Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon 17-85mm IS Lens vs Canon 17-40L Lens

Canon 17-85mm IS Lens vs Canon 17-40L Lens

Tom

Seems like the latter is recommended often. The first one is one of
those that come in a kit.

Any pros vs cons for either? I think they are about the same price
(not sure about this and correct me please if I'm wrong here).
thanks.

measekite

Tom wrote:

>Seems like the latter is recommended often. The first one is one of
>those that come in a kit.

This is not a kit lens. The max on the kit lense is 55mm.

>Any pros vs cons for either? I think they are about the same price
>(not sure about this and correct me please if I'm wrong here).
>thanks.

John A. Stovall

On Tue, 17 May 2005 14:41:26 -0500, Tom wrote:

>Seems like the latter is recommended often. The first one is one of
>those that come in a kit.
>
>Any pros vs cons for either? I think they are about the same price
>(not sure about this and correct me please if I'm wrong here).
>thanks.

One is a "L" ; the other isn't.

Here are some reviews:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...&cat=27&page=1

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...&cat=27&page=2

"The past is foreign country: they do things differently there."

_The Go-Between_
L.P. Hartley
1895 - 1972

Rob

On Tue, 17 May 2005 20:09:00 GMT, measekite <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Tom wrote:
>
>>Seems like the latter is recommended often. The first one is one of
>>those that come in a kit.
>>

>This is not a kit lens. The max on the kit lense is 55mm.

Ok. Maybe wrong choice of words but it comes as a package deal with a
lot of on line vendors.

Rob

On Tue, 17 May 2005 15:13:45 -0500, Rob wrote:

>On Tue, 17 May 2005 20:09:00 GMT, measekite <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>

>>Tom wrote:
>>
>>>Seems like the latter is recommended often. The first one is one of
>>>those that come in a kit.
>>>

>>This is not a kit lens. The max on the kit lense is 55mm.

>Ok. Maybe wrong choice of words but it comes as a package deal with a
>lot of on line vendors.

Tom, forgot to mention, some say the first one is nothing special but
the second one seems to be recommended by many. Unfortunately I don't
have either.

Charles Schuler

<Tom> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Seems like the latter is recommended often. The first one is one of
> those that come in a kit.
>
> Any pros vs cons for either? I think they are about the same price
> (not sure about this and correct me please if I'm wrong here).
> thanks.

I have the 17-85 but don't have the 17-40. The one I have is a very nice
walk-around lens and my guess is that it would suit most general
photographers better since it has a wider range and image stabilization. I
do happen to own one L lens and can indeed see the difference, but it's not
so much that it would matter all that much to lots of folks. The reason
that there are so many lenses is that there are so many needs (and
opinions).

Dirty Harry

<Tom> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Seems like the latter is recommended often. The first one is one of
> those that come in a kit.
>
> Any pros vs cons for either? I think they are about the same price
> (not sure about this and correct me please if I'm wrong here).
> thanks.

Can anyone comment on how the 17-85 would do in a wedding situation? Would
I be better off with a f1.8 50mm?

Marten

"Dirty Harry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> <Tom> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Seems like the latter is recommended often. The first one is one of
>> those that come in a kit.
>>
>> Any pros vs cons for either? I think they are about the same price
>> (not sure about this and correct me please if I'm wrong here).
>> thanks.

> Can anyone comment on how the 17-85 would do in a wedding situation?
> Would
> I be better off with a f1.8 50mm?

If you don't want to spend a bundle and still get a very sharp lens for a
wedding try a Tamron AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD. I have been reading lots of
reviews and comments and finally bought one. It is as nice as everyone says
it is and makes the kit 18-55 look crappy.

Skip M

"measekite" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wbsie.18356$(E-Mail Removed) om...

> Tom wrote:
>
>>Seems like the latter is recommended often. The first one is one of
>>those that come in a kit.
>>

> This is not a kit lens. The max on the kit lense is 55mm.

There are two 20D kits, one with the 18-55 f4-5.6 for something like $1500
and one with the 17-85 f4-5.6 US USM for in the neighborhood of $2000.
Locally, Calumet has both on their shelves.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Dirty Harry

"Marten" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsnvie.57013$0X6.24898@edtnps90...
> "Dirty Harry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >
> > <Tom> wrote in message

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Seems like the latter is recommended often. The first one is one of
> >> those that come in a kit.
> >>
> >> Any pros vs cons for either? I think they are about the same price
> >> (not sure about this and correct me please if I'm wrong here).
> >> thanks.

> > Can anyone comment on how the 17-85 would do in a wedding situation?
> > Would
> > I be better off with a f1.8 50mm?
> >

> If you don't want to spend a bundle and still get a very sharp lens for a
> wedding try a Tamron AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD. I have been reading lots of
> reviews and comments and finally bought one. It is as nice as everyone

says
> it is and makes the kit 18-55 look crappy.

Thanks for the info. My current selection is a 50mm f1.8 and the canon
28-105 USM II which I like alot better then the kit lens, no f2.8 there
though I'm defenatly gonna look into this lens...