Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Compact or Ultra Compact? And then which one?

Compact or Ultra Compact? And then which one?

Akilesh Ayyar

I've been doing some reading on ultra compact models, but my first
question is: should I get one, or am I better off with a regular
compact model? I want something that I can take more or less everywhere
with me, but on the other hand, I'm prone to losing things that are too
light and small. Does anyone have any experience on whether the
difference between compact and ultra-compact is significant? I'm
looking for a camera that can go with me everywhere and that I would
consider a pleasure to tote around...

As for the rest:

Budget: Preferably <$300, but I'd go up to $400 if necessary

MP: >=3

Need standard optical zoom

Want good image quality, but even more important to me is ergonomics,
shutter speed, the overall speed of the camera in things like turning
on and viewing pics, an easy to use menu system, etc. I want something
that's a PLEASURE to use and will never give me grief...something
reliable and speedy, even if that means a little less picture quality.

Battery life matters... I definitely want something that can last
several dozen shots on a charge at least. The longer the better.

I don't care about manual controls. I want relatively simple.

The pictures will mostly be smaller in size--4x6s or 5x7s... honestly,
most will just end up on the web or on email.

I want something that's durable... I've heard Canon's SD-series LCDs
break a lot, and the same is true of Casio? I'm a clutz, so I don't
want something that's going to die with a small mistake.

I've heard good things about the Sony DSC-T1 and the DSC-P150, the
Olympus Stylus 410, and many others, but I'm very open to new options.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Tim

I have a Sony DSC-T1

I wanted a camera that I could easily stick in a pocket

The camera is a joy to use IMHO and the build quality is first rate - it's a
pleasure to carry and use

Only downside is image quality but that is only really an issue at full
size - at the sizes your looking to use I don't think that will be much of a
problem - it's a 5MP image

You can tweak the brightness, contrast etc if needed later

The battery life is pretty good - I've been getting 70 mins+ and the
batteries are so small that carrying a spare in your pocket isn't a problem

Also the camera switches on and off so quickly that you can squeeze max life
out of the batteries if your running low by switching the thing off after
each shot - I've taken 100+ 5MP pics on one charge

One thing to watch out for is the flash - it SUCKS - don't even think about
getting pictures with it - low power and red eye - but this is probably an
issue with most small cameras as the flash and lens are so close

BTW the macro mode is great - an unexpected bonus in such a small camera

HTH

Tim