Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Portraits with Non-DSLR digital camera

Portraits with Non-DSLR digital camera

Ron Hunter

Craig Flory wrote:
> Hi Wes; There is an old saying among professional photographers "it
> is not the camera , it's the photographer". I have seen some great photos
> done with a pin-hole camera or an instamatic. If you learn composition,
> lighting, and other dynamics ... as well as Photoshop, Photoshop Elements or
> another good program, the camera will be less imporatant. One thing to
> remember about the difference between point & shoot & SLR style ..... point
> & shoot cameras have paralax problems. That means that you view through a
> viewfinder & not through the lens. So what you see is not what get. Things
> are not where you saw them in the viewfinder. So if you do buy a point &
> shoot, make sure it has a lot of megapixels. You will need to back up and
> not get too close because of paralax. If you do you can then crop in
> tighter. Besides that, go for a camera with a fair amount of optical zoom.
> Get one that has a tripod socket on the bottom so you can put it on a
> tripod. I hope these things help. Craig Flory

I have NEVER seen a P&S camera that doesn't have an LCD that shows the
sensor output. If you use a tripod (and for portraits, you should),
then it is ok to use the LCD for framing the picture, in fact, it is the
best way. For handheld shots, use the viewfinder, even with the paralax
issue, because you NEED the inertia of that heavy thing on your neck!

--
Ron Hunter http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Roger Whitehead

In article <ts0ie.1730$(E-Mail Removed). net>, Craig
Flory wrote:
> One thing to
> remember about the difference between point & shoot & SLR style ..... point
> & shoot cameras have paralax problems.

Only through their viewfinders, not with their LCD screens.

--

Roger

Roger Whitehead

In article <MPG.1cf26f0adb7bb08a989af8@news-server>, Diane Wilson wrote:
> For indoor portraits, off-camera flash is just about essential.

Or use available light. Jane Bown used to (see
http://www.photo.net/mjohnston/column27 ), handheld, too.

--

Roger

Microwave

On Mon, 16 May 2005 09:56:16 -0500
Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have NEVER seen a P&S camera that doesn't have an LCD that shows the
> sensor output. I

My film ones don't.

I had to shoot a digital P&S for a magazine insert (one of those annoying things that drops out
by the bucketload when you pick up the magazine) a couple weeks back. It had no LCD whatsoever.
But it was rather "made in China."

Roger Whitehead

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Microwave wrote:
> I had to shoot a digital P&S for a magazine insert (one of those annoying things that drops out
> by the bucketload when you pick up the magazine) a couple weeks back. It had no LCD whatsoever.

No, that's a PoS.

--

Roger

Doug Warner

Microwave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I had to shoot a digital P&S for a magazine insert (one of those annoying things that drops out
>by the bucketload when you pick up the magazine) a couple weeks back. It had no LCD whatsoever.
>But it was rather "made in China."

Why not, inserts aren't fine art, Their only purpose is to make me
tear them all out and toss them into the trash before I begin to read
the magazine. If they have photos on them, I never see them.

To reply, please remove one letter from each side of "@"
Spammers are VERMIN. Please kill them all.