Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Lumix FZ5: CAD$769 Vs. US$499?!

Lumix FZ5: CAD$769 Vs. US$499?!

domtam@hotmail.com

I have always this question in mind. Why does the digital camera cost
so much more in Canada than that in US?

Example #1: Pansonic Lumix FZ5
According to the Panasonic Canada web site, its MSRP is CAD$769.
However, it is only US$499 in Panasonic US web site. As of today, the
currency exchange is about 1.26. In other words, if I buy this camera
from Panasonic US web site, it will be only CAD$628. That's more than
CAD$140 difference!

The street price difference may be more significant. Let me compare the
price in large chain store. A few weeks ago, the price of FZ5 at
Circuit City in US was about US$425 (with web-only mail-in rebate) if I
remember correctly. However, London Drugs in Canada is selling it at
CAD$699 or so. The difference is over CAD$160.

Example #2: Canon Powershot S2
I thought it was specific to the pricing strategy of Panasonic Canada.
Finally, Canon announced Powershot S2, which is a very close
competitor to FZ5. (I like its VGA-quality 30fps movie mode, but it
still doesn't offer hot shoe, too bad)

When available, Canaon Powershot S2 expected street price, according to
Canon USA, will be about US$499 (i.e. around CAD$62. I don't know
its MSRP though. According to Canon Canada press release, its MSRP will
be CAD$875!!

I live in Canada. If not necessary, I don't want to buy the camera
from US mainly because of the possible exchange / refund / warranty
issue. (I got a confirmation from Panasonic Canada. They don't honour
the US warranty). Do you know where in Canada (preferrably BC) I can
buy the above cameras at a "more reasonable" price?

Thanks
Dom