Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > D70 first impressions

D70 first impressions

Richard

Just got my D70 and wanted to share some of my first pictures.

http://tinyurl.com/drbuv

newsbirdie2@hotmail.com

Pictures look nice. Did you use the kit lens? I'm curious why you
choose the D70 over the Canon DR 350 XT? I'm currently debating
between these two myself.

Sheldon

news:vEqce.355$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just got my D70 and wanted to share some of my first pictures.
>

> http://tinyurl.com/drbuv

Looks good. Did you make any adjustments to the default settings, and what
mode are you shooting in?

Thanks.

Sheldon

Parker

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Pictures look nice. Did you use the kit lens? I'm curious why you
> choose the D70 over the Canon DR 350 XT? I'm currently debating
> between these two myself.

Go for the Canon - and that's not the knee-jerk advice of a blindfolded
'Cannonite'

I've recently used both cameras and found the D70 to be a typical Sony
chipped offering - harsh pictures that initially convey a false sense of
sharpness, but which turn out to have little real fine detail and incapable
of supporting large crops without degenerating the image.

I ran a lot of comparison shots on both cameras and found the Canon to be
consistently better in every respect - colour, detail, resolution (expected
because of the larger pixel count) and built in flash functionality.

Interestingly, the pop-up flash was the best I've ever seen on a 'cheap'
camera - absolutely no trace of red eye in dozens of shots. The Nikon fared
much worse, despite using red eye reduction.

Nikon noise wasn't *too* bad - but nowhere near as good as the 350D - in
fact, when looking at photo's taken with Canon the high ISO's came as a
constant surprise - to someone like me with no previous experience of
Canon's they just seemed impossibly 'clean' at 800.

The deciding test (for me) was a full auto (in both cameras) shot of a
cupboard containing the usual collection of kitchen cleaning stuff -
bleaches, soap powders, etc, etc. On the Canon shot is was possible to
clearly read every single label and bottle from about 6 feet. The D70 had
less colour, and the printing on the labels was hard to make out due to
every third or fourth letter being rendered as a sort of italicised
blue/green blur.

Remember also that the D70 lens is supposed to be far superior to the 18-55
Canon - so if the 350D can produce such good results with an inferior lens
it should really excel with better glass.

Finally, I *wanted* the Nikon to be better because I liked the size and
solidity of the thing as well as the wealth of manual controls - however,
the final image is what counts, and there is absolutely no doubt that the
Canon romps home in that respect.

My final choice is a 350D and a battery grip (still deciding on a decent
'budget' lens.

HTH.

Paul Rubin

Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Just got my D70 and wanted to share some of my first pictures.
> http://tinyurl.com/drbuv

Nice shots. I can see you're not in the US. You'd get arrested here
for taking pictures of a bridge like that. The cops would think you
were planning to blow it up or something ;-(.

Ken Tough

Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Just got my D70 and wanted to share some of my first pictures.

No flood waters this year then?

--
Ken Tough

Thomas T. Veldhouse

Paul Rubin <http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> Just got my D70 and wanted to share some of my first pictures.
>> http://tinyurl.com/drbuv

> Nice shots. I can see you're not in the US. You'd get arrested here
> for taking pictures of a bridge like that. The cops would think you
> were planning to blow it up or something ;-(.

I am not aware of this bridge, so it could be a coincidence. But ...
there is a Red River on the Dakota/Minnesota border that flows north ...
so my assumption is that this is the same river and in fact, this bridge
would be in the United States. But you never now what happens when you
assume

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse
Spammers please contact me at (E-Mail Removed).

Richard

My choice for the Nikon was based on having owned 4 35 mm a/f Nikon
bodies and a multitude of lenses. I sold the bodies and have a few
lenses that I will use on the D70.
I used the 18-70mm kit lens fopr the pictures.
Richard

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Pictures look nice. Did you use the kit lens? I'm curious why you
> choose the D70 over the Canon DR 350 XT? I'm currently debating
> between these two myself.

Richard

I used the "P" mode for most pictures. I did go to aperture Priority
for a few that I wanted to ensure more DOF with. I also used photoshop
to sharpen the pictures and to adjust the brightness and colors a bit.
Also took out a light standard or two and a bit of junk (trees and
branches) in the water.
Richard

Sheldon wrote:

> "Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:vEqce.355$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Just got my D70 and wanted to share some of my first pictures.
>>

>>http://tinyurl.com/drbuv

> Looks good. Did you make any adjustments to the default settings, and what
> mode are you shooting in?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Sheldon
> (E-Mail Removed)

Richard

Not so far this year
We did have a rather large snow fall this winter and it melted at the
right time at the right speed. The Red is still high and no where like
it was in '97. I suppose if we had a large amount of rain fall anytime
soon the sand bags would reappear.
Richard