Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Sigma 55-200mm f/4-5.6 DC Lens

Sigma 55-200mm f/4-5.6 DC Lens

Stephen Manaton

Has anyone used this lens on a Nikon D70,and what have the results been
like,i have found this lens on the web for 107.Your views on this lens are
most welcome cheers Stephen.

Pete D

"Stephen Manaton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d6vva3$of2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Has anyone used this lens on a Nikon D70,and what have the results been
> like,i have found this lens on the web for 107.Your views on this lens
> are
> most welcome cheers Stephen.

Stephen,

That is the same lens that is bundled with many of the dual lens kits, it
okay but can be a little soft wide open, that said it is quite reasonable
for a cheap lens. I personally taken some good shots with mine on a Pentax
*ist DS. Personally I would look at the 70-300mm APO for a little more,
little bit better quality and a bit better reach with the 300mm.

Cheers.

Stacey

Stephen Manaton wrote:

> Has anyone used this lens on a Nikon D70,and what have the results been
> like,i have found this lens on the web for 107.Your views on this lens
> are most welcome cheers Stephen.

The results I've seen from this lens used on a 4/3 camera is: it's not very
good wide open and it's also pretty soft at 200mm. From 55-150mm it
performs pretty good down a stop or two. For reference it's not as good as
either of the zuikos in this range, even the 40-150 "kit" lens, but is also
cheaper... For the price it's a pretty good lens.
--

Stacey

birdman

One wonders if this lens is the basis of the forthcoming Nikon 55-200 zoom?

Pete D

"Stacey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Stephen Manaton wrote:
>
>> Has anyone used this lens on a Nikon D70,and what have the results been
>> like,i have found this lens on the web for 107.Your views on this lens
>> are most welcome cheers Stephen.

> The results I've seen from this lens used on a 4/3 camera is: it's not
> very
> good wide open and it's also pretty soft at 200mm. From 55-150mm it
> performs pretty good down a stop or two. For reference it's not as good as
> either of the zuikos in this range, even the 40-150 "kit" lens, but is
> also
> cheaper... For the price it's a pretty good lens.
> --
>
> Stacey

Where can we get these Zuikos for the Ds and D70?

Stacey

Pete D wrote:

> "Stacey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Stephen Manaton wrote:
>>
>>> Has anyone used this lens on a Nikon D70,and what have the results been
>>> like,i have found this lens on the web for 107.Your views on this lens
>>> are most welcome cheers Stephen.

>> The results I've seen from this lens used on a 4/3 camera is: it's not
>> very
>> good wide open and it's also pretty soft at 200mm. From 55-150mm it
>> performs pretty good down a stop or two. For reference it's not as good
>> as either of the zuikos in this range, even the 40-150 "kit" lens, but is
>> also
>> cheaper... For the price it's a pretty good lens.
>> --
>>
>> Stacey

> Where can we get these Zuikos for the Ds and D70?

They are for olympus cameras. I'm sure the nikon lenses are this same level
or quality better than this sigma lens as well. It's back to you get what
you pay for. The zuikos are more expencive and perform better, I'm sure the
nikon glass is the same deal. You can't expect a $100 lens to perform like
a $250 one much less a $800 one.
--

Stacey

Pete D

"Stacey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Pete D wrote:
>

>> "Stacey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> The results I've seen from this lens used on a 4/3 camera is: it's not
>>> very
>>> good wide open and it's also pretty soft at 200mm. From 55-150mm it
>>> performs pretty good down a stop or two. For reference it's not as good
>>> as either of the zuikos in this range, even the 40-150 "kit" lens, but
>>> is
>>> also
>>> cheaper... For the price it's a pretty good lens.
>>> --
>>>
>>> Stacey

>> Where can we get these Zuikos for the Ds and D70?

> They are for olympus cameras. I'm sure the nikon lenses are this same
> level
> or quality better than this sigma lens as well. It's back to you get what
> you pay for. The zuikos are more expencive and perform better, I'm sure
> the
> nikon glass is the same deal. You can't expect a $100 lens to perform like
> a $250 one much less a $800 one.
> --
>
> Stacey

Oh!