Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > EXIF info going missing between Irfanview and Dimage viewer

EXIF info going missing between Irfanview and Dimage viewer

Stephen Poley

When editing photos I use the Dimage Viewer that came with my camera.
But if all that is needed is cropping, I use Irfanview because it is a
lot faster, and the user interface is better as well.

I have just discovered that when I've edited a picture with Irfanview,
the Dimage Viewer claims that there is no EXIF data present, though
Irfanview can still display it.

Some questions:
- Anyone know what is causing this?
- Can most viewing/editing programs read the EXIF data produced by
Irfanview? (I quite like Irfanview, but I don't want to be in the
position where it's the only program that can read my EXIF data).
- Is there a fix?

--
Stephen Poley

Mike Mills

Stephen Poley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> When editing photos I use the Dimage Viewer that came with my
> camera. But if all that is needed is cropping, I use Irfanview
> because it is a lot faster, and the user interface is better as
> well.
>
> I have just discovered that when I've edited a picture with
> Irfanview, the Dimage Viewer claims that there is no EXIF data
> present, though Irfanview can still display it.
>
> Some questions:
> - Anyone know what is causing this?
> - Can most viewing/editing programs read the EXIF data produced

by
> Irfanview? (I quite like Irfanview, but I don't want to be in the
> position where it's the only program that can read my EXIF data).
> - Is there a fix?

I too like irfanview a lot. When you hit Ctrl-s to save the picture
with the option of changing the filename, there are some parameters
which can be selected. see if they are checked or not.
I have no such problems, although I often remove the exif data
using other programs such as "jhead" from the cmdline to take care
of a number of files at once.
Jhead also allows the addition or manipulation of the exif or
comment data in a *batch* mode via cmdline.
The handiest way of writing descript.ion files may be to use a
slightly older version of xnview . The newest v 1.80 RC version
currently has some problems handling descript.ion files the way I
like.

Stephen Poley

On Sun, 22 May 2005 19:42:10 GMT, Mike Mills <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Stephen Poley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> I have just discovered that when I've edited a picture with
>> Irfanview, the Dimage Viewer claims that there is no EXIF data
>> present, though Irfanview can still display it.
>>
>> Some questions:
>> - Anyone know what is causing this?
>> - Can most viewing/editing programs read the EXIF data produced by
>> Irfanview? (I quite like Irfanview, but I don't want to be in the
>> position where it's the only program that can read my EXIF data).
>> - Is there a fix?

>I too like irfanview a lot. When you hit Ctrl-s to save the picture
>with the option of changing the filename, there are some parameters
>which can be selected. see if they are checked or not.

If you mean the option to keep EXIF data - yes, it's checked. And
Irfanview itself can read the information produced, but the Dimage
Viewer can not.

Presumably either Irfanview is writing the information incorrectly or
the Dimage Viewer is reading it incorrectly. If the latter, I can live
with it. But if Irfanview is writing the EXIF in a non-standard fashion,
then I don't want to use it any more for cropping. I was hoping someone
here could help.

--
Stephen Poley

Mike Mills

Stephen Poley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Sun, 22 May 2005 19:42:10 GMT, Mike Mills
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Stephen Poley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>news:(E-Mail Removed) m:
>>
>>> I have just discovered that when I've edited a picture with
>>> Irfanview, the Dimage Viewer claims that there is no EXIF data
>>> present, though Irfanview can still display it.
>>>
>>> Some questions:
>>> - Anyone know what is causing this?
>>> - Can most viewing/editing programs read the EXIF data produced
>>> by Irfanview? (I quite like Irfanview, but I don't want to be

in
>>> the position where it's the only program that can read my EXIF
>>> data). - Is there a fix?

>>I too like irfanview a lot. When you hit Ctrl-s to save the
>>picture with the option of changing the filename, there are some
>>parameters which can be selected. see if they are checked or not.

> If you mean the option to keep EXIF data - yes, it's checked. And
> Irfanview itself can read the information produced, but the

Dimage
> Viewer can not.
>
> Presumably either Irfanview is writing the information

incorrectly
> or the Dimage Viewer is reading it incorrectly. If the latter, I
> can live with it. But if Irfanview is writing the EXIF in a
> non-standard fashion, then I don't want to use it any more for
> cropping. I was hoping someone here could help.

I have not had any incompatibility ever with either exif
information retention by irfanview or any other stuff written into
the jpeg file structure like comment text.
Maybe you could try this one which I know reads the embedded
information directly from the image:
<!--// P3dO Explorer 2000-2005, SENO Software-->
// http://www.senosoft.com/
// http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
9:21 PM 4/26/05
free
very good

P3dO Explorer 1.7.6
P3dO Explorer is the official name for "Photo 3d Object
Explorer".
P3dO is an Explorer-ish image viewer which will help you manage
your graphic
stuff.