Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > old lense on a Canon EOS 20d

old lense on a Canon EOS 20d

Tom

I've inherited an old Nikon N6006 with a Sigma autofocus 28-105mm
1:4-5.6 (58 mm dia) lense. If I buy a Canon EOS 20d, can I use this
lense on this Canon body?

Jim Townsend

Tom wrote:

> I've inherited an old Nikon N6006 with a Sigma autofocus 28-105mm
> 1:4-5.6 (58 mm dia) lense. If I buy a Canon EOS 20d, can I use this
> lense on this Canon body?

No.

Jim Townsend

Tom wrote:

> I've inherited an old Nikon N6006 with a Sigma autofocus 28-105mm
> 1:4-5.6 (58 mm dia) lense. If I buy a Canon EOS 20d, can I use this
> lense on this Canon body?

Darn.. clicked send to early on my last reply

No, you can't use a lens with a Nikon mount on a 20D.. You require lenses
with the EOS mount. Canon designates them as EF or EF-S.

Sigma, Tamron and others make lenses with the EOS mount for use
on Canon SLR cameras.

Gisle Hannemyr

Tom writes:
> I've inherited an old Nikon N6006 with a Sigma autofocus 28-105mm
> 1:4-5.6 (58 mm dia) lense. If I buy a Canon EOS 20d, can I use this
> lense on this Canon body?

Yes, with a $175 Cameraquest adapter:
http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...focus_EOS.html

You'll loose autofocus and will be restricted to stop-down metering.

Is it worth it? My answer is "no".

Jim Townsend

Gisle Hannemyr wrote:

> Tom writes:
>> I've inherited an old Nikon N6006 with a Sigma autofocus 28-105mm
>> 1:4-5.6 (58 mm dia) lense. If I buy a Canon EOS 20d, can I use this
>> lense on this Canon body?

> Yes, with a $175 Cameraquest adapter:
> http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...focus_EOS.html
>
> You'll loose autofocus and will be restricted to stop-down metering.

I believe you also risk not being able to focus at infinity..

The adapter has thickness and moves the lens away from the camera..
Not as much as an extension tube, but probably enough to screw up
infinity focus

Gisle Hannemyr

Jim Townsend <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Gisle Hannemyr wrote:
>> Tom writes:

>>> I've inherited an old Nikon N6006 with a Sigma autofocus 28-105mm
>>> 1:4-5.6 (58 mm dia) lense. If I buy a Canon EOS 20d, can I use this

>> Yes, with a $175 Cameraquest adapter:
>> http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...focus_EOS.html
>>
>> You'll loose autofocus and will be restricted to stop-down metering.

> I believe you also risk not being able to focus at infinity..

This is the case with the adapter to use Canon's older FD-mount on
EOS bodies (EF-mount) - unless the adapter has an optical element
that corrects it. The Cameraquest F-mount to EF-mount adapter gives
infinity focus without such an optical element

> The adapter has thickness and moves the lens away from the camera..
> Not as much as an extension tube, but probably enough to screw up
> infinity focus

Nikon's F-mount is physically smaller than Canon's EF-mount, so
F-mount lens fits within the EF-mount.

Frank ess

Jim Townsend wrote:
> Gisle Hannemyr wrote:
>
>> Tom writes:
>>> I've inherited an old Nikon N6006 with a Sigma autofocus 28-105mm
>>> 1:4-5.6 (58 mm dia) lense. If I buy a Canon EOS 20d, can I use
>>> this
>>> lense on this Canon body?

>> Yes, with a $175 Cameraquest adapter:
>> http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...focus_EOS.html
>>
>> You'll loose autofocus and will be restricted to stop-down
>> metering.

> I believe you also risk not being able to focus at infinity..
>
> The adapter has thickness and moves the lens away from the camera..
> Not as much as an extension tube, but probably enough to screw up
> infinity focus

Some adapters have glass in them, designed, I think, to eliminate that
shortcoming. May not work real good in the cheap versions ($40-80).

--
Frank ess

Dave Herzstein

Frank ess wrote:

> Jim Townsend wrote:
>>
>> Gisle Hannemyr wrote:

>>> Yes, with a $175 Cameraquest adapter:
>>> http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...focus_EOS.html
>>>
>>> You'll loose autofocus and will be restricted to stop-down
>>> metering.

>> I believe you also risk not being able to focus at infinity..
>>
>> The adapter has thickness and moves the lens away from the camera..
>> Not as much as an extension tube, but probably enough to screw up
>> infinity focus

> Some adapters have glass in them, designed, I think, to eliminate that
> shortcoming. May not work real good in the cheap versions ($40-80).

To adapt a Nikon lens on a Canon EOS body requires an adapter of 2mm
thickness - no optics required to preserve infinity focus. You can buy
such an adapter for as little as $35.

-Dave

Todd H.

Tom writes:
> I've inherited an old Nikon N6006 with a Sigma autofocus 28-105mm
> 1:4-5.6 (58 mm dia) lense. If I buy a Canon EOS 20d, can I use this
> lense on this Canon body?

Probably not. Even if it were an EOS mount Sigma lens, maybe even
not then.

I have the EOS mount 70-210 f/2.8 and 28-70 f/2.8 Sigmas purchased in
1993ish and neither works on post Elan-II era bodies (my 300D for
instance). They give ERR99 because Canon changed the signalling
protocol for aperture stop down, and Sigmas reverse engineering of
that protocol (rather than licensing it) was successfully foiled.

As such, I can only use these lenses on aperture priority mode wide
open (f/2.. Later model Sigmas may be chip upgradeable. Mine were
not however.

Throw in the fact that you in your case would somehow need to get
these Nikon mount Sigmas to even fit on the EOS mount, odds are slim
to none that it'll all work in the end.

For more info on the EOS issue, see FAQ #7 here:
http://sigmaphoto.com/faq/faq.asp?navigator=3

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.