Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > can't see computers?

can't see computers?

Rick Donnellon

I have a linsys 802.11b/g wireless network for my home office. I have two
almost identical laptops running on it. On one laptop everything works fine
I can see and access the workgroup and both laptops under "My Network
Places\Entire network\Microsoft Windows Network". But on the other laptop
when click on the workgroup "My Network Places\Entire network\Microsoft
Windows Network\Rdmd", explorer kind of hangs up for a while and then
displays the following message.

"Rdmd is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network
resource. etc, etc, etc"

I can see the workgroup but not the computers under it, which the computer
I'm on is one of them. I'm sure its just a setting I'm missing somewhere on
the one laptop but I can't find it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Rick

moon~shadow

"Rick Donnellon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a linsys 802.11b/g wireless network for my home office. I have two
> almost identical laptops running on it. On one laptop everything works

fine
> I can see and access the workgroup and both laptops under "My Network
> Places\Entire network\Microsoft Windows Network". But on the other laptop
> when click on the workgroup "My Network Places\Entire network\Microsoft
> Windows Network\Rdmd", explorer kind of hangs up for a while and then
> displays the following message.
>
> "Rdmd is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network
> resource. etc, etc, etc"
>
> I can see the workgroup but not the computers under it, which the computer
> I'm on is one of them. I'm sure its just a setting I'm missing somewhere

on
> the one laptop but I can't find it. Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Rick
>
> Not sure if this will help but hubby had same problem. He went to Network

Connections highlighted the main computer and the networked one, right
clicked and created a network bridge. Problem was solved.

HTH

Rick Donnellon

Bingo!
I got to thinking, what's changed... I added Norton Internet suite over the
weekend. I turned off the firewall and Its working fine now. now I just have
to go back and figure out how to configure the firewall.

Thanks for the tip.
Rick
news:(E-Mail Removed)...