Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Ashes and Snow

Ashes and Snow

Matt Silberstein

Well, my camera my be working, but it has been raining on and off, so
I have not had good opportunities to use it. Meanwhile we went to an
astounding photography exhibit today: Ashes and Snow
(http://www.ashesandsnow.org/). The photos were great, but the whole
exhibit worked as a unit. The current location (I gather it will be
traveling) is on a pier over the Hudson River on the west side of
Manhattan. The space is created by stacks of shipping containers,
paper columns, and a paper roof. The pictures are all about 4' by 3',
printed in sepia (mostly) or black and white (I think, and only a few)
on rough somewhat textured paper. The images are of humans and
animals, somehow suspended in time and place. They are haunting. Our
favorites were of the elephants, the rough texture of their skin
worked with the graininess of the print and the texture of the paper.
All shows were done such that there was no sense of background,
nothing to fix the subjects either to a country or to the ground. This
worked well with the shipping containers and the pier location, it all
gave a sense of "elsewhere", of dislocation. Since most of the images
were of a person and an animal, this dislocation served to draw the
two of them together. I strongly recommend to anyone that they go and
see this if they ever get a chance. I could not figure out if I wanted
to toss my camera away or start shooting immediately.

--
Matt Silberstein

Paul Furman

cool