Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Another Zoom thread....

Reply
Thread Tools

Another Zoom thread....

 
 
Xman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-04-2005
I know marketing kind of changes things around for companies to make more
money and will sell one thing and then change the name and sell it again for
a different product. Is this what is going on when camera/lens makers call
lenses different names?

In regarding Zoom lenses...here's what I'm saying. Nikkor calls them....

Standard Zoom Lens
Zoom lens
High Power Zoom Lens
Telephoto Lens
Super Telephoto
Standard Telephoto

Now...I can only imagine all these can be called the same thing...because
they all do the same thing, right?

I'm just a little confused while shopping for lenses while there are so many
different names that companies are calling them.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Frederick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-04-2005
Xman wrote:

> I know marketing kind of changes things around for companies to make more
> money and will sell one thing and then change the name and sell it again for
> a different product. Is this what is going on when camera/lens makers call
> lenses different names?
>
> In regarding Zoom lenses...here's what I'm saying. Nikkor calls them....
>
> Standard Zoom Lens
> Zoom lens
> High Power Zoom Lens
> Telephoto Lens
> Super Telephoto
> Standard Telephoto
>
> Now...I can only imagine all these can be called the same thing...because
> they all do the same thing, right?
>
> I'm just a little confused while shopping for lenses while there are so many
> different names that companies are calling them.
>
>
>

You haven't looked very far if the above list is the extent of what you
have found.

The greatest $$ making trick for Nikon & Canon are IS/AV lenses. It is
just plain daft to focus development on in-lens IS. Plonkers who buy
them without absolute need are providing incentive for Canon and Nikon
not to make the IS DSLR bodies that they should be offering consumers.
Unfortunately, they know that brand snobbery eliminates Konica / Minolta
as serious competition. If there is a benefit, then it is that the
profits are so good that they both sell great non-IS bodies very cheaply.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Frank ess
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-04-2005
Xman wrote:
> I know marketing kind of changes things around for companies to make
> more money and will sell one thing and then change the name and sell
> it again for a different product. Is this what is going on when
> camera/lens makers call lenses different names?
>
> In regarding Zoom lenses...here's what I'm saying. Nikkor calls
> them....
> Standard Zoom Lens
> Zoom lens
> High Power Zoom Lens
> Telephoto Lens
> Super Telephoto
> Standard Telephoto
>
> Now...I can only imagine all these can be called the same
> thing...because they all do the same thing, right?
>
> I'm just a little confused while shopping for lenses while there are
> so many different names that companies are calling them.


It's part of the initiation ritual. You must slog through the
undecipherables to reach an enlightenment.

What they call them usually includes a ??-??? zoom range. Have a look
at the results of using those ranges, or look through the camera/lens
combo to see if the product suits your needs. Then you buy the lens
that fits, and call it "mine".

If you can't see some kind of result that matches what your eye wants
to show the world, all the language is meaningless anyway. Too much
technical fooferaw interferes with getting into it; in to photography
as opposed to photographing test patterns and split hairs.

--
Frank ess

 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul Rubin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-04-2005
Frederick <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> The greatest $$ making trick for Nikon & Canon are IS/AV lenses. It
> is just plain daft to focus development on in-lens IS. Plonkers who
> buy them without absolute need are providing incentive for Canon and
> Nikon not to make the IS DSLR bodies that they should be offering
> consumers.


Is it possible to do IS in the SLR body?! I thought it was done by a
little prism that had to be way inside the lens, between other optical
elements.
 
Reply With Quote
 
David Dyer-Bennet
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-04-2005
"Xman" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I know marketing kind of changes things around for companies to make
> more money and will sell one thing and then change the name and sell
> it again for a different product. Is this what is going on when
> camera/lens makers call lenses different names?


No.

> In regarding Zoom lenses...here's what I'm saying. Nikkor calls them....
>
> Standard Zoom Lens
> Zoom lens
> High Power Zoom Lens
> Telephoto Lens
> Super Telephoto
> Standard Telephoto
>
> Now...I can only imagine all these can be called the same
> thing...because they all do the same thing, right?


