Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > What is a Fair price for a used Nikon D100?

What is a Fair price for a used Nikon D100?

Bryan O. Fenstermacher

All,

Just curious, what is an good / fair price for a used Nikon D100? I have a
friend who just replaced his fleet of Nikon D100's for three new Nikon D2X
bodies (he's a pro, I'm very much NOT pro).

He's offering me one of his D100's for $700, and around $780 with the
veritical grip... I posted earlier today about this, but now I'm asking
specificly about price for a used D100.

Thanks,
Bryan

Paul Rubin

"Bryan O. Fenstermacher" <bryan<~removethisstuff~>@fenstermacher.net> writes:
> Just curious, what is an good / fair price for a used Nikon D100?

A fair price is how much the seller could reasonably expect to get for
it from an informed buyer who is seeking a D100, minus the opportunity
cost of finding such a D100-seeker. I think you're interested in a
different question, which is how much should YOU be willing to pay for it.

The first thing you should be asking is "do you want a D100?". Some
possible answers are: 1) yes, 2) no, 3) you'd rather have a D70 but
you'll take the D100 if it's a big enough bargain.

I think your best answer is 3, which means the amount you should be
willing to pay is less than less than a D100-seeker should pay.

Cutting to the chase, I think a fair price for a used D100 is in the
$700-800 range, but YOU should not be willing to pay more than $500 or
so, because from how you've described your desires, you're better off
with a D70. The fairest deal between you and your friend is for him
to sell his D100 to someone else who'll pay more for it than you
should, and for you to buy a D70[S] or a Rebel XT. The D100's
specific advantages (vertical grip etc.) over the D70 outweigh its
disadvantages for some specific users which is why there are still
people looking for them, but I think not for you.

You might look at the D100 and D70 articles at www.bythom.com for a
more detailed comparison.

George Preddy

"Bryan O. Fenstermacher"
<bryan<~removethisstuff~>@fenstermacher.net> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> All,
>
> Just curious, what is an good / fair price for a used Nikon D100?
> I have a friend who just replaced his fleet of Nikon D100's for
> three new Nikon D2X bodies (he's a pro, I'm very much NOT pro).
>
> He's offering me one of his D100's for $700, and around $780 with
> the veritical grip.

It isn't worth it. Don't waste your money. The D100 is a noise machine
with terrible focus and exposure issues. You can get a used Sigma SD10
for the same price or less, and then you will have a professional DSLR
with a Foveon sensor.

Basic Wedge

"Bryan wrote ...

> I have a friend who just replaced his fleet of Nikon D100's for three new
> Nikon D2X bodies (he's a pro, I'm very much NOT pro).

Three Nikon D2Xs? That is an impressive investment! I wish I were in his
position.

Rob

george

"Bryan O. Fenstermacher @fenstermacher.net>" <bryan<~removethisstuff~> wrote
in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> All,
>
> Just curious, what is an good / fair price for a used Nikon D100? I have
> a friend who just replaced his fleet of Nikon D100's for three new Nikon
> D2X bodies (he's a pro, I'm very much NOT pro).
>
> He's offering me one of his D100's for $700, and around $780 with the
> veritical grip... I posted earlier today about this, but now I'm asking
> specificly about price for a used D100.
>
> Thanks,
> Bryan

Recently Overstock.com had D100's (refurbished)...I THINK they were about
$900.
You could always go to eBay and see what FINISHED auctions sold them at.

George

PS-Personally, I'd rather have a new D70 or D70S than a D100 whether it was
new or
used.

george

"Basic Wedge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Bryan wrote ...
>
>> I have a friend who just replaced his fleet of Nikon D100's for three new
>> Nikon D2X bodies (he's a pro, I'm very much NOT pro).

> Three Nikon D2Xs? That is an impressive investment! I wish I were in his
> position.
>
> Rob

Imagine the memory card investment...I'd want about 3 8GB CF cards per body!
It all
adds up too fast!

Tom Scales

"George Preddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns965CC9248FA5FxxxxSIGMASD10xxxx@81.174.12.3 0...
> "Bryan O. Fenstermacher"
> <bryan<~removethisstuff~>@fenstermacher.net> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> All,
>>
>> Just curious, what is an good / fair price for a used Nikon D100?
>> I have a friend who just replaced his fleet of Nikon D100's for
>> three new Nikon D2X bodies (he's a pro, I'm very much NOT pro).
>>
>> He's offering me one of his D100's for $700, and around $780 with
>> the veritical grip.

> It isn't worth it. Don't waste your money. The D100 is a noise machine
> with terrible focus and exposure issues. You can get a used Sigma SD10
> for the same price or less, and then you will have a professional DSLR
> with a Foveon sensor.

Bryan,
Please ignore Preddy. He's a shill/troll and supports the joke called
Sigma.

Tom Scales

"george" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:YVuje.259$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Basic Wedge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> "Bryan wrote ...
>>
>>> I have a friend who just replaced his fleet of Nikon D100's for three
>>> new Nikon D2X bodies (he's a pro, I'm very much NOT pro).

>> Three Nikon D2Xs? That is an impressive investment! I wish I were in his
>> position.
>>
>> Rob
>>

> Imagine the memory card investment...I'd want about 3 8GB CF cards per
> body! It all
> adds up too fast!

The 4GB cards are a nice size. 150 or so shots in NEF+JPEG Fine

Unspam

> "Basic Wedge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> "Bryan wrote ...
>>
>>> I have a friend who just replaced his fleet of Nikon D100's for three new
>>> Nikon D2X bodies (he's a pro, I'm very much NOT pro).

>> Three Nikon D2Xs? That is an impressive investment! I wish I were in his
>> position.
>>
>> Rob
>>

> Imagine the memory card investment...I'd want about 3 8GB CF cards per body!
> It all
> adds up too fast!

For professional us I would advise against large CF cards, much better to
have a lot a smaller cards, if one goes tits up you won't have lost a lot of
work.

Steven M. Scharf

Bryan O. Fenstermacher

> All,
>
> Just curious, what is an good / fair price for a used Nikon D100? I have a
> friend who just replaced his fleet of Nikon D100's for three new Nikon D2X
> bodies (he's a pro, I'm very much NOT pro).
>
> He's offering me one of his D100's for $700, and around $780 with the
> veritical grip... I posted earlier today about this, but now I'm asking
> specificly about price for a used D100.

$700 is a fair price, but you may want to get a new D70s for around $900
when they come out, instead.

What's a fair price? jmc Digital Photography 7 11-16-2007 04:18 AM
fair market price for S1 pro ed.msgs@gmail.com Digital Photography 2 09-27-2007 08:49 AM
Fair Price? Flair HTML 3 02-14-2007 08:47 AM
a fair price for an IPAQ 4350 PAUL NZ Computing 1 02-14-2005 08:24 PM
A fair Price for a D30.. bill Digital Photography 9 12-21-2003 07:49 PM

Advertisments