Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Upgrading to a DSLR question.

Upgrading to a DSLR question.

Robert

I am upgrading from an Oly C4040. and I am trying to decide between the
Evolt, EOS 300D, EOS 350D, and the EOS 20D. Mainly between the Evolt and the
EOS 350D. I know the Oly has the CCD and the Canon has the CMOS. Back When I
bought the C4040 I read that the CCD was the way to go. I am not sure now.
Any advice and comments between the EOS 350D and the Evolt would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks
Robert

G.T.

"Robert" <(E-Mail Removed)1.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am upgrading from an Oly C4040. and I am trying to decide between the
> Evolt, EOS 300D, EOS 350D, and the EOS 20D. Mainly between the Evolt and

the
> EOS 350D. I know the Oly has the CCD and the Canon has the CMOS. Back When

> bought the C4040 I read that the CCD was the way to go. I am not sure now.
> Any advice and comments between the EOS 350D and the Evolt would be

greatly
> appreciated.

I own a Rebel XT, and I owned an original Rebel. I would skip the original
Rebel/300D unless you really need to save money. Of all four cameras I
would get the 20D if you have the money. It's all around the best of the 4
cameras in your list. Between the Oly and the Rebel XT/350D I would pick
the 350D due to more lens options including plenty of 3rd party lenses and
it not being 4/3. The only thing I don't like about my XT is the relatively
small size, although it looks like the Evolt is relatively small, too. One
interesting feature of the Evolt is it's Supersonic Wave Filter for
theoretically keeping dust off of the sensor.

My recommendation is the 20D if you have the money, 350D if not.

Keep the C4040 as a p&s backup either way.

Greg

Hannah

"Robert" <(E-Mail Removed)1.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am upgrading from an Oly C4040. and I am trying to decide between the
> Evolt, EOS 300D, EOS 350D, and the EOS 20D. Mainly between the Evolt and

the
> EOS 350D. I know the Oly has the CCD and the Canon has the CMOS. Back When

If those 4 choices are in your basket then surely there can only be one
winner, the 20D.
The Evolt and the 350D are hardly in the same class.
Hannah.

Charles Schuler

"Robert" <(E-Mail Removed)1.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am upgrading from an Oly C4040. and I am trying to decide between the
> Evolt, EOS 300D, EOS 350D, and the EOS 20D. Mainly between the Evolt and
> the
> EOS 350D. I know the Oly has the CCD and the Canon has the CMOS. Back When
> bought the C4040 I read that the CCD was the way to go. I am not sure now.
> Any advice and comments between the EOS 350D and the Evolt would be
> greatly
> appreciated.

I agree with the advice you have already received (get the 20D) and I'll add
that CMOS used to be inferior, but that has changed.

George Preddy

"Robert" <(E-Mail Removed)1.net> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I am upgrading from an Oly C4040. and I am trying to decide
> between the Evolt, EOS 300D, EOS 350D, and the EOS 20D. Mainly
> between the Evolt and the EOS 350D. I know the Oly has the CCD and
> the Canon has the CMOS. Back When I bought the C4040 I read that
> the CCD was the way to go. I am not sure now. Any advice and
> comments between the EOS 350D and the Evolt would be greatly
> appreciated.

Sigma will be announcing several new bodies before the end of the
summer so it might be better to wait. If you want to start shooting
with a DSLR immediately you can find really excellent deals on used
Sigma SD10 and SD9 bodies, which have a way better sensor than the
DSLRs of all other manufacturers. If you are set on Four Thirds, then
it would be best to wait for the Sigma Four Thirds body to ship because
the Oly models are essentially junk.

steve

Personally I think Canon is the way to go. Much lower noise levels.

For what it is worth, I currently have a 10D and love it.

www.dpreview.com offers good reviews on many digital cameras. You might
want to browse the reviews and see what they had to say.

Steve

Robert wrote:
> I am upgrading from an Oly C4040. and I am trying to decide between the
> Evolt, EOS 300D, EOS 350D, and the EOS 20D. Mainly between the Evolt and the
> EOS 350D. I know the Oly has the CCD and the Canon has the CMOS. Back When I
> bought the C4040 I read that the CCD was the way to go. I am not sure now.
> Any advice and comments between the EOS 350D and the Evolt would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Robert

Cynicor

George Preddy wrote:
> "Robert" <(E-Mail Removed)1.net> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>

>>I am upgrading from an Oly C4040. and I am trying to decide
>>between the Evolt, EOS 300D, EOS 350D, and the EOS 20D. Mainly
>>between the Evolt and the EOS 350D. I know the Oly has the CCD and
>>the Canon has the CMOS. Back When I bought the C4040 I read that
>>the CCD was the way to go. I am not sure now. Any advice and
>>comments between the EOS 350D and the Evolt would be greatly
>>appreciated.

