Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Best small point and shoot camera

Best small point and shoot camera

utseay@aol.com

I use to have the Canon Powershot s400, and I have to say I was
impressed with the quality. Although the quality was great - there was
RED EYE in every single picture. I couldn't take it any longer, so I
got the Sony Cybershot DSC-P200 7.2 megapixel. The quality is great,
and NO REDEYE. The bad news is, the picture clearity is 50/50. Half
the time it takes a great picture, the other half a blurry picture. I
had zero blurry pictures with the s400. After last night at a party
that contained many blurry pictures that I really wanted I've decided
to get rid of the Sony.

My question is, what do you guys suggest for quality and consistant
clearity with little red eye?

Paul Rubin

> My question is, what do you guys suggest for quality and consistant
> clearity with little red eye?

There is absolutely no way to eliminate red-eye with a small camera
with direct flash. Forget about it, it's just not going to happen.
You need external flash.

Paul Furman

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I use to have the Canon Powershot s400, and I have to say I was
> impressed with the quality. Although the quality was great - there was
> RED EYE in every single picture. I couldn't take it any longer, so I
> got the Sony Cybershot DSC-P200 7.2 megapixel. The quality is great,
> and NO REDEYE. The bad news is, the picture clearity is 50/50. Half
> the time it takes a great picture, the other half a blurry picture. I
> had zero blurry pictures with the s400. After last night at a party
> that contained many blurry pictures that I really wanted I've decided
> to get rid of the Sony.
>
> My question is, what do you guys suggest for quality and consistant
> clearity with little red eye?

The deciding factor for red eye is the distance between the lens and the
flash and the subject, or pre-flash red-eye reduction. Are those two
cameras very different sizes or flash positioned differently?

Blur may be caused by a number of things, probably too long of a zoom??
Do you have an example with EXIF shooting settings?

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1

chrlz@go.com

I apologise if you are an experienced shooter, but are you sure there
isn't a technique problem? Is it camera shake, motion blur, or out of
focus? Are you pre-focussing, is AF Assist light on? What AF settings
are you using? - there are selectable modes apparently..

I've not heard about the P200 having poor AF, in fact imaging-resource
says it has `very impressive low-light performance`.. However I have
noticed a couple of user reviews that indicate there may be a few
faulty ones out there with exactly your problem.

If it really is as bad as you say, take it back and ask for an exchange
before you dam the camera - it may just be a lemon..

Spend some time at www.dpreview.com and www.imaging-resource.com -
their reviews will give an idea which cameras are better for low
red-eye.. but all compacts will suffer from it to some extent, and
most of the in-camera reduction methods suck.

Michael Johnson, PE

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I use to have the Canon Powershot s400, and I have to say I was
> impressed with the quality. Although the quality was great - there was
> RED EYE in every single picture. I couldn't take it any longer, so I
> got the Sony Cybershot DSC-P200 7.2 megapixel. The quality is great,
> and NO REDEYE. The bad news is, the picture clearity is 50/50. Half
> the time it takes a great picture, the other half a blurry picture. I
> had zero blurry pictures with the s400. After last night at a party
> that contained many blurry pictures that I really wanted I've decided
> to get rid of the Sony.
>
> My question is, what do you guys suggest for quality and consistant
> clearity with little red eye?

The problem with the P200 and some of Sony's other cameras is they use a
default shutter speed of 1/40th second for flash shots. IMO, they
should have used at least 1/60. There is a work-around to this. With
the camera set to manual the shutter speed can be forced to 1/60 or
1/100 and the flash set to "on". This will eliminate most of the blurry
flash shots. One other way is to use the "Sports" scene mode and force
the flash to fire. This actually gives a shutter speed of 1/250 and
will freeze the action very well. It will cut down on the range some.
Also, the flash can be adjusted to a step stronger in the menu. This
will help increase the range over the normal setting.

One other helpful hint is to set the auto focus to "Spot" or "Center"
mode. I have found that using the entire view area for focusing
sometimes results in softer pictures because the camera may not focus on
your subject.

I recommend trying some of the things I have mentioned before getting
rid of the camera.