No. The last three aren't zoom; they're fixed focal length.
"Standard Telephoto" doesn't mean much. "Standard Zoom Lens" means
it's one they want to sell with a body, they way one used to
automatically get a 50mm lens with a body.

> I'm just a little confused while shopping for lenses while there are
> so many different names that companies are calling them.


Look at what they do, not what they're called. Focal length (range,
if zoom) and aperture (range, sometimes, if zoom...okay, varifocal).
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <(E-Mail Removed)>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
RKBA: <http://noguns-nomoney.com/> <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>
Pics: <http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/> <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/>
Dragaera/Steven Brust: <http://dragaera.info/>
 
Reply With Quote
 
Skip M
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-04-2005



"Xman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I know marketing kind of changes things around for companies to make more
>money and will sell one thing and then change the name and sell it again
>for a different product. Is this what is going on when camera/lens makers
>call lenses different names?
>
> In regarding Zoom lenses...here's what I'm saying. Nikkor calls them....
>
> Standard Zoom Lens
> Zoom lens
> High Power Zoom Lens
> Telephoto Lens
> Super Telephoto
> Standard Telephoto
>
> Now...I can only imagine all these can be called the same thing...because
> they all do the same thing, right?


No, only some of them are the same thing...
Let me see if I can help (I shoot Canon, so Nikon's terminology is a little
unfamiliar to me)
Standard Zoom=Lens that covers what is considered "standard" or "normal"
focal length and goes to a short telephoto, usually 35mm to 70ish
High Power Zoom Lens=Your guess is as good as mine on this one, probably
means longish to even longer, 100mm or so to 400mm or so.
Telephoto Lens= Not a zoom but a fixed focal length lens of longer than
"standard" focal length, anything from about 70mm to about 200mm.
Super Telephoto=Any fixed focal length lens longer than the above, from
300mm to however long the mfr. can get it, Nikon makes a 600mm lens, Canon
has one (special order, megabucks) at 1200mm, some of the aftermarket guys
have them in the 800mm range.
Standard Telephoto=Ya got me on this one, I have no clue what the difference
between a telephoto and a "standard" telephoto could possibly be.
"Standard" and "telephoto" would seem to me to be mutually exclusive. I'm
sure somebody out there will fill us both in...
Then, of course, you also have the wide zoom (28-35mm), super wide zoom
(16-28 or 35mm), ultra wide zoom (12-24mm), etc.
>
> I'm just a little confused while shopping for lenses while there are so
> many different names that companies are calling them.


It can be confusing, even the people in the shop can't always keep it
straight...
--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jim Townsend
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-04-2005
Xman wrote:

> I know marketing kind of changes things around for companies to make more
> money and will sell one thing and then change the name and sell it again for
> a different product. Is this what is going on when camera/lens makers call
> lenses different names?
>
> In regarding Zoom lenses...here's what I'm saying. Nikkor calls them....
>
> Standard Zoom Lens
> Zoom lens
> High Power Zoom Lens
> Telephoto Lens
> Super Telephoto
> Standard Telephoto
>
> Now...I can only imagine all these can be called the same thing...because
> they all do the same thing, right?


I don't think you quite understand what zoom means.

Zoom has nothing to do with the magnifying power of a lens.

A zoom lens is nothing more than a lens with a variable
focal length.

If you take the maximum focal length and divide it by the
minimum focal length, you have the zoom factor:

A lens that can be adjusted from 28mm to 84mm has a zoom
of 84/28 = 3X

If you take a 100mm to 300mm lens it also has a
3X zoom.. 300/100= 3X

A 200mm to 600mm lens would have a zoom of..
600/200 = 3X

Note the X describes the *range* the focal length can
be adjusted.. It does NOT describe the magnifying
power of the lens.

