Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > auto settings on Coolpix 995

auto settings on Coolpix 995

Stuart Noble

A real newbie with all this but I'm trying to get some idea of how
"automatic" this camera's auto settings are.
For example, to capture running water in lowish light I selected 1000/ 3.9
with an ISO of 800 and got a good shot, but there was no way I could get
the
camera to do the same when I left it to choose ether shutter speed or
aperture. With ISO set to auto, the exif data doesn't seem to tell you
what
ISO level was used but, by the look of the photos, it doesn't select
anything higher than about 200.
I guess there must limitations to the camera's ability to calculate every
possibile exposure within a reasonable time but any advice as to where
these
boundaries might be would be appreciated.

It has removed 4312 spam emails to date.
Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

jean

According to my book, auto exposure works well when the scene is equal to an
18% gray level such as:

Scenes in bright sunlight, front lit, with the sun behind you.
Scenes on overcast days or under diffuse light (in the shade or evenly lit
indoor scenes)

Jean

"Stuart Noble" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:KXlee.213$(E-Mail Removed)...
> A real newbie with all this but I'm trying to get some idea of how
> "automatic" this camera's auto settings are.
> For example, to capture running water in lowish light I selected 1000/ 3.9
> with an ISO of 800 and got a good shot, but there was no way I could get
> the
> camera to do the same when I left it to choose ether shutter speed or
> aperture. With ISO set to auto, the exif data doesn't seem to tell you
> what
> ISO level was used but, by the look of the photos, it doesn't select
> anything higher than about 200.
> I guess there must limitations to the camera's ability to calculate every
> possibile exposure within a reasonable time but any advice as to where
> these
> boundaries might be would be appreciated.

> It has removed 4312 spam emails to date.
> Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

Stuart Noble

"jean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Mvpee.13542$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> According to my book, auto exposure works well when the scene is equal

> an
> 18% gray level such as:
>
> Scenes in bright sunlight, front lit, with the sun behind you.
> Scenes on overcast days or under diffuse light (in the shade or evenly

lit
> indoor scenes)
>
> Jean

Sorry, Jean, that's over my head. What is 18% gray, and how do you know
when
you have it?

It has removed 4321 spam emails to date.
Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

Ron Hunter

Stuart Noble wrote:
> A real newbie with all this but I'm trying to get some idea of how
> "automatic" this camera's auto settings are.
> For example, to capture running water in lowish light I selected 1000/ 3.9
> with an ISO of 800 and got a good shot, but there was no way I could get
> the
> camera to do the same when I left it to choose ether shutter speed or
> aperture. With ISO set to auto, the exif data doesn't seem to tell you
> what
> ISO level was used but, by the look of the photos, it doesn't select
> anything higher than about 200.
> I guess there must limitations to the camera's ability to calculate every
> possibile exposure within a reasonable time but any advice as to where
> these
> boundaries might be would be appreciated.

> It has removed 4312 spam emails to date.
> Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

Those settings are done by the firmware in the specific camera, and
reflect what the designers, and programmers, think will produce the best
picture. There are always assumptions, and tradeoffs, made in the
process. In reality, many different setting of ISO, aperture, and
shutter speed may produce a good picture. And that is why a lot of
photographers like to have the ability to make these settings themselves.

--
Ron Hunter http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Stuart Noble

"Ron Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:UWuee.10009$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Stuart Noble wrote:
>> A real newbie with all this but I'm trying to get some idea of how
>> "automatic" this camera's auto settings are.
>> For example, to capture running water in lowish light I selected 1000/
>> 3.9
>> with an ISO of 800 and got a good shot, but there was no way I could

get
>> the
>> camera to do the same when I left it to choose ether shutter speed or
>> aperture. With ISO set to auto, the exif data doesn't seem to tell you
>> what
>> ISO level was used but, by the look of the photos, it doesn't select
>> anything higher than about 200.
>> I guess there must limitations to the camera's ability to calculate

every
>> possibile exposure within a reasonable time but any advice as to where
>> these
>> boundaries might be would be appreciated.

> Those settings are done by the firmware in the specific camera, and
> reflect what the designers, and programmers, think will produce the best
> picture. There are always assumptions, and tradeoffs, made in the
> process. In reality, many different setting of ISO, aperture, and

shutter
> speed may produce a good picture. And that is why a lot of

photographers
> like to have the ability to make these settings themselves.

Thanks, Ron. I thought that might be the case

It has removed 4329 spam emails to date.
Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

jean

"Stuart Noble" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:lkree.14591$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "jean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Mvpee.13542$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> > According to my book, auto exposure works well when the scene is equal

> > an
> > 18% gray level such as:
> >
> > Scenes in bright sunlight, front lit, with the sun behind you.
> > Scenes on overcast days or under diffuse light (in the shade or evenly

> lit
> > indoor scenes)
> >
> > Jean

> Sorry, Jean, that's over my head. What is 18% gray, and how do you know
> when
> you have it?

Here is a reasonneable explanation
http://photo.net/making-photographs/exposure Keep in mind the designers
make the auto settings work for average conditions, whenever the conditions
of the scene fall outside the range, then auto settings will not give a good
picture.

Jean

Stuart Noble

> Here is a reasonneable explanation
> http://photo.net/making-photographs/exposure

Thanks, Jean. Site added to my favourites

It has removed 4391 spam emails to date.
Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!