Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Picture Cooler

Picture Cooler

Barry

I recently read in another newsgroup about the noise reduction
software Picture Cooler. At this time it is a free download. The link:

http://www.denoiser.shorturl.com

I've used it on several jpeg and tiff files. For a review of the
program you can go to:

http://www.michaelalmond.com/Articles/noise10.htm

While I most often do any noise reduction on my RAW files using
BibblePro, I've tried Picture Cooler on several jpeg's and tiff files
(both 8 and 16 bit). It's quite effective. IMO, it is definitely
worth trying.

J_Bird

Barry wrote:
> I recently read in another newsgroup about the noise reduction
> software Picture Cooler. At this time it is a free download. The link:
>
> http://www.denoiser.shorturl.com
>
> I've used it on several jpeg and tiff files. For a review of the
> program you can go to:
>
> http://www.michaelalmond.com/Articles/noise10.htm
>

> While I most often do any noise reduction on my RAW files using
> BibblePro, I've tried Picture Cooler on several jpeg's and tiff files
> (both 8 and 16 bit). It's quite effective. IMO, it is definitely
> worth trying.

Note, this is beta software. I did download it on an older machine and
it is extreamly buggy at this time. If you decide to try it back up your
registry or set a system restore point. This program needs much work.

Codex

On Mon, 02 May 2005 13:40:14 -0400, J_Bird <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Note, this is beta software. I did download it on an older machine and
>it is extreamly buggy at this time. If you decide to try it back up your
>registry or set a system restore point. This program needs much work.

Thanks for the heads up. I was about to download it but I think I'll
pass after reading your post.

chrlz@go.com

Also note that by posting a message about the software, you get a free
serial number for when it stops being free...! I'll take a look at it,
but if I post a message about it (other than this one!), it will
contain a fair review of its effectiveness, *and* a disclaimer about
the fact that there is an incentive to post the message!

Barry

On Mon, 02 May 2005 13:40:14 -0400, J_Bird <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Barry wrote:
>> I recently read in another newsgroup about the noise reduction
>> software Picture Cooler. At this time it is a free download. The link:
>>
>> http://www.denoiser.shorturl.com
>>
>> I've used it on several jpeg and tiff files. For a review of the
>> program you can go to:
>>
>> http://www.michaelalmond.com/Articles/noise10.htm
>>

>> While I most often do any noise reduction on my RAW files using
>> BibblePro, I've tried Picture Cooler on several jpeg's and tiff files
>> (both 8 and 16 bit). It's quite effective. IMO, it is definitely
>> worth trying.
>>

>Note, this is beta software. I did download it on an older machine and
>it is extreamly buggy at this time. If you decide to try it back up your
>registry or set a system restore point. This program needs much work.

I had absolutely no problem whatsoever installing the program. In
another post someone wrote about the free serial number. Certainly
that's made clear on the web site. Also, as far as an independent
review, I had included a link to a review by Michael Almond.

Whether or not a person wants to try beta software is certainly a
personal issue. If the writer's marketing plan is to offer a free
serial number that by itself does not diminish the software's
effectiveness.

No flame intended here. I really just wanted to clear up 2 things:

1. For me on my system I had *no* problems
2. Clever marketing is not in itself bad

Ron Hunter

Barry wrote:
> On Mon, 02 May 2005 13:40:14 -0400, J_Bird <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Barry wrote:
>>
>>>I recently read in another newsgroup about the noise reduction
>>>software Picture Cooler. At this time it is a free download. The link:
>>>
>>> http://www.denoiser.shorturl.com
>>>
>>>I've used it on several jpeg and tiff files. For a review of the
>>>program you can go to:
>>>
>>> http://www.michaelalmond.com/Articles/noise10.htm
>>>

>>>While I most often do any noise reduction on my RAW files using
>>>BibblePro, I've tried Picture Cooler on several jpeg's and tiff files
>>>(both 8 and 16 bit). It's quite effective. IMO, it is definitely
>>>worth trying.
>>>

>>Note, this is beta software. I did download it on an older machine and
>>it is extreamly buggy at this time. If you decide to try it back up your
>>registry or set a system restore point. This program needs much work.

> I had absolutely no problem whatsoever installing the program. In
> another post someone wrote about the free serial number. Certainly
> that's made clear on the web site. Also, as far as an independent
> review, I had included a link to a review by Michael Almond.
>
> Whether or not a person wants to try beta software is certainly a
> personal issue. If the writer's marketing plan is to offer a free
> serial number that by itself does not diminish the software's
> effectiveness.
>
> No flame intended here. I really just wanted to clear up 2 things:
>
> 1. For me on my system I had *no* problems
> 2. Clever marketing is not in itself bad

I also had no problem. The program installed correctly, the serial
number arrived instantly, and the program accepted it. It needs some
work, but does seem to do what it is claimed to do, although my results
weren't as good as the examples...

--
Ron Hunter http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)