The X in zoom lenses isn't the same as the X you
see in telescopes and binoculars.. In this case the
X means how close a binocular or telescope can make
distant objects appear. 10X = 10 times closer.

For a quick primer in 35mm lenses:

Fixed lenses in the range of 50mm to 80mm are considered
'standard'. They approximate what our eyes see.

As focal lengths become less than 50, then you go
towards wide angle.

As focal lengths go above 50mm, then you move towards
telephoto.

So. For *fixed* lenses you can have three basic formats:

- Wide angle (focal length less than 50)
- Standard (focal lengths of 50-80)
- Telephoto (focal lengths over 80)

Note that *all* fixed lenses have a zoom of 1X. Take
the Nikon 600mm f/4D for instance. This lens has
tremendous magnifying power.. (Roughly equal to a
12X set of binoculars)... BUT if you use the zoom
formula (Max focal length / Min focal length), you wind up
with: 600mm/600mm = 1X

All fixed lenses (no matter how powerful) have a
zoom of 1X.. Of course, no fixed lenses are called
zoom lenses, so the point is moot

If you make lenses with variable focal lengths (zoom)
then they can fall into the same categories.

If you look at at a 17-35mm lens, both focal lengths
are under 50mm so both are considered wide angle.
A 14-35mm lens is a wide angle zoom. Despite this
being a 2.5X zoom lens, it makes things appear
smaller and further away. It has NO magnifying
power.

So.. For zoom lenses you can also have three formats:

- Wide angle zooms
- Standard zooms
- Telephoto zooms

Nikon goes a bit further and uses adjectives like
Super and High power. These are just catch phrases.

One would expect a Super telephoto lens to have more
power than a standard telephoto.. And, in fact they do:

A 105 mm telephoto is a Standard telephoto
A 600 mm telephoto is a Super telephoto.

Here's an exercise that will make what I've said
apparent..

Go to Nikon's web site for thier lenses:

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=5

Look at all the Zoom lenses. Find a zoom lens that has a
fixed (or single) focal length.. Bet you can't.

Now try find a fixed focal length lens that is
described as a zoom




 
Reply With Quote
 
[BnH]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-04-2005
check out minolta 7D

=bob=

"Paul Rubin" <http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Is it possible to do IS in the SLR body?! I thought it was done by a
> little prism that had to be way inside the lens, between other optical
> elements.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Matt Ion
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-04-2005
Really great definitions, Jim. A little long-winded overall, but the
core information was solid and succinct.


Jim Townsend wrote:
> Xman wrote:
>
>
>>I know marketing kind of changes things around for companies to make more
>>money and will sell one thing and then change the name and sell it again for
>>a different product. Is this what is going on when camera/lens makers call
>>lenses different names?
>>
>>In regarding Zoom lenses...here's what I'm saying. Nikkor calls them....
>>
>>Standard Zoom Lens
>>Zoom lens
>>High Power Zoom Lens
>>Telephoto Lens
>>Super Telephoto
>>Standard Telephoto
>>
>>Now...I can only imagine all these can be called the same thing...because
>>they all do the same thing, right?

