Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon L versus Sigma EX, any true in what George Preddy writes?

Canon L versus Sigma EX, any true in what George Preddy writes?

eatmorepies

He writes that the Sigma are as good as or better than Canon L lenses.
Anyone have any experience of using both makes?

John

Malcolm Stewart

"eatmorepies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:428ccb31$(E-Mail Removed)...
> He writes that the Sigma are as good as or better than Canon L lenses.
> Anyone have any experience of using both makes?
>
> John

Yes - I have 2 A3+ glossy film prints from images shot about a year ago on
my 10D. One was taken with my EF 135 f2L, and the other was shot with my
Sigma 17-35 EX HSM (original version, and re-chipped by Sigma UK). There is
no difference in sharpness between this pair of shots - both are excellent
and can be critically examined close up.
However, six months earlier I was in despair about the Sigma zoom.
Performance was truly awful. Then I got my 10D's AF calibrated and the lens
which appeared to benefit most from this was the Sigma (and my EF 50 f1.4 at
full aperture, no more coloured fringes). I was pleasantly surprised with
the improvement on the Sigma. Wish I knew what was going on.

An earlier Sigma lens, the APO 500 f7.2 is too old to work on my 10D, but is
excellent on my EOS3.

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

George Preddy

"eatmorepies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:428ccb31$(E-Mail Removed):

> He writes that the Sigma are as good as or better than Canon L
> lenses.

Please don't misquote me. I didn't say ALL Sigma lenses were better
than Canon L glass. I said that Sigma EX pro series lenses were
slightly better and much less expensive. Of course, the Sigma
consumer lenses blow away the entry level Canon glass too.

> Anyone have any experience of using both makes?

I do. Go with the Sigma EX pro series if you want the very best
optics available.

George Preddy

"Malcolm Stewart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in news:d6ik10$i6b$(E-Mail Removed):

> "eatmorepies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:428ccb31$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> He writes that the Sigma are as good as or better than Canon L
>> lenses. Anyone have any experience of using both makes?
>>
>> John

> Yes - I have 2 A3+ glossy film prints from images shot about a
> year ago on my 10D. One was taken with my EF 135 f2L, and the
> other was shot with my Sigma 17-35 EX HSM (original version, and
> re-chipped by Sigma UK). There is no difference in sharpness
> between this pair of shots - both are excellent and can be
> critically examined close up. However, six months earlier I was in
> despair about the Sigma zoom. Performance was truly awful. Then I
> got my 10D's AF calibrated and the lens which appeared to benefit
> most from this was the Sigma (and my EF 50 f1.4 at full aperture,
> no more coloured fringes). I was pleasantly surprised with the
> improvement on the Sigma.

Indeed. The Sigma EX pro series lenses are certainly on par, and
actually slightly better than Canon L according to the results of my
extensive testing. Best of all, the price is right.

SimonLW

"eatmorepies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:428ccb31$(E-Mail Removed)...
> He writes that the Sigma are as good as or better than Canon L lenses.
> Anyone have any experience of using both makes?
>
> John

I'll assume you don't know about Preddy.
Preddy is a TROLL. Trolls feed on REPLY energy. Why people are sucked in to
his posts, I'll never know. I'm not sure the GP post earlier IS GP or some
other disruptor.

Anyhow, I've owned Sigma lenses before and was pleased with the performance.
Sigma's 70-300 APO of years past performed similar to Canon's 75-300 lens,
but the Canon suffered from more color fringing. My Sigma 300mm f/4 APO
macro was just as good as my Canon 300mm f/4 IS L, but IS is more useful. I
also had a Sigma 50mm macro that was very good too.

Some people may recall the SIGnificant MAlfunction website where people
seemed happy with the optical performance of their Sigma lens, but upset
that the lens fell apart in their hands. I don't know if this is still an
issue, but the ones I had held up fine. Another gotcha is compatibility with
newer Canon bodies. You could send the lens to Sigma for a "rechip" provided
the lens is not too old. Current Sigma lenses sold are compatible with
current bodies. I don't know if this will be an issue in the future.

