Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Recommended DSLR camera?

Recommended DSLR camera?

Andreas Schmidt

I am an amateur photographer and I used the analog Canon EOS 500 for a long
time until I got my first digital camera (a really bulky and slow Fujifilm
camera).

Now I want to get a digital camera that's just as good as my old EOS 500.
The following features would be important:

* fast
* adjustable aperture, shutter speed
* not too heavy or bulky
* good optical zoom

If I buy a Canon EOS Digital Rebel model, I can use the old lens from my
Canon EOS 500, right?

That would be great because I saw a special offer for the Canon EOS 6.3MP
Digital Rebel (Body Only) on amazon (46% off). So, can I buy it and use
the lens from my old analog EOS 500?

Thanks!
Markus

Paul Furman

Andreas Schmidt wrote:

> I am an amateur photographer and I used the analog Canon EOS 500 for a long
> time until I got my first digital camera (a really bulky and slow Fujifilm
> camera).

Fuji has some good stuff now. Don't discount them.

> Now I want to get a digital camera that's just as good as my old EOS 500.

Technically speaking, you may need to sped $4,000.00 or more for "as
good as film" but any of the DSLRs will be plenty close enough & much
better in other ways depending how you define it.

> The following features would be important:
>
> * fast

Rebel 300 is a bit slower than a D70 but not much.

> * adjustable aperture, shutter speed

All will have this.

> * not too heavy or bulky

Rebel 350 is smaller, Nikon 50 too I think but not quite available yet I
think.

> * good optical zoom

This depends entirely on the lens you get. All the kit lenses are
similar, I got a 28-200 with my D70 which is a huge range, Canon
probably has something similar but it lacks the wide angle of the kit
lenses. I don't know of anything good and wide with more telephoto.

> If I buy a Canon EOS Digital Rebel model, I can use the old lens from my
> Canon EOS 500, right?

Tell us the exact name of that lens with all the numbers and letters
written on it, for example: "Tamron 28-70mm 1:3.5-4.5 CF Macro"

> That would be great because I saw a special offer for the Canon EOS 6.3MP
> Digital Rebel (Body Only) on amazon (46% off).

Probably doesn't include battery & other standard things or it's
used/reconditioned. Check B&H or Adorama for real pricing.

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1

GT

"Andreas Schmidt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am an amateur photographer and I used the analog Canon EOS 500 for a long
> time until I got my first digital camera (a really bulky and slow Fujifilm
> camera).

Any new canon EOS body will have at least all of the features of your EOS
500.

> If I buy a Canon EOS Digital Rebel model, I can use the old lens from my
> Canon EOS 500, right?

Possible, but maybe not. The EOS 300d has a newer fitting to accomodate the
digital lenses. Older lenses will physically fit the camera, but the
electronics has been updated, so your lens may need to be re-chipped. I may
be wrong, but I think canon lenses are OK and others (if more than a couple
of years old) will need re-chipped. Also, due to the digital sensor being
smaller than 35mm film, the 300d has a cropping factor of 1.6x, so 'normal'
lenses are multiplied by 1.6 (e.g. 28-80mm becomes 45-128mm)

> That would be great because I saw a special offer for the Canon EOS 6.3MP
> Digital Rebel (Body Only) on amazon (46% off). So, can I buy it and use
> the lens from my old analog EOS 500?

You will find lots of deals on the digital rebel (or 300d) because canon
have released a newer model to replace it - the 8MP 350d (I think its called
rebel XT in the USA). I notice you have selected a body only offer there -
you might be better to consider a package with the lens kit as you will
probably miss the wider angle lens (assuming your old lens works and starts
at 28mm, it will now start at 45mm)

x-- Access to over 1.6 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month
x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

eatmorepies

> If I buy a Canon EOS Digital Rebel model, I can use the old lens from my
> Canon EOS 500, right?
>
> That would be great because I saw a special offer for the Canon EOS 6.3MP
> Digital Rebel (Body Only) on amazon (46% off). So, can I buy it and use
> the lens from my old analog EOS 500?

The 350D is excellent and discounts are begining to appear. You may well be
able to use your old lens, is it an EF model?

I suggest it's worthing paying extra for the better specified 350D than for
the outgoing 300D. You will probably have the camera for some years and if
you think about the cost of ownership per week, it probably doesn't amount
to much difference. Also, the extra cost of the kit lens is not much and it
makes a useful wide angle lens - which the one from your EOS 500 will not.
Canon have a massive range of lenses for you to choose from when you have
owned a DSLR for a time and have thought about what you want from the
camera. (And as I tell everyone who will listen, save up for the L series).

I can't comment on Pentax or Nikon as I have no experience of them.

John

eatmorepies

> > Now I want to get a digital camera that's just as good as my old EOS

500.

> Technically speaking, you may need to sped $4,000.00 or more for "as
> good as film" but any of the DSLRs will be plenty close enough & much
> better in other ways depending how you define it.

I've had this discussion before. If you don't do any dot per inch
calculations but simply look at the results, then the 350D knocks ordinary
film results into next week. I know there are special (slow) emulsions and
transparencies but my film camera with stock 200 ISO film produces decent
but not stunning 10x8.

Last weekend I stuck my new L series zoom on the front of my 350D, dialed
200 ISO and took some hand held snaps (in RAW) at 200mm - mostly at f2.8. I
converted them to TIFF, fiddled a bit with levels (on some of them) and
printed them on my cheap R200 Epson. The results are fantastic. A committed
film user I work with could not believe they had come out of a small sensor
digital SLR. He equated them with prints from his medium format film camera.

Now I know the lens makes a big difference, but what it does is to allow the
sensor to show what it's capable of. I took some snaps in a chapel on ISO
1600, grain? What grain? I haven't been in film photography for some time
but can you get 1600 ISO film will barely noticable grain? And at no point
have I had to mess about with chemicals.

The only thing I miss is the excitement of watching a B&W print appearing in
the dev. tray.

I would, of course, defend, almost to the death, your right to use and
champion film. In a way I feel a little sad that it has had it's day and
that I will probably never get a chance to use an expensive medium format
that I lusted after when I couldn't afford it and don't want now I can.

John