> Sigma will be announcing several new bodies before the end of the
> summer so it might be better to wait. If you want to start shooting
> with a DSLR immediately you can find really excellent deals on used
> Sigma SD10 and SD9 bodies, which have a way better sensor than the
> DSLRs of all other manufacturers. If you are set on Four Thirds, then
> it would be best to wait for the Sigma Four Thirds body to ship because
> the Oly models are essentially junk.

Interesting choices. Say, I note that you haven't answered my question
in another thread. Please identify sources for three instances where the
front lens element has fallen off a Nikon kit lens and a Canon kit lens
under light usage conditions. Yesterday you claimed that you'd heard
numerous reports of this.

Aza

"George Preddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns965CA0984E3AAxxxxSIGMASD10xxxx@81.174.12.3 0...
> "Robert" <(E-Mail Removed)1.net> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I am upgrading from an Oly C4040. and I am trying to decide
>> between the Evolt, EOS 300D, EOS 350D, and the EOS 20D. Mainly
>> between the Evolt and the EOS 350D. I know the Oly has the CCD and
>> the Canon has the CMOS. Back When I bought the C4040 I read that
>> the CCD was the way to go. I am not sure now. Any advice and
>> comments between the EOS 350D and the Evolt would be greatly
>> appreciated.

> Sigma will be announcing several new bodies before the end of the
> summer so it might be better to wait. If you want to start shooting
> with a DSLR immediately you can find really excellent deals on used
> Sigma SD10 and SD9 bodies, which have a way better sensor than the
> DSLRs of all other manufacturers. If you are set on Four Thirds, then
> it would be best to wait for the Sigma Four Thirds body to ship because
> the Oly models are essentially junk.

Hurrah!, Susie's back!....

So, Sue, your latest jest is to tell us that Sigma are finally going to
draw the sharp blade of commercial failure across their own throats by
producing a final camera that employs a no-hope sensor in a no-hope format?

Perhaps you're right, perhaps suicide is fashionable in Japan this year -
but then again, perhaps not.

Sigma have proved to be extremely unenthusiastic about the 4/3 system -
despite being one of the original signatories to that pact of the damned.

For instance, they *could' have made their better quality EX lenses fit the
4/3 system. That would have given them a terrific edge over the only
alternative, stupidly priced Olympus glass.

But the didn't, did they Sue? - in fact, they only lenses they bothered to
release for 4/3 were a couple of crappy cheapies.

Why? - could it be that they know the 4/3 system is a road to nowhere? As
for using yet another Foveon chip! - they really would have to be seeking
financial ruin if they did that!

I, personally, think that Sigma will just bow out of the camera body market
altogether - but if a new body is in the pipeline you can be sure that they
will try and get it right this time - which means No Foveon & No Four Thirds

Charles Schuler

> Sigma will be announcing several new bodies before the end of the
> summer so it might be better to wait. If you want to start shooting
> with a DSLR immediately you can find really excellent deals on used
> Sigma SD10 and SD9 bodies, which have a way better sensor than the
> DSLRs of all other manufacturers. If you are set on Four Thirds, then
> it would be best to wait for the Sigma Four Thirds body to ship because
> the Oly models are essentially junk.

Say no to GP and Sigma SD cameras. However, Sigma just might have an ace up
their sleeve and might announce a new camera that could be worth looking at.
On the other hand, GP seems to have a jackass up his sleeve.

Tom Scales

"George Preddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns965CA0984E3AAxxxxSIGMASD10xxxx@81.174.12.3 0...
> "Robert" <(E-Mail Removed)1.net> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I am upgrading from an Oly C4040. and I am trying to decide
>> between the Evolt, EOS 300D, EOS 350D, and the EOS 20D. Mainly
>> between the Evolt and the EOS 350D. I know the Oly has the CCD and
>> the Canon has the CMOS. Back When I bought the C4040 I read that
>> the CCD was the way to go. I am not sure now. Any advice and
>> comments between the EOS 350D and the Evolt would be greatly
>> appreciated.

> Sigma will be announcing several new bodies before the end of the
> summer so it might be better to wait. If you want to start shooting
> with a DSLR immediately you can find really excellent deals on used
> Sigma SD10 and SD9 bodies, which have a way better sensor than the
> DSLRs of all other manufacturers. If you are set on Four Thirds, then
> it would be best to wait for the Sigma Four Thirds body to ship because
> the Oly models are essentially junk.

Why wait? SD9 and SD10 are crap. Why would I believe that Sigma would
introduce anything other than more expensive crap?