>
>
> I don't think you quite understand what zoom means.
>
> Zoom has nothing to do with the magnifying power of a lens.
>
> A zoom lens is nothing more than a lens with a variable
> focal length.
>
> If you take the maximum focal length and divide it by the
> minimum focal length, you have the zoom factor:
>
> A lens that can be adjusted from 28mm to 84mm has a zoom
> of 84/28 = 3X
>
> If you take a 100mm to 300mm lens it also has a
> 3X zoom.. 300/100= 3X
>
> A 200mm to 600mm lens would have a zoom of..
> 600/200 = 3X
>
> Note the X describes the *range* the focal length can
> be adjusted.. It does NOT describe the magnifying
> power of the lens.
>
> The X in zoom lenses isn't the same as the X you
> see in telescopes and binoculars.. In this case the
> X means how close a binocular or telescope can make
> distant objects appear. 10X = 10 times closer.
>
> For a quick primer in 35mm lenses:
>
> Fixed lenses in the range of 50mm to 80mm are considered
> 'standard'. They approximate what our eyes see.
>
> As focal lengths become less than 50, then you go
> towards wide angle.
>
> As focal lengths go above 50mm, then you move towards
> telephoto.
>
> So. For *fixed* lenses you can have three basic formats:
>
> - Wide angle (focal length less than 50)
> - Standard (focal lengths of 50-80)
> - Telephoto (focal lengths over 80)
>
> Note that *all* fixed lenses have a zoom of 1X. Take
> the Nikon 600mm f/4D for instance. This lens has
> tremendous magnifying power.. (Roughly equal to a
> 12X set of binoculars)... BUT if you use the zoom
> formula (Max focal length / Min focal length), you wind up
> with: 600mm/600mm = 1X
>
> All fixed lenses (no matter how powerful) have a
> zoom of 1X.. Of course, no fixed lenses are called
> zoom lenses, so the point is moot
>
> If you make lenses with variable focal lengths (zoom)
> then they can fall into the same categories.
>
> If you look at at a 17-35mm lens, both focal lengths
> are under 50mm so both are considered wide angle.
> A 14-35mm lens is a wide angle zoom. Despite this
> being a 2.5X zoom lens, it makes things appear
> smaller and further away. It has NO magnifying
> power.
>
> So.. For zoom lenses you can also have three formats:
>
> - Wide angle zooms
> - Standard zooms
> - Telephoto zooms
>
> Nikon goes a bit further and uses adjectives like
> Super and High power. These are just catch phrases.
>
> One would expect a Super telephoto lens to have more
> power than a standard telephoto.. And, in fact they do:
>
> A 105 mm telephoto is a Standard telephoto
> A 600 mm telephoto is a Super telephoto.
>
> Here's an exercise that will make what I've said
> apparent..
>
> Go to Nikon's web site for thier lenses:
>
> http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=5
>
> Look at all the Zoom lenses. Find a zoom lens that has a
> fixed (or single) focal length.. Bet you can't.
>
> Now try find a fixed focal length lens that is
> described as a zoom
>
>
>
>



---
avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0518-1, 05/02/2005
Tested on: 5/3/2005 11:29:06 PM
avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Software.
http://www.avast.com



 
Reply With Quote
 
Ron Hunter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-04-2005
Xman wrote:
> I know marketing kind of changes things around for companies to make more
> money and will sell one thing and then change the name and sell it again for
> a different product. Is this what is going on when camera/lens makers call
> lenses different names?
>
> In regarding Zoom lenses...here's what I'm saying. Nikkor calls them....
>
> Standard Zoom Lens
> Zoom lens
> High Power Zoom Lens
> Telephoto Lens
> Super Telephoto
> Standard Telephoto
>
> Now...I can only imagine all these can be called the same thing...because
> they all do the same thing, right?
>
> I'm just a little confused while shopping for lenses while there are so many
> different names that companies are calling them.
>
>
>

Don't be confused. Lens quality still follows quality manufacturers.
The amount of zoom is still determined the same way, and you can ignore
the fancy names, and look at the quality reputation of the company, and
the numbers on the lens.


--
Ron Hunter http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another question about digital zoom (in video mode lossless zoom possible?) klausa Digital Photography 9 07-30-2005 09:55 PM
zoom In/zoom Out an Image dwurity@gmail.com Java 1 02-15-2005 01:55 PM
zoom In/zoom Out an Image dwurity@gmail.com Java 1 02-14-2005 03:16 PM
Re: Difference between C-40 zoom [D-40 zoom] and c-4000 zoom Stefan Patric Digital Photography 0 08-23-2003 06:58 PM
Re: Difference between C-40 zoom [D-40 zoom] and c-4000 zoom Ronny Svensson Digital Photography 0 08-23-2003 06:22 PM



Advertisments