Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How many mp's to match resolution of 4x5 neg film cam?

Reply
Thread Tools

How many mp's to match resolution of 4x5 neg film cam?

 
 
Roger N Clark change user
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-06-2005
Dave Martindale wrote:

> Ilya Zakharevich

writes:
>>So this price/performance consideration
>>should move in the direction of smaller pixels. If/when the price of
>>extra processing power is close to 0, even small benefits from the
>>added information will make smaller pixels preferable.

>
>
> Again, you're ignoring the fact that smaller pixels are technically
> inferior to larger pixels in sensitivity and noise. Even if computation
> and memory become effectively free, you've still got to deal with this.
>
> Dave


Dave,
A slight correction. Small versus large pixels sizes:
the sensitivity (quantum efficiency) is the same for small
versus large pixels when made from the same technology
(e.g. front side illuminated CCDs). Large pixels collect
more photons simply because they have a larger area.
Like a large bucket set out in the rain will collect more
rain drops than a small bucket.

Roger


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dave Martindale
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-07-2005
rec.photo.digital writes:

>> Again, you're ignoring the fact that smaller pixels are technically
>> inferior to larger pixels in sensitivity and noise. Even if computation
>> and memory become effectively free, you've still got to deal with this.


>Dave,
>A slight correction. Small versus large pixels sizes:
>the sensitivity (quantum efficiency) is the same for small
>versus large pixels when made from the same technology
>(e.g. front side illuminated CCDs). Large pixels collect
>more photons simply because they have a larger area.
>Like a large bucket set out in the rain will collect more
>rain drops than a small bucket.


Yeah, I was being sloppy. What I was really talking about is
"sensitivity at constant S/N", not "sensitivity at X% of full well".
Sensors with larger pixels can be used under consitions of lower
exposure and still obtain a usable image.

There ought to be two proper, separate, clear names for these two
concepts.

Dave
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-07-2005
Dave Martindale wrote:

> rec.photo.digital writes:
>
>
>>>Again, you're ignoring the fact that smaller pixels are technically
>>>inferior to larger pixels in sensitivity and noise. Even if computation
>>>and memory become effectively free, you've still got to deal with this.

>
>
>>Dave,
>>A slight correction. Small versus large pixels sizes:
>>the sensitivity (quantum efficiency) is the same for small
>>versus large pixels when made from the same technology
>>(e.g. front side illuminated CCDs). Large pixels collect
>>more photons simply because they have a larger area.
>>Like a large bucket set out in the rain will collect more
>>rain drops than a small bucket.

>
>
> Yeah, I was being sloppy. What I was really talking about is
> "sensitivity at constant S/N", not "sensitivity at X% of full well".
> Sensors with larger pixels can be used under consitions of lower
> exposure and still obtain a usable image.
>
> There ought to be two proper, separate, clear names for these two
> concepts.
>
> Dave


Yes, I agree.

Roger
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: How include a large array? Edward A. Falk C Programming 1 04-04-2013 08:07 PM
How many mp's to match resolution of 4x5 neg film cam? Codex Digital Photography 140 05-26-2005 09:40 PM
How many mp's to match resolution of 4x5 neg film cam? Roger N Clark change user Digital Photography 0 05-06-2005 10:46 PM
After having 8mm film reels digitally archived, film looks very grainy/ filled with static. Is this digital-looking noise normal? + more 8mm film questions Phil Edry Digital Photography 11 10-10-2004 11:57 PM
flatbed scanners with neg film scanning ability ? Beowulf Digital Photography 7 09-01-2004 10:10 PM



Advertisments