If possible. shoot both lenses and decide on what you like best.
-S

Dirty Harry

"eatmorepies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:428ccb31$(E-Mail Removed)...
> He writes that the Sigma are as good as or better than Canon L lenses.
> Anyone have any experience of using both makes?
>
> John

This lens seems to be on par with the 100-400L IS,
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...&cat=37&page=2 trying to decide which to grab...comments?

Ryadia@home

"Malcolm Stewart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:d6ik10$i6b$(E-Mail Removed)...

> --
> M Stewart
> Milton Keynes, UK
> http://www.megalith.freeserve.co.uk/oddimage.htm

George Preddy is an American war hero and one time great aviator who does
not deserver to be impersonated by a wanna-be, almost-did, reject like this
idiot. The numb nutted kook who uses his name for Usenet posts is a pathetic
reject of society who has done Sigma more harm with his fanatical ravings
than any lens or camera they ever made has done. Who ever gave him back his
computer ought to go see a counsellor.

Having said that... Sigma do make some lenses which no one can distinguish
the pictures they take from those taken with a genuine camera brand lens.
They are not a pinch on Canon lenses for quality of manufacturer and they
'hunt' back and forth to find the focus point when a true "L" series lens
just goes to the point of focus.

Sigma lenses have noisier motors than a USM lens and the focus motor on
their 100 ~300 EX lens is substantially slower to focus than a USM powered
lens. It is totally unacceptable to me to have paid out $3700 for a lens
claimed and promoted as being a top of the range "Professional" lens and
have it jam it's zoom ring, 80 Klm into the bush. It is even worse to
discover the importer has no stock of the lenses to replace it with and have
to send it to Hong Kong for repair. I'm talking about the 120 ~ 300 f2.8
with a front element so large, it's almost impossible to find any filters
for it. Recalled by Sigma to fix the very same problem mine had... No one
bothered to inform the Aussies.

If you want a cheap lens which can take sharp pictures, DG EX HSM are the
only ones likely to suit. If you want a lens that does all that but focuses
faster, runs quieter and pulls focus in lower light, buy the Canon USM or
'L' series. None of them are as good as Nikon lenses but then Nikon are
still playing with the digital fantasy.

Douglas

Steven M. Scharf

"eatmorepies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:428ccb31$(E-Mail Removed)...
> He writes that the Sigma are as good as or better than Canon L lenses.
> Anyone have any experience of using both makes?

The Sigma EX lenses are between the Canon L series, and Canon amateur
series, in terms of optical performance. The problem with Sigma lenses has
always been compatibility and mechanical performance. The EX lenses will
work with existing Canon bodies, at the time the lens is new, but with newer
bodies the lens often has to be rechipped to work.

Save your money for the Canon lens. In the long run, you will regret not
buying the Canon lens. Also, if you ever want to sell your lens, the Canon
lenses have very good resale value, 80% is common, while the Sigma lenses
have very poor resale value.

In case you aren't familiar with "Preddy" his statements on Sigma need to be
taken with thousands of pounds of salt.

eatmorepies

> If you want a cheap lens which can take sharp pictures, DG EX HSM are the
> only ones likely to suit. If you want a lens that does all that but

focuses
> faster, runs quieter and pulls focus in lower light, buy the Canon USM or
> 'L' series. None of them are as good as Nikon lenses but then Nikon are
> still playing with the digital fantasy.
>
> Douglas

So you won't save me any money. I bought my first L lens 2 weeks ago and was
amazed. Now I have to buy 2 or 3 more to complete the set. I imagined I
might be clutching at straws when GP suggested Sigma as the way forward. L
it is now and ever shall be.

John

Skip M

"eatmorepies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:428ccb31$(E-Mail Removed)...
> He writes that the Sigma are as good as or better than Canon L lenses.
> Anyone have any experience of using both makes?
>
> John

The only comparable lenses I've used from both are the 17-35 f2.8 EX HSM
Sigma, the 17-35 f2.8 L USM and the 16-35 f2.8 L USM Canons. The Sigma came
close to the quality of the older 17-35 Canon, certainly close enough to
obviate the need to spend $900 more for the Canon. BUT! Canon replaced
that lens with the current 16-35 f2.8, which is a far better lens than
either the older Canon or the 17-35 Sigma. I still have the Sigma, but the
16-35 is on the list to buy next month, after prime wedding season has paid
for it, a 24-70 f2.8 and a 70-200 f2.8.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com