Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Picture Quality: Best vs. Best (3:2)

Picture Quality: Best vs. Best (3:2)

Gail Gurman

I have a Kodak DX6340; not the top of the line, but it works for me.

There are four picture quality options: Best, Best(3:2), Better, and Good.
Here are the descriptions from the User's Guide for the first two:

Best: (3.1 MP)—for printing up to 11 x 14 in.(28 x 36 cm); pictures are
highest resolution and largest file size.

Best (3:2): (2.8 MP)—for printing up to 11 x 14 in.(28 x 36 cm); also ideal
for printing to the Kodak EasyShare printer dock 6000 and other printing
solutions.

Aside from the assumption that 3.1 MP is better than 2.8 MP, can anyone
distinguish between these two settings?

--
Gail Gurman
http://www.gurman.org/

Gadi Ben-Avi

Hi Gail,

The first second is the best the camera can output, but the ratio between
the width and length and 4:3. This means that it won't print well on
standard photo paper which has a ratio of 3:2.

The second setting crops the picture in the camera so it will fit well on
photo paper.

Gadi

"Gail Gurman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>I have a Kodak DX6340; not the top of the line, but it works for me.
>
> There are four picture quality options: Best, Best(3:2), Better, and Good.
> Here are the descriptions from the User's Guide for the first two:
>
> Best: (3.1 MP)—for printing up to 11 x 14 in.(28 x 36 cm); pictures are
> highest resolution and largest file size.
>
> Best (3:2): (2.8 MP)—for printing up to 11 x 14 in.(28 x 36 cm); also
> ideal
> for printing to the Kodak EasyShare printer dock 6000 and other printing
> solutions.
>
> Aside from the assumption that 3.1 MP is better than 2.8 MP, can anyone
> distinguish between these two settings?
>
> --
> Gail Gurman
> (E-Mail Removed)
> http://www.gurman.org/

David J Taylor

Gail Gurman wrote:
> I have a Kodak DX6340; not the top of the line, but it works for me.
>
> There are four picture quality options: Best, Best(3:2), Better, and
> Good. Here are the descriptions from the User's Guide for the first
> two:
>
> Best: (3.1 MP)—for printing up to 11 x 14 in.(28 x 36 cm); pictures
> are highest resolution and largest file size.
>
> Best (3:2): (2.8 MP)—for printing up to 11 x 14 in.(28 x 36 cm); also
> ideal for printing to the Kodak EasyShare printer dock 6000 and other
> printing solutions.
>
> Aside from the assumption that 3.1 MP is better than 2.8 MP, can
> anyone distinguish between these two settings?

Most likely:

Best => 4:3 aspect ratio

Best (3:2) => 3:2 aspect ratio (matches 6 x 4 inch [15 x 10cm] paper)

Best has more information at the top and bottom of the picture, but you
would need to crop the Best image for printing it on 15 x 10cm paper.

David

Ron Hunter

Gail Gurman wrote:
> I have a Kodak DX6340; not the top of the line, but it works for me.
>
> There are four picture quality options: Best, Best(3:2), Better, and Good.
> Here are the descriptions from the User's Guide for the first two:
>
> Best: (3.1 MP)—for printing up to 11 x 14 in.(28 x 36 cm); pictures are
> highest resolution and largest file size.
>
> Best (3:2): (2.8 MP)—for printing up to 11 x 14 in.(28 x 36 cm); also ideal
> for printing to the Kodak EasyShare printer dock 6000 and other printing
> solutions.
>
> Aside from the assumption that 3.1 MP is better than 2.8 MP, can anyone
> distinguish between these two settings?

The difference is aspect ratio. In the Best 3:2 setting some of the top
and bottom pixels are discarded so that that stored image is in the
proper aspect ratio for 4x6 prints. The resolution as to pixels/inch is
the same. The difference is that some pixels aren't saved. The 3.1mp
setting gives you the most pixels and is better if you want to do post
processing to select the area of the picture you want printed on the print.

--
Ron Hunter (E-Mail Removed)

Gail Gurman

"David J Taylor"
<(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote in
news:VzCke.38417$(E-Mail Removed) k:
> Gail Gurman wrote:
>> I have a Kodak DX6340; not the top of the line, but it works for me.
>> There are four picture quality options: Best, Best(3:2), Better, and
>> Good. Here are the descriptions from the User's Guide for the first
>> two:
>> Best: (3.1 MP)—for printing up to 11 x 14 in.(28 x 36 cm); pictures
>> are highest resolution and largest file size.
>> Best (3:2): (2.8 MP)—for printing up to 11 x 14 in.(28 x 36 cm); also
>> ideal for printing to the Kodak EasyShare printer dock 6000 and other
>> printing solutions.
>> Aside from the assumption that 3.1 MP is better than 2.8 MP, can
>> anyone distinguish between these two settings?

> Most likely:
> Best => 4:3 aspect ratio
> Best (3:2) => 3:2 aspect ratio (matches 6 x 4 inch [15 x 10cm]
> paper)
> Best has more information at the top and bottom of the picture, but
> you would need to crop the Best image for printing it on 15 x 10cm
> paper.

Thank you to you and everyone else who responded to my question. It all
makes so much sense now!

--
Gail Gurman
(E-Mail Removed)