and the printers would like bigger if
> possible, up to 300dpi.

My advice is to find a printer that has a clue.

--
Mark

Photos, Ideas & Opinions
http://www.marklauter.com

Jim

"Beck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am not technical when it comes to digital imagery.
>
> I am using an Olympus C720 to take pictures for a local voluntary

newspaper.
> The pictures are coming out at 72dpi and the printers would like bigger if
> possible, up to 300dpi.

They are not very expert printers then.

> But this all means nothing to me and I am unsure whether I can change the
> dpi.
> Id there anything I can do to increase the dpi or is that set in the

camera
> and cannot be changed?

An image processing program change change the dpi. It is merely a scale
factor.
Jim

Alan Meyer

Beck wrote:

> Is there anything I can do to increase the dpi

Others have already explained (tersely) the issues.

There is a free program called IrfanView that will do what
you want. Search for it in Google and download it from the
Irfanview site. There are two files to download, the viewer
and the plugins collection.

Irfanview will change the DPI of an image for you, or
will change the DPI of all images in a directory.

There are several ways to do it. You can load an image,
type "I" to get the image properties, and set the DPI
right there. Or you can click Image, Resize/Resample,
and set it there. Or you can click File/Batch Conversion,
click Advanced options, and set the DPI there for all
images in a directory. If you do images one at a time
you have to remember to Save the image after setting the
DPI.

The printers should be able to handle this without your
doing this, but I know it's sometimes easier to do the
work yourself rather than argue with them.

Alan

JPS@no.komm

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Beck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Musty wrote:
>
>> Do you mean ppi? (pixels per inch)
>>
>> It can be done in software such as Photoshop (under Image->Image
>> Size). Increasing the ppi will reduce the printing dimensions, but
>> the print will be higher resolution.
>>
>> The Oly C720 is 3MP with a max resolution of 1984 x 1488. If you set
>> your images to 300ppi, that means the biggest print you could do (to
>> maintain this ppi) would be 6.61" x 4.96" (1984/300 by 1488/300).
>> Typically this camera is good for 6x4 prints @ 300ppi.
>>
>> If you are printing 8x10, you have to use a lower ppi.

>Thanks for the quick reply. Is there somewhere in the camera where I can
>set it to 300ppi?

No.

>I am sorry for the silly questions but I haven't a clue
>about all this. I have looked around the camera and obviously know how to
>change the picture resolutions, but can see nothing relating to ppi.

These numbers mean absolutely *NOTHING*, unless you tell the program to
print, without telling it what size to print at; in that case, it will
determine the output size based on the PPI figure. The image itself
does not have a PPI; it is only an instruction as to how many of the
pixels of the file to print at in the space of an inch; you can print at
any size you want and ignore the PPI.

--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>

chrlz@go.com

> I am using an Olympus C720 to take pictures for a local voluntary
> newspaper. The pictures are coming out at 72dpi and the printers
> would like bigger if possible, up to 300dpi.

*Provided* you are shooting at the highest no of pixels that the camera
can supply, the fact that they are tagged with a 72dpi resolution
indicator (and that is all it is, just a little indicator tag on the
file) is completely irrelevant. In the interests of better education,
you should tell them to learn a few basic facts, and simply change the
flaming dpi tag themselves!

The only important thing in an image file is the number of pixels it
contains (let's forget color depth!). So if your image file contains
1984x1488 pixels it can be used to print a 6x4 at ~300dpi, a 7x5 at
~280 dpi, an 11x8 at ~180dpi, and I could go on ad infinitum.. All
from EXACTLY the same file - simply by telling the printing software
how big you wish to display it (ie simply by changing that little 'dpi
tag'.) - the file itself is unchanged.

Now, given that it is THEM who are determining how big they want to
print or display the file, it should be THEM who should be doing this.
If they don't know how, they are sadly incompetent. If that's the
case, then yes, you could simply change that tag for them in almost any
image editor or browser.

But are you sure they are not telling you that your files are too small
for what they want to print? I sincerely doubt this if it is just a
local newsrag, but maybe they want to print a really high quality image
at 300 dpi for a full double-page spread (O;, and you haven't given
them a large enough file...

If *that*'s the problem, you have only two options - either buy a
higher resolution camera, or *resample* the file in an image editor to
create more pixels, and hope they don't notice that you cheated..

Hope this helps.