Nostrobino

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I use to have the Canon Powershot s400, and I have to say I was
> impressed with the quality. Although the quality was great - there was
> RED EYE in every single picture. I couldn't take it any longer, so I
> got the Sony Cybershot DSC-P200 7.2 megapixel. The quality is great,
> and NO REDEYE. The bad news is, the picture clearity is 50/50. Half
> the time it takes a great picture, the other half a blurry picture. I
> had zero blurry pictures with the s400. After last night at a party
> that contained many blurry pictures that I really wanted I've decided
> to get rid of the Sony.
>
> My question is, what do you guys suggest for quality and consistant
> clearity with little red eye?

Redeye is rather unpredictable, but the closer the flash is to the lens axis
the more likely you are to get it, because the lens then is more likely to
"see" the part of the retina which is illuminated by the flash. Yet
users/reviewers often report that two cameras with the same lens-to-flash
spacing give very different amounts of redeye, sometimes even when they are
of the same brand and similar model. Personally I think this is more likely
to be a matter of randomness than actual difference between the two cameras.

Another factor is shooting distance. The closer you are, the *less* likely
you are to get redeye. again, this is a matter of the angles involved. When
shooting at a subject 20 or 30 feet away I have gotten very bad cases of
redeye even with a separate (shoe-mounted) flash unit, though that type of
flash effectively eliminates redeye at closer distances.

Are you using redeye reduction (pre-flash)? This often helps though it
certainly does not eliminate redeye.

Other than that, there isn't much you can do about any compact camera which
has the flash built in close to the lens, which unfortunately most of them
do. You might want to look at the Minolta (now Konica Minolta) DiMAGE X
series cameras which have the flash a bit farther from the lens than most
ultracompact cameras. I have *never* gotten redeye with my Minolta Xt or Xg
cameras, but this is probably more because the little indoor flash shooting
I've done with them has been at quite close distance, than because of any
substantial difference in these cameras from others.

As for the 50% blurry problem you mention, that sounds like your Sony has
autofocus problems in low light, which a number of digital cameras do at
least some percentage of the time. I have no familiarity at all with Sony
cameras so that's just a supposition on my part.

N.

utseay@aol.com

Here are a few examples of what I'm talking about. Some are good, some
are dark, some are over exposed, some are blurry...ect.

The canon s400 never had these problems. I could be running full speed
and pass a deer running full speed in the oposite direction and still
get a good picture. It would still produce red eye, but it would be a
clear good quality deer.

I have messed with the AF a little. It seems to help very little.
However, I have not adjusted the shutter speed. I will give this a
shot, hopefully it will work. Thanks for the tip. Check out the below
pics and let me know if you think it will help:

http://img.photobucket.com/alb-ums/v.../DSC002-05.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/alb-ums/v.../DSC002-03.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/alb-ums/v.../DSC002-07.jpg

http://members.aol.com/utseay/-sh.jpg
http://members.aol.com/utseay/-sh2.jpg
http://members.aol.com/utseay/-sh3.jpg

http://members.aol.com/utseay/doo2

Michael Johnson, PE

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Here are a few examples of what I'm talking about. Some are good, some
> are dark, some are over exposed, some are blurry...ect.
>
> The canon s400 never had these problems. I could be running full speed
> and pass a deer running full speed in the oposite direction and still
> get a good picture. It would still produce red eye, but it would be a
> clear good quality deer.
>
> I have messed with the AF a little. It seems to help very little.
> However, I have not adjusted the shutter speed. I will give this a
> shot, hopefully it will work. Thanks for the tip. Check out the below
> pics and let me know if you think it will help:
>
> http://img.photobucket.com/alb-ums/v.../DSC002-05.jpg
> http://img.photobucket.com/alb-ums/v.../DSC002-03.jpg
> http://img.photobucket.com/alb-ums/v.../DSC002-07.jpg
>

> http://members.aol.com/utseay/-sh.jpg
> http://members.aol.com/utseay/-sh2.jpg
> http://members.aol.com/utseay/-sh3.jpg
>
> http://members.aol.com/utseay/doo2

I'm assuming you were replying to my post. I can't get any of the above
links to work.

utseay@aol.com

utseay